• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syzygium Wilsonii and sub sp Cryptophlebium

Pedro 65

post-5709-005949000 1319261671_thumb.jpg Syzygium Wilsonii ssp cryptophlebium flushing

post-5709-085907500 1319261683_thumb.jpgSyzy Wilsonii Tennis ball size flowers and flush

These are native to around here , and some very large ones can be seen in the foothills over the road .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

These are native to around here , and some very large ones can be seen in the foothills over the road .

Yes Michael, our favourite rainforest trees we have planted here come from your neck of the woods.

ANOTHER NATIVE IS Ylang-ylang , Canaga odorata . Thought mine was a goner after nearly all branches blown away in Yasi . come back with a vengeance . Must prune it to stay low .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

ANOTHER NATIVE IS Ylang-ylang , Canaga odorata . Thought mine was a goner after nearly all branches blown away in Yasi . come back with a vengeance . Must prune it to stay low .

Love that one too Michael, we have a few that have flowered. awesome tree, stunning smell.

Love that one too Michael, we have a few that have flowered. awesome tree, stunning smell.

Heres another one from your area. Instant arrangement using tha huge leaves of Diploglottis Berniana

post-5709-099761700 1319274913_thumb.jpg

That S. wilsonii doesn't seem to like my place. I have to try again once I have more canopy. I love those D. berniana too, if only it gets a tad faster!!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

That S. wilsonii doesn't seem to like my place. I have to try again once I have more canopy. I love those D. berniana too, if only it gets a tad faster!!!!

Our fastest Berniana Ari are in Very wet areas with a bit of Rustica or Nitrophoska Blue fert given when its raining. Wilsonii sure like to be under a canopy esp the spCrypto

I think this species was offered by folks at TFTS sales in SoFla. Not sure if it'll take cold in SoCal.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Our fastest Berniana Ari are in Very wet areas with a bit of Rustica or Nitrophoska Blue fert given when its raining. Wilsonii sure like to be under a canopy esp the spCrypto

I actually moved my Berniana twice now... I think it doesn't mind where it is now... as it starts to send new leaves. Here is hoping....

Since you like FNQ rainforest tree... I am wondering whether you would know this tree that I have. Apparently, it is from FNQ and the growing habit is like leichardt tree from NT, nice big round leaves but it has silvery bark. Apparently it is related to Leichardt tree, but I can't seem to find information anywhere. Oh... and it is FAST!! I can take pics for you....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I actually moved my Berniana twice now... I think it doesn't mind where it is now... as it starts to send new leaves. Here is hoping....

Since you like FNQ rainforest tree... I am wondering whether you would know this tree that I have. Apparently, it is from FNQ and the growing habit is like leichardt tree from NT, nice big round leaves but it has silvery bark. Apparently it is related to Leichardt tree, but I can't seem to find information anywhere. Oh... and it is FAST!! I can take pics for you....

Regards, Ari :)

Yes Ari, I love FNQ rainforest trees, they love it here. Leichardt tree is Nauclea orientalis ours never flowers but Nauclea cadamba from Asia ( simply sold as Cadamba) grow very fast and open here and flowers quickly, a bit larger than a golf ball. Pretty much idetical trees but Cadamba grow much much fasrer, so i have been planting it rather than Nauc Orientalis All right I will go and take a pic or 2 :D Pete Bottom pic is looking up at Cadamba

Looking up at Cadamba

post-5709-003429100 1319323950_thumb.jpgCadamba towering over other trees in a FNQ section

post-5709-093003000 1319323956_thumb.jpgIn the same planting is the sweet ,sensational smelling Perfume Tree( Cananga odorata)

post-5709-063347900 1319323942_thumb.jpg

I love hearing about these Australian trees-please keep posting!

I will Peter, Australia has so many very beautiful rainforest trees that are so easy to grow. Its a shame that our cities here in oz are packed with trees from England and China. Our worst tree weed here was planted as a street tree many years ago, the ugly toxic Camphor Laurel. Heres a pic of a small planting of mixed trees including small leaf Tamarind and another RProteaceae lower brach creeping out of Musgravea

post-5709-024048900 1319339724_thumb.jpg

post-5709-062718500 1319340078_thumb.jpg A close up of Musgravea Heterophylla

No Pete... I don't think that's it. The bark is smooth & silver. I will send Scott to take pics. I will take pics of the leichardt as well for you.... if it looks any good. The bettle loves eating it to nothing :angry:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I think this species was offered by folks at TFTS sales in SoFla. Not sure if it'll take cold in SoCal.

I was going to ask about this. Some of the tropical trees from the Queensland rainforest do well here. Castanospermum australe for example.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I was going to ask about this. Some of the tropical trees from the Queensland rainforest do well here. Castanospermum australe for example.

Grevillea Robusta ( Silky Oak) would fly in your area Len.

No Pete... I don't think that's it. The bark is smooth & silver. I will send Scott to take pics. I will take pics of the leichardt as well for you.... if it looks any good. The bettle loves eating it to nothing :angry:

Must be something else then Ari. I will wait for the pic. Im resending this beauty, Musgravea Hetrophylla

post-5709-002058000 1319340778_thumb.jpg

It does. It use to be a popular tree to plant but it is brittle and messy so it has lost favor.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Do you have Cyanometra ramiflora, Pete? Does it grow in your area?? You NEED one if you can grow it. Mine starts to take off now....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It does. It use to be a popular tree to plant but it is brittle and messy so it has lost favor.

Yes they do a real leaf drop b4 flowering, stunning flowers though, the lorikeets here love them.

The Huntington has Diploglottis australis outside that survives but doesn't look great. I tried a D. berniana in Florida but lost it due to neglect. I think they may have one inside but I can't quite remember now. I've been trying to get more seed with no luck; if anyone has extra please let me know :-).

San Fernando Valley, California

Do you have Cyanometra ramiflora, Pete? Does it grow in your area?? You NEED one if you can grow it. Mine starts to take off now....

I saw them at Ardens along with SO many other amazing trees but was hunting palms at the time, will have to try one

The Huntington has Diploglottis australis outside that survives but doesn't look great. I tried a D. berniana in Florida but lost it due to neglect. I think they may have one inside but I can't quite remember now. I've been trying to get more seed with no luck; if anyone has extra please let me know :-).

I will keep an eye on mine we have a few sizeable ones, there still finding new Diploglottis in FN Qld, cant remember the name of the last one we got, i will go take a shot