• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm fronds as mulch

velutina

Is there any reason why I shouldn't use Washingtonia robusta fronds (shredded in a wood clipper) as mulch? I ask because I am constantly throwing away fronds (~50/week) and constantly buying mulch from the store.

I recall reading once that it isn't a good mulch because of the decomposition rate, chemical composition or something like that.

Any thoughts?

Adam 

You may have to fertilize more since the decaying material could leach nitrogen from your soil, but otherwise, why send those fronds to the landfill?! Chop em and lay em! :)

good luck trying to send them through a chipper.

Good point! Are the stems too fibrous or what?

Anyone know of a chipper that could handle it? I've seen tree services shred them, but they have very large, expensive units.

Adam 

Palm fronds make a great mulch, layed down flat or chipped. I lay my large fans down and just chop my pinnate leaves up with the hand pruners, then at some point I just throw a top layer of wood chips on them. If you have a 10 hp chipper you can chip Washingtonia fronds no problem as long as you let them dry out first. They won't chip if they're still green.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

When I compost or mulch, I try to avoid anything with teeth or spines as they usually take forever to decompose and putting your hand into compost soil with teeth waiting to bite you is no fun. Copernicia teeth take forever to decompose. I tried to cut my fronds up into smaller pieces and hide them behind shrubs and hedges. I wanted to compost in place to improve the soil, not send things to the landfill and save on buying mulch. My neighbors had an entirely different impression on what I was doing and called Code Enforcement to complain about the public nuisance of a rodent attractant.

Palm fronds do not mulch well through a chipper. They tend to clog them up or just come out a big, fibrous tangled mess. It would still make usable mulch but is hard to work with and unattractive. And it takes about the same amount of time to chip some fronds in a chipper as it would to go to a store, buy your mulch and spread it.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Common machines get stuck with the fibers. I'll wait I win the lottery to buy this machine :mrlooney:

I almost cut my thumb off with a gas hedge trimmer, I can't imagine what I'd do to myself with one of those.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

When I compost or mulch, I try to avoid anything with teeth or spines as they usually take forever to decompose and putting your hand into compost soil with teeth waiting to bite you is no fun. Copernicia teeth take forever to decompose. I tried to cut my fronds up into smaller pieces and hide them behind shrubs and hedges. I wanted to compost in place to improve the soil, not send things to the landfill and save on buying mulch. My neighbors had an entirely different impression on what I was doing and called Code Enforcement to complain about the public nuisance of a rodent attractant.

Palm fronds do not mulch well through a chipper. They tend to clog them up or just come out a big, fibrous tangled mess. It would still make usable mulch but is hard to work with and unattractive. And it takes about the same amount of time to chip some fronds in a chipper as it would to go to a store, buy your mulch and spread it.

Don't you just love some neighbors?! My dad and I helped cut down an infected gumbo limbo(spiraling white fly)in his next door neighbor's yard. The neighbor was out of town when we notified him of the infestation, and he concured we cut it down. When he got back in town, he started yelling and giving ultimatums because the stump was not removed. "finish the job!!" he kept saying, "or else!" Nevermind we never asked for any money; we just wanted to stop the infestation. Long story short, I made him promise not to EVER speak to us again. With the tree gone, and no more nonsense from professional CPR guy, I'd say it was a win win! :D

Fronds make good mulch but you need a machine with the grinders not the blades. Even a small one with grinders will chomp fronds without a hassle.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Be wary of Phoenix reclinata. I have a spine imbedded in my upper arm. Not comfortable.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

good luck trying to send them through a chipper.

They go right on through, if you have a "cuisinart" style chipper, i.e., one with a whirling blade instead of a spiked drum doing the shredding.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This shredder works great

post-208-084513200 1318475790_thumb.jpg

post-208-005942300 1318475848_thumb.jpg

post-208-073126100 1318475819_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.