• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ridiculously tall palms

kepel

I have a fetish for tall palms, so I thought I'd post some of the taller palms i've photographed in the past

About 3 years ago, in Cambodia's Angkor Wat temple complex (Borassus flabellifer):

451.jpg

2 years ago, in Hawaii's Foster Botanical Gardens (Roystonea oleracea):

208.jpg

Then just this month, in Peradeniya, Sri Lanka (Ceylon). 1st one is Oncosperma tigillarum (nibung palm) , 2nd is Livistona rotundifolia (anahaw palm):

P1000853.jpg

P1000843.jpg

• Upvote 1

Breathtaking, :drool: thanks for posting.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Its...ridiculous. Jokes aside, great photos.

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

very cool! i saw "oncos" at bogor botanical garden but nowhere near that tall! :drool:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Beautiful photos. Thanks for posting them.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Wow. Love it. :D

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

KEPEL!

Sensational pictures!

For someone with only two posts, you've created a huge stir . . . .

Welcome to our group!

Join us in chat . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Almost blew a gasket when I saw this Bactris gasipaes in Hilo.

post-1300-041772500 1311818837_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Hey, thanks guys.... :winkie: ....will try to post more as I sift through my files. Love seeing the photos here as well. I've lurked for the longest time and only started posting recently.

Amazing photos Kepel! Feel free to post more pictures...:drool:

:) Jonathan

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Hey, thanks guys.... :winkie: ....will try to post more as I sift through my files. Love seeing the photos here as well. I've lurked for the longest time and only started posting recently.

Please, LURK NO MORE!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Kepel,

Welcome to PalmTalk! :) Hope you have many more photos! Those are spectacular! And here's my addition - taken five minutes ago against the special light of the evening sun. Just stepped a few feet away from my front door and aimed the camera towards my neigbbor - two Pigafetta elata. :)

Aloha,

Bo-Göran

post-22-062274000 1311825970_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Great photos, I too love tall palms, they give structure and age to a garden. Unfortunately many gardeners I know chop them out when they get tall.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

One reason palms don't always reach such heights - lightning strikes, as happens here in Pinellas County, FL.

Tom
Mid-Pinellas (St. Petersburg) Florida, USA

Member of Palm Society 1973-2012
Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum development 1977-1991
Chapter President 1983-84
Palm Society Director 1984-88

Kepel, welcome. Fantastic photos. Those Oncosperma are my favorites, but I'll never be able to grow them this tall.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Very cool shots :drool:

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Borassus is one of my favorite palms. That is now my desktop!

52% 9B / 42% 10A / 6% "Other"

Brandon.gif

wowzers!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

wowzers!

jeepers!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Zoinks! :mrlooney:

I made that Oncosperma my desktop.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Aloha Kepel, and welcome to PalmTalk!

A little over a year ago I was invited to be a part of a small group that ventured up to see the only native stand of Pritchardia schattaueri. There are only about 13 of these stately natives left. The tallest (and presumably oldest) is pictured on the left in this link:

Tallest Pritchardia schattaueri

We estimated the height of this specimen to be about 120 feet. To provide some reference, of the 3 people in the picture, the person furthest to the right (center of picture) is just under 7 feet tall.

gmp

Wow, Kepel! Welcome! Totally truly amazing photos. I still don't see how some of these palms survive high winds with all the wind resistance up top. Palms are truly resilient in more ways than one.

I would take any of those palms any day, to add height, depth, structure and beauty to my humble yard. I guess my L. rotundifolia, now 2-3 ft tall, probably won't add that height, depth, structure and beauty before we retire and sell the house? Humor, humor.

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

Great pictures!

Here's my favorite tall palm :drool:

Ceroxylon Quindiuense...up to 200'+

Tallest Monocot in this world.

post-4559-017203900 1311980012_thumb.jpg

post-4559-097686200 1311980075_thumb.jpg

Great pictures!

Here's my favorite tall palm :drool:

Ceroxylon Quindiuense...up to 200'+

Tallest Monocot in this world.

That second photo is very impressive.

Stunning...no other word describes it...as had been mentioned before, such grandeur is never possible here with thunderstorms and lightning ...

Really cool pics

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

These would be refereed to as "lightning rods" here, unfortunately. I would love to have a 50ft.+ palm in my yard to add scale.

52% 9B / 42% 10A / 6% "Other"

Brandon.gif

Kepel, there's something about fetishism

Just give in!

jUST POST MORE PICTURES

Dancing in front of the police station

Jim, the second pic is so surreal....dreamy.

Spent a few summers in Mt.Pleasant, with a few trips to Fairfield and other small towns in the area. Good memories.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Jim, the second pic is so surreal....dreamy.

Spent a few summers in Mt.Pleasant, with a few trips to Fairfield and other small towns in the area. Good memories.

Yea,I agree,cool pic.

Glad to hear it,looks like your in a nice place now too!

Very tall Washingtonia robusta are a signature part of the southern California skyline, but these exotic specimens from around the world in everyone's photos make for a very exciting thread. Anyone have more?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Marcelo,

Again welcome! Your lurking was a pretty good idea, now onward with your many remarkable photos of palms for us to keep marvelling at! :):)

Karolyn

Enjoying MY home and garden in Leilani Estates, "K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden"

Wow Jim, did you take these pictures? Keep them coming!

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Dancing in front of the police station

Must be the mood I'm in, but Dave, that line has got me giggling..

Kepel ? there's an island off the coast of central Queensland called Great Keppel, I hereby prounouce it yours for a day.. :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.