• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syzygium Megacarpa

Pedro 65

An easy grower for subtropical and tropical areas is the beautiful Syzygium Megacarpa or as its known in New Guinea "Giant Lau Lau"

A fast grower in damp heavy soils, as you can see from the pics its keeping up with Arenga Pinnata,Raphia Australis, and Roystonea sp

Giant Lau Lau flowers are spectacular being all along the stems of braches and on the trunk, the fruits are deep pink and grapefruit size.

Heres a few pics of one having a new flush not unlike mangosteen and mango.

post-0-071961400 1319102706_thumb.jpg Keeping speed of big palms

post-0-061955700 1319102699_thumb.jpgRed Flush

post-0-018628700 1319102694_thumb.jpgFlush from red to gold with size 10 runner for scale

• Like 1

How's the fruit?

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

How's the fruit?

Matt, like a lot of fruits from the Lilli Pilly Family, fluffy, lightly perfumed taste, hard to describe until you eat one. My Kids love eating them and they love growing them as they germinate VERY easily, happy to send seed to anyone when it fruits again in march.

Yes please... Pete :)

Ari, the kids have sprouted a LOT, there sprouted inground not in pots as theres so many, i will happily send this then go and dig a heap up and bare root them, they should be fine, i will send plenty incase they dont enjoy the journey. The first ones i saw that caught my eye were in Flecker Botanic Gardens Cairns, stunning, my shot does not do the tree any justice. Ari, pm me your address again and i will express them off on Monday morning . Pete

To popper1, pm me your address and i will post seed in march. Jude,(Santoury) no doubt you are keen.Jude, I cant and wont collect camphor laurel or ice cream bean (inga sp) as they are an absolute nightmare tree weed here. Pete

These are great , mine grew 2m a year but blown over by Yasi .. its shooting from the base .

Friends who collect cassowary droppings :rolleyes: I know dont laugh ...

Have found that they love this fruit and its is now spread far and wide around the rAINFOREST

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Okay I swore no more lillipillies but after seeing that one, I just found a space in the yard. I have a weakness for coloured foliage and big leaves. Off to do the nursery circuit on the weekend

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I'd love some seeds, please put me on the list. I'm a sucker for any Syzygium or Eugenia (or Myrciaria...pretty much any unusual fruit tree).

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

I'd love some seeds, please put me on the list. I'm a sucker for any Syzygium or Eugenia (or Myrciaria...pretty much any unusual fruit tree).

Matt

No worries Matt, pm your address and remind me again in March. Pete

Pedro--

Are these better suited to warm subtropics to tropics? Or would they take cooler climates, say, equivalent to Brisbane? Trying to decide if better chance in Miami or SoCal...

Great-looking foliage. Reminds me of Lagerstroemia macrocarpa, L. speciosa.

Edited by fastfeat

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Pedro--

Are these better suited to warm subtropics to tropics? Or would they take cooler climates, say, equivalent to Brisbane? Trying to decide if better chance in Miami or SoCal...

Great-looking foliage. Reminds me of Lagerstroemia macrocarpa, L. speciosa.

Ken, im a few hours south of Brisbane, subtropical with an ave rainfall of 2mtrs so it should be a breeze in Miami, Id give it a go in So Cal also as this tree is in a very open area of the gardens but they do enjoy the heavy soil, the Lau Laus we planted in the deep red soil did nothing, they like pretty constant moisture.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 years later...