• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ravenea glauca

Mike in Nelson

There are a couple of these for sale at my local garden centre. What's the growing requirements for this palm?

Regards

Mike

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

G'day Mike,

Grab them !

They are a more dainty version of the common Majestic.

They don't have such a constant demand for water as their bigger cousin, are hardier (to both heat and cold in my opinion) and also not so demanding for nutrients.

They won't yellow up on you if things aren't perfect with the soil.

One of my favorites. :)

Regards

Michael

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Abuse them!

I had one growing from seed in a soft drink bottle behind a blind in a bathroom. It almost died about three times through drying out. So, I put a jar under it and filled it with water and forgot about it again......

Months later, I pulled up the blind to see a half dead glauca pushing out a deformed frond, covered in dust and with all its roots out of the bottle growing in algae filled water. I had to actually pot it up with the bottom of the plastic bottle and it's now doing great.

I think I'll go kick it.

Take home message - they look dainty but ain't! Tough!

Cheers,

Adam

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

great palm, great plant, buy them out, do it..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Take home message - they look dainty but ain't! Tough!

Cheers,

Adam

Well, if its passed the Adam trash test its one tough palm.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Thanks for the replys. Adam, I'll be sure to give a good beating when I get it home. :lol:

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Thanks for the replys. Adam, I'll be sure to give a good beating when I get it home. :lol:

That's the stuff! Treat it mean, keep it keen!

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Well as I am a gentle soul and not a brutish sadist like people whose name begins with an A, I have to agree with Miccles and the A person about this palm. Have I killed one ? Well...um...yes but....I forgot it was there and a climbing bauhinia galpinii buried it alive. However they generally survive anything my climate throws at them, plus they usually look pretty too.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Well as I am a gentle soul and not a brutish sadist like people whose name begins with an A, I have to agree with Miccles and the A person about this palm. Have I killed one ? Well...um...yes but

Peachy !!! You killed a palm that passed the Adam trash test ... you have a hidden dark side :floor:

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Well as I am a gentle soul and not a brutish sadist like people whose name begins with an A, I have to agree with Miccles and the A person about this palm. Have I killed one ? Well...um...yes but

Peachy !!! You killed a palm that passed the Adam trash test ... you have a hidden dark side :floor:

She's never hidden that side very well, Nigel! :mrlooney:

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Mike

THey're tough, but well,

They like full fun

Fast Drainage

regular water

Plenty of heat

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Mike, you can't go wrong with this palm, they do really well here. I love 'em. Quite large ones come up on Trademe every now and then for ludicrously low prices. I've seen habitat shots of them growing on cliff faces at quite high altitude so they surely are one of the toughest Madagascans.

cheers

Richard

Wasn't aware they were for sale on Trademe, Rich. Probably cheaper than the DIYs too!

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Mike

THey're tough, but well,

They like full fun

Fast Drainage

regular water

Plenty of heat

Mine grow well below light canopy,with good drainage,regular water and cannot say plenty of heat because our ´´normal´´ summer days are around 25°C sometimes reaching 31°C.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice Jo. They look healthy. I had a small one a few years ago that didn't make it. Your photos have inspired me to have another go et Glauca.

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Looking good Jo. Is one of those the little one I got from Bob's years ago? R. glaucas are great for our climate, much more reliable and better looking than R. rivularis.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Hi Tims! :mrlooney:

Tim H, they put up with anything, here. But your 'anything' and my 'anything' may be different!

Tim B, the littlest one is the palm you swapped me for a Lepi - good spotting. The only drawback is slow growth - I wonder if they're as slow in habitat? If they grow faster in the subtropics, then perhaps this is the perfect species for growing up North and selling as 'established' palms down here.

Hi Tims! :mrlooney:

Tim H, they put up with anything, here. But your 'anything' and my 'anything' may be different!

Tim B, the littlest one is the palm you swapped me for a Lepi - good spotting. The only drawback is slow growth - I wonder if they're as slow in habitat? If they grow faster in the subtropics, then perhaps this is the perfect species for growing up North and selling as 'established' palms down here.

Could I be sensing a business opportunity here ??

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

:D Is that enough enthusiasm for you? Also one of my, very favourite small palms, soooooooo tough, wildly under-utilised in temperate gardens. Here is my trio after 8 years in-ground.

And to top it off, a good crop of Manadarins and Lemons too, Jo. :greenthumb:

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

I remember getting my first R glauca's in from Rosebud Farm around 04 as one leafers. They had about 30cm of roots and about 5cm above ground so I had to put them in 200mm pots on a bit of a sideways angle to fit the roots under the soil. It felt weird planting such a young plant in such a huge pot and I expected losses. Not one single loss resulted and I left them in those pots until around 2010. By then the soil was total goo, but the plants were anywhere from 60cm tall to 1.5m tall. Once repotted they never looked back. This beautiful species can take considerable neglect and they reward you for such lack of effort with some of the daintiest neatest leaves around.

I have planted 3 in the ground in close proximity to each other in the hope that one day they'll seed (need male and female). Fresh seed would be a bonus as seed out of Madagascar is generally too old to germinate well. Unfortunately the ones I planted are in a bit of shade so it may be a while before they flower, but they look great. This species also has the right dimensions for modern suburbia. Combined with it's easy care the only thing holding it back from becoming the next big mass produced palm IMO, is the low viability of wild collected seed.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 11 years later...

Ravenea glauca is one tough/hardy palm, as noted in this thread! I'm relieved that my in-ground R. glauca is just now leafing out after our difficult winter. It does appreciate some midday shade where I live, but otherwise seems to do well here in NorCal.

Ravenea_glauca.png

• Like 2