• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia trees and there seeds.

ErikSJI

Some photos of Butia odorata and there seeds. Past threads have discussed about the round seed and the football shaped ones. Maybe someone can explain to me what the differences are. As these Butia's put off both shaped seed as I thought all Butia's did.

post-1930-035426600 1312558526_thumb.jpg

post-1930-068694100 1312558594_thumb.jpg

post-1930-056811200 1312558690_thumb.jpg

post-1930-061784800 1312558776_thumb.jpg

post-1930-046210400 1312558846_thumb.jpg

post-1930-092263600 1312558904_thumb.jpg

Some photos of Butia odorata and there seeds. Past threads have discussed about the round seed and the football shaped ones. Maybe someone can explain to me what the differences are. As these Butia's put off both shaped seed as I thought all Butia's did.

I guess I am in the photos posting mood.

post-1930-029226300 1312559233_thumb.jpg

post-1930-002988400 1312559267_thumb.jpg

post-1930-098289100 1312559299_thumb.jpg

post-1930-003953400 1312559349_thumb.jpg

Last photo is of seeds cleaned from one clump. It clearly has both round seeds and football shaped seeds.

post-1930-026193300 1312559425_thumb.jpg

post-1930-058700800 1312559484_thumb.jpg

post-1930-005366400 1312559544_thumb.jpg

post-1930-011460600 1312559576_thumb.jpg

Last photo is of seeds cleaned from one clump. It clearly has both round seeds and football shaped seeds.

Nice Photos

ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

Nice Photos

Thanks.

You can train squirrels to play football with the football shaped ones!

I would think the shape may be affected by where they are, on the bract? Maybe some are forced to elongate being squished by others?

Edited by santoury

You can train squirrels to play football with the football shaped ones!

I would think the shape may be affected by where they are, on the bract? Maybe some are forced to elongate being squished by others?

Great idea.

post-1930-017556100 1312561662_thumb.jpg

So again the seeds as you can see are different sizes and shapes from the same tree. It has been explained to me about Genotype and phenotype of plants as well as humans. A butia is a butia this is the genetic make up of the tree. Genotype. The way the butia looks or has evolved is the phenotype. Regardless if you are in the mountains of Brazil or your backyard in Florida the pheontype can change and evolve but the genotype will always remain the same.

Wikepedia genotype and phenotype.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genotype-phenotype_distinction

I personally still think it's a result of pressing against each other - squeezing, and such.

You could be right Santoury. As the large seeds small seeds and football shaped seeds. They all come out looking the same when they are germinated. So it confuses me when someone says you can tell this Butia from that Butia because of the shape and size of the seed and what region of the world it is from.

It would make sense I guess. So other Butias that put off nothing but Football seeds are possible more compact and pressing against each other?

post-1930-057234700 1312566975_thumb.jpg

I'm sure that different conditions could result in more squeezing in other Butias - for example, maybe if it's a bit cooler, they may be held tighter together. It'd be an interesting research project.

I'm sure that different conditions could result in more squeezing in other Butias - for example, maybe if it's a bit cooler, they may be held tighter together. It'd be an interesting research project.

If that were the case Santoury it would throw out the idea of identifying Butias across the world because some seed are elongated or round or big. Which I believe should be the case.

Here is an old thread that had some discussion about it. http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=23266&st=40

I have the garden variety Butia Odorata formally know as capitata or whatever they want to call it now. Again it puts of round seeds elongated seeds oval seeds. So does that mean I have a butia capitata x odorata x yatay x fumanchoo? No in my opinion.

Are you suggesting that the seeds are the only way to identify the various Butias? I'll read the thread now - thanks!

That said, I don't even have one yet - or seeds - so when I end up getting seeds, I'll definitely see what shape they are!

Is this seed shape variation unique to Butias? I've seen some differences in Syagrus seeds, but they are all more-or-less oval.

Are you suggesting that the seeds are the only way to identify the various Butias? I'll read the thread now - thanks!

That said, I don't even have one yet - or seeds - so when I end up getting seeds, I'll definitely see what shape they are!

Is this seed shape variation unique to Butias? I've seen some differences in Syagrus seeds, but they are all more-or-less oval.

No I am not suggesting that. What I am suggesting is that seed size and shape is not a good way to determine what kind of Butia's they are. As was discussed in the past.

A butia is a butia hence the Genotype. The outward appearance of the tree would be the pheonotype regardless of seed size,location, cold hardiness. They have adapted and taken on a new look depending on where they are. They all came from the same Gene pool in my opinion.

I personally still think it's a result of pressing against each other - squeezing, and such.

You could be right Santoury. As the large seeds small seeds and football shaped seeds. They all come out looking the same when they are germinated. So it confuses me when someone says you can tell this Butia from that Butia because of the shape and size of the seed and what region of the world it is from.

Erik, you need to buy an airticket to South America. Only by studying wild uncontaminated populations can you start to understand the differences. Palms in cultivation are often hybridised let alone the fact that you are looking at seeds pollinated by Syagrus which is known to affect seed size !!!!

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Erik, you need to buy an airticket to South America. Only by studying wild uncontaminated populations can you start to understand the differences. Palms in cultivation are often hybridised let alone the fact that you are looking at seeds pollinated by Syagrus which is known to affect seed size !!!!

Actually Nigel that bucket of seeds was not pollinated. They are your garden variety Butia odorata. They are from one of Marks double Butia's they were requested from a customer. I noticed while the fruit were growing that they were all different sizes and shapes as well as when they were cleaned. I was told this is normal. Which is why I was confused with what everyone else has been saying.

So if I understand you correctly all of those butias in the photos then would be Butia capitata x archerie x odorata x microspadix and the only way to get a real one is to buy a ticket to South America. Yikes. All trees have been contaminated in one form or another hence why there is so many varieties even in the wild. They all started from one Gene pool hence the name Butia in front of all the species regardless of where you travel in my opinion. I know your travels have taken you far and wide. In your opinion what was the first Butia that all butia's derived from?

post-1930-016553300 1312573413_thumb.jpg

It would make sense though in the difference in size and shape of the seeds. Which would mean the only place you can determine seed size and shape for trees is in the wild. So I should not assume it is what it is here in America by the shape and size because they have all been hybridized.

So, none of the ones on Ebay are pure odorata / capitata ?

I guess it could be suspect and you would be getting a

butia capitata x odorata x yatay x fumanchoo Which would probably be the case from ebay.

Unless your seed source is from South America where the tree originated.

yes, unless you have 100% provenance on your plant you cannot know what it is with 100% certainty. It may well be pure but there is also many hybrids.

The only way to know 100% is in an uncontaimented population.

For example your double from which the seeds came could be perhaps from one seed that gemrinated as a double, one could be pure odorata the other could be odorata x yaty if stray yatay pollen fell on that one stamen.

When you visit a wild population you see some slight seed variation, but never anything on the scale of what you showed in that photo.

Even when you say the seed source is south america is it from wild population or is it from palms in cultivation because taking seeds from cultivated palms is easy ,taking seeds from 400 year old 10 metre trunk odoratas in middle of boggy field is not easy.

Edited by Nigel

Resident in Bristol UK.

yes, unless you have 100% provenance on your plant you cannot know what it is with 100% certainty. It may well be pure but there is also many hybrids.

For example your double from which the seeds came could be perhaps from one seed that gemrinated as a double, one could be pure odorata the other could be odorata x yaty if stray yatay pollen fell on that one stamen.

When you visit a wild population you see some slight seed variation, but never anything on the scale of what you showed in that photo.

Even when you say the seed source is south america is it from wild population or is it from palms in cultivation because taking seeds from cultivated palms is easy ,taking seeds from 400 year old 10 metre trunk odoratas in middle of boggy field is not easy.

Thanks Nigel. That makes the most sense in what I have been trying to figure out for awhile.

Nigel, where do the tallest Butia species grow? (and what species is that?)

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I'm planning on germinating some of mine, how long should they be left out to dry, and should I sow them in Sept. or should I wait till March, I'm near Daytona Beach, thanks, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Thanks Nigel. That makes the most sense in what I have been trying to figure out for awhile.

But again I am still confused. As I believe they are all Hybrids even the 400 year old Yatay. Palms in the wild hybridize just as easy in South America as they are in cultivated palms. These palms have been around way longer then humans and have evolved and adapted to there new environments. Seeds are taken by birds / animals and they fly all around. They drop there seeds in there new environment and it grows and is hybridized by another and this process has been repeated for millions of years. Getting seeds from the wild population and the cultivated ones is no challenge for an animal. They just wait for them to drop on the ground and head south to Chile.

I could be wrong but Butia yatay is a palm native to southern Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay and northern Argentina. It is the tallest of all the species in the Butia genus. According to Wikepedia.

Nigel, where do the tallest Butia species grow? (and what species is that?)

Nigel - I enjoyed this narrative on the internet http://www.butia.co.uk/2008p3.html

In the US perhaps the Butia palms are like getting a mutt female puppy at the animal shelter that then gets loose and comes home knocked up. There seems to be lots of variation on a Butia theme! The good thing is that they can cross with so many other palms. On the Butia Odorato that I get seeds from the fruit shape is a pumpkin but the seed itself is oblong. I don't think they are squishing each close to create the oblong shape since the fruit itself stays very large and round. I think the oblong seed shape came from some stray pollen along the way.

IdolLurker.

Why would it matter if it is the U.S. or South America. There are just as many if not more palms in South America that the Butia is crossing with naturally compared to the United states. In 5 years time I am sure we will find new Butia's out there and slap a new name on it when it has just been cross pollinated and recrossed and recrossed.

With South America having the most varieties of Butia's and its orgin. I would say it is happening on a daily basis of crosses and recrosses.

In the US perhaps the Butia palms are like getting a mutt female puppy at the animal shelter that then gets loose and comes home knocked up. There seems to be lots of variation on a Butia theme! The good thing is that they can cross with so many other palms. On the Butia Odorato that I get seeds from the fruit shape is a pumpkin but the seed itself is oblong. I don't think they are squishing each close to create the oblong shape since the fruit itself stays very large and round. I think the oblong seed shape came from some stray pollen along the way.

I believe Merrill, or maybe it was somebody else made a study some years ago ( where is he because I miss him ? ) and concluded that a large % were already hybridised.

Your palm is not unusual from what you describe. The pumpkin shape fruit is typical of odorata. The seed is not the same as you find in uruguay and south tip of Brasil, but you can find this same seed and fruit in the area to the north , mostly in cultivation. I am not sure if this palm is a product of cultivation and hybridisation or whether it is an original variation as I never found this type in the wild, only in cultivation or on the roadside. I suspect it was a naturally occurring palm in Brasil long ago and maybe some trees remain,it needs further study using some wild remnant population.

Resident in Bristol UK.