• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Caryota gigas

Palmlover

I got a Caryota Gigas seedling from a friend two years ago. Since then it started to grow pretty good, so I decided to plant it and see how huge it will grow. So this is a picture of it before and after its planted. I will posted growth as it shoots up to the sky.

post-5160-039615600 1311379063_thumb.jpg

post-5160-082597300 1311379077_thumb.jpg

All the best. May that King Kong palm get to King Kong proportions for you. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Wonderful, awesome palms. Lots of water is key to reasonably fast growth. I put mine on a hill where it's starved for water. It would be 3 times the size if I'd put in the correct place, but I didn't know any better back then. Good luck with yours!

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Also keeping my similar-sized gigas potted for now - for this very reason. Too many monsters of botany already well-established, including Caryota ochlandra and himalayana. Thanks for confirming my suspicions about encouraging the thing and look forward to the pictorial updates!

Its roots have just hit Australia. FOOP!

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

Yes water is the key! Every since I water it three times a week its been growing fast. The trunk had doubled in size over the last few months.

Mine's about the same size right now. These guys get very big, with fantastic leaves and leaflets usually seen on distant planets. Caryota gigas have their own zip code.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I have a Caryota himalaya. When she pulls a new leaf, another leaf get dry, she has only two sheets. I think I will replace with something else.

ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

I have a Caryota himalaya. When she pulls a new leaf, another leaf get dry, she has only two sheets. I think I will replace with something else.

Have you a photo Antonio ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Tomorrow I will take one

ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

Here a picture of Caryota gigas near Cherrapunjee, India. Its the wettest place on earth!

Alexander

Here's the photo

x.jpg?t=1311497288

Edited by MAUSER
ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

All great photos of a lovely palm. This one take slightly longer to take off until it has a very thick stem but after that its the fastest palm on the planet.

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Mauser , is it just me, or does the soil look really, really dry? That could be the problem right there.

Mauser , is it just me, or does the soil look really, really dry? That could be the problem right there.

The palm tree has enough water, but the result is not what I expected from this plant. In my area the Caryota give many problems.

ESMUR3000000030009A.gif