• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coccothrinax that are must haves…

Tomw

Ok, I have a raised bed that is roughly 25 to 30 feet in diameter, and is as much as 2-3 feet and as little as 1 foot in height. I want to make this area a Coccothrinax and cycad habitat, and Im in the process of removing the good soil and replacing it with crushed limestone and silica sand. The candidates so far for this area are: C alexandrii, C borhidiana, C ekmanii, C Miraguama, C boschiana, and C crinita. Fortunately I have great vendors near me like Caribbean Palm Nursery and Holton Nursery where I can get all of these palms. Is there a Coccothrinax that I didnt list that would be a musty have for my new habitat? Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Tomw

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

aztropic,

Your right about including the C montana, I failed to mention that I already have two C montana’s that adorn both sides of a paver sidewalk that leads to my front door.

Thanks for the input.

North Palm Beach

I dont know jack about coccothrinax. does anyone know what the top 3 or 5 hardiest ones are? Im not trying to high-jack yuo thread Tom, i was just wondering... :)

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Tom,

Why are you removing your "good soil"? I would think that the Coccothrinax would perform better if given better soil. From my experience and from what I've seen out here in CA, they do not mind clay or organically rich soil.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I was going to say C. montana but got beat to it. How about C. spissa, C. scoparia, C. moaensis and C. crinita brevicrinus? I'm quite partial toward the Coccos too.

Oh, and C. macroglossa "Azul". Those blue fronds are one of a kind.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Tom,

Why are you removing your "good soil"? I would think that the Coccothrinax would perform better if given better soil. From my experience and from what I've seen out here in CA, they do not mind clay or organically rich soil.

Your right Matt, from what I have experienced, many species of Coccothrinax will grow just fine, and in my opinion maybe faster in a more neutral or mid range pH soil. And respond to added irrigation as well too.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

My personal favorites are : Moanesis, Crinita, Borhidiana, Spissa. But I guess the issue is if you can find them in the sizes that you want.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

I'm surprised that no one mentioned C. miraguama, especially the stiff leaved form.

Also, I really like C. pseudorigida

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Duplicate

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Tom,

Matty,

The reasons that I’m removing the “good soil” are two fold. The natural habitat for most Cuban Coccothrinax palms is sandy soil and lime stone, and from my conversations with Mike H and Dale H the Coccothrinax palms would do great in that type of soil. The other reason is that a lot of the South African blue cycads and Dioons would also prefer this type of soil. I’m not removing all of the soil per say, I started off by removing the soil from 1/3 of the area down to around 3 feet. The other 2/3 I removed around 1 ½ feet of the “good soil”, I’m now in the process of adding 2 parts silica sand to one part crushed limestone I then tilling this into the “good soil”. When I get a mixture of 2 parts sand 1 part lime stone and 1 part good soil, I then shovel this mixture into that 1/3 area. The plan is to do this until the whole area has this type of soil consistently down to 3 feet. So far I’ve added 2 tons of sand and one 1 ton crushed limestone. I have around 1 ½ more tons material to add.

I’m fortunate that someone augmented this property by bring in around 2 - 3 feet of great dark topsoil. When I put in the three paver walkways in I removed a lot of soil to create a good base for the walkways. I then created a lot of raised beds as a way to disposes of this good soil, and most of my plats are happy for it.

North Palm Beach

My personal favorites are : Moanesis, Crinita, Borhidiana, Spissa. But I guess the issue is if you can find them in the sizes that you want.

I was considering the moanesis but it comes from an area of Cuba that the soils are derived from very old serpentine rocks, and they are "extreme" in that they are naturally loaded with lots of metals and unusual elements. The experts in my area say that this is a SLOW and difficult palm to grow, and for that reason I left it out of my list. I think that I may use the spissa in a different part of the yard. It is rally tough to pick out only 6 for this area!

North Palm Beach

I'm surprised that no one mentioned C. miraguama, especially the stiff leaved form.

Also, I really like C. pseudorigida

Mike H collected seed from the pseudorigida around 1998 in habitat and in 2009 they were only 3 or 4 inches tall, pseudorigida is one of the slowest. The pseudorigida is another one that comes from an area of Cuba that the soils are derived from very old serpentine rocks, and that’s why I didn’t list it. C. miraguama is in my original list.

North Palm Beach

Coccothrinax will grow in many different types of soils. I have black muck mixed with sand in my yard and they love it. A wise person once told me " To much sand and you water everyday" he was right.

IMG_2247.jpgIMG_7632.jpg

David

Coccothrinax will grow in many different types of soils. I have black muck mixed with sand in my yard and they love it. A wise person once told me " To much sand and you water everyday" he was right. I do not have any more names to add they are all good to me. C. borhidiana

IMG_2247.jpgIMG_7632.jpg

Edited by Davidl
  • Like 1

David

Coccothrinax hiorami(http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/images/c/c4/Coccothrinax_hiorami_%281%29.jpg) looks like is worth adding to the mix.

High 63F, Low 52F - some drizzle

Wow cool looking palm, but I’m having a difficult time finding good information on the Coccothrinax hiorami.

The Coccothrinax palms are easy to fall in love with; I only wish that I had more room on my property so that I wouldn’t have to limit my choices!

Edited by Tomw

North Palm Beach

Coccothrinax hiorami(http://www.palmpedia...ami_%281%29.jpg) looks like is worth adding to the mix.

High 63F, Low 52F - some drizzle

Wow cool looking palm, but I’m having a difficult time finding good information on the Coccothrinax hiorami.

The Coccothrinax palms are easy to fall in love with; I only wish that I had more room on my property so that I wouldn’t have to limit my choices!

Tom - Mike Harris (Caribbean Palms) has Coccothrinax hiorami which I believe he may have "wild collected". I got mine from him. I know of one growing in St. Pete and another in Tampa (Ray in Tampa) that are in the ground. Both made it through the 2010 winter in very good shape. Amazing considering its habitat origin. Ray posted on another forum that he considers this species "tough as nails".

In my opinion, it definitely deserves to be included in your "must haves" catagory! B)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Moose,

Thanks, I will add it to my list and evaluate the area for spacing of 7 trees instead of 6. I may end up putting the Coccothrinax crinita in an area of my yard where I currently have a hedge. Mike at Caribbean Palms is where I’m sourcing most of these palms anyhow; I’ll ask Mike about it at our next meeting. I’m surprised how little information (on the web) there is on the C. hiorami.

North Palm Beach

Are these Coccothrinax?

I spotted them at the bird market, I was going to start a new thread then saw this one ........ I decided I like them and by chance saw three old potted ones with trunk for sale a week later, then saw this thread and......

These are rare, at least here I have never seen them before but they look a bit like they might be Coccothrinax maybe?? Charming little palms I just wonder how tall they will grow as I need medium tall shade into light, three toghether because I think the crown wont get very big so for height proportion?

I noticed they grow in sun or shade the leaves droop charmingly in the deeper shade.

post-6384-070833900 1329149697_thumb.jpg

post-6384-048471200 1329149719_thumb.jpg

post-6384-027433800 1329149756_thumb.jpg

post-6384-095990100 1329149796_thumb.jpg

post-6384-089925800 1329149815_thumb.jpg

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

ooops I think its Trachycarpus fortunei, no wonder its rare here but growing very well, sorry for the intrusion TomW, I didnt know fortunei had a bare trunk like this only seen fluffy ones in the Euro Zone. Hmmm very exotic.

• Like 1

Cerdic

Thanks Mandrew must have been writing the above as you were answering. Incredible how familiar palms can look so different completely out of their climatic zone..well I suppose we are close to China. Maybe they dont need all that fluff in the sub-tropics.

• Like 1

Cerdic

Moose,

Thanks, I will add it to my list and evaluate the area for spacing of 7 trees instead of 6. I may end up putting the Coccothrinax crinita in an area of my yard where I currently have a hedge. Mike at Caribbean Palms is where I'm sourcing most of these palms anyhow; I'll ask Mike about it at our next meeting. I'm surprised how little information (on the web) there is on the C. hiorami.

Tom - many Cocothrinax get confused. I've had people invite me to their gardens asking me if I could identify their Coccothrinax palms. Of course there are some that are easy but most are not until they are mature. Usually all you can tell them nice Coccothrinax, you should not have lost the tag. Now you gotta wait ... :mrlooney:

That being said, I know the C. hiorami I mentioned growing in St. Pete and Tampa are the real deal. The St. Pete one came from Mike Harris for sure. Ray (Ray in Tampa) I believe got his from Mike Harris at the Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society Sale the same time I did.

Best regards,

Ron :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Moose,

Thanks, I will add it to my list and evaluate the area for spacing of 7 trees instead of 6. I may end up putting the Coccothrinax crinita in an area of my yard where I currently have a hedge. Mike at Caribbean Palms is where I'm sourcing most of these palms anyhow; I'll ask Mike about it at our next meeting. I'm surprised how little information (on the web) there is on the C. hiorami.

Tom - many Cocothrinax get confused. I've had people invite me to their gardens asking me if I could identify their Coccothrinax palms. Of course there are some that are easy but most are not until they are mature. Usually all you can tell them nice Coccothrinax, you should not have lost the tag. Now you gotta wait ... :mrlooney:

That being said, I know the C. hiorami I mentioned growing in St. Pete and Tampa are the real deal. The St. Pete one came from Mike Harris for sure. Ray (Ray in Tampa) I believe got his from Mike Harris at the Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society Sale the same time I did.

Best regards,

OK Ron,

You can stop by & help ID my Cocothrinax anytime. :lol: (fortunately my C hiorami still has the original tag)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish