• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Silver Palm ID please

TimHopper

Riding bikes with my son around the hood this morning, and came upon this great looking silver palm. Can someone ID it please. It is growing at an oceanfront home just a few blocks from my house. The photo does not really show the brilliant siver color. Tim

silverpalm.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

I concur..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks guys. I don't see these around here. I wonder how it will take the heat and humidity of coastal Florida as it gets bigger?

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Thanks guys. I don't see these around here. I wonder how it will take the heat and humidity of coastal Florida as it gets bigger?

Tim, it's looking really healthy. I don't think it would have made it to that size if it didn't like conditions. Perry

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

http://www.slopalms.com

There's a pair of Brahea armata in Galveston, TX (average summer low is 80*F, dewpoint is also about as high) that survived '89.

:) Jonathan

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Tim,

I have a couple B. armatas and they don't hold quite as many leaves as the one you have pictured. While the small B. claras that I have, while not a valid species, definitely holds more leaves and handles the N. FL humidity better than B. armata.

Nice palm for North Florida regardless of what it is. Is it at a vacant property?

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Also, from my limited experience, the bigger they get, the better they handle the humidity. B. armatas "probably" do not like the excessively humid air layer at ground level.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

OK, I’m certainly not an expert but this looks like a Chamaerops humilis var. argentea. Am I off in left field on this?

Chamaerops humilis var. argentea

post-4967-043292900 1318344418_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tomw

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

Tom, I thought the varietal name was "cerifera" rather than "argentea," but you are not off track. That is the silver form of C. humilis.

Jody

Tom, I thought the varietal name was "cerifera" rather than "argentea," but you are not off track. That is the silver form of C. humilis.

Jody

Wouldn't it be suckering by the time it reached that size? I have a much smaller one in a pot that produces loads of suckers.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

Jody

Wouldn't it be suckering by the time it reached that size? I have a much smaller one in a pot that produces loads of suckers.

Oh, that plant is suckering! And, like most things in the palm world, there is much variation in the level of suckering in this species and this form. Here is mine:

post-1566-039599700 1318385293_thumb.jpg

It has about 3' of trunk on the main stem and only 3 or 4 very small suckers at the base. I have seen others, though, that are so dense with suckers that you can't make out a primary stem.

Jody

I agree that the palm in the first post is a Brahea species.

As to the nomemclature of Chamaerops, the term 'cerifera' is of recent horticultural usage and is not valid. It is properly Chamaerops humilis var. argentea Andre (1885) according to the Kew World Checklist of Selected Plant Families. :)

San Francisco, California

Thanks for the clarification, Darold. It is still referred to here in the FL nursey/landscaping industry as "cerifera."

Jody