• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Seed identification

Dundo

Can you help me with this one (sorry for poor quality photos)? I was told that this is a palm seed, as you can see the seed is quite large.. Coin in the photo is same size as a $0.50 coin, and slightly bigger (1mm) than 1 euro coin.

fotografija0262.jpg

fotografija0264.jpg

Edited by Dundo

alien egg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I have no idea how large/small your money is? Is it flat on one side like a Caryota seed?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I have no idea how large/small your money is? Is it flat on one side like a Caryota seed?

Matty

the size of a 1 Euro coin is 23.25 mm Almost an inch

Not Caryota for me,

May be Phytelephas macrocarpa (Tagua)

post-1464-052913600 1330546710_thumb.jpg

best

Edited by pindo

Visit my site

www.palmasenresistencia.blogspot.com

And comment me

Matty description of the coin size is in the firs post, i'll repost it: "Coin in the photo is same size as a $0.50 coin, and slightly bigger (1mm) than 1 euro coin."

Thnx Pindo i think you could be right! My seeds really resemble ones in ur photo :)

Here is few more photos, can we confirm that this is Phytelephas macrocarpa seed?

fotografija0278z.jpg

fotografija0279.jpg

fotografija0282m.jpg

fotografija0285e.jpg

I've never seen any seed like that. It's huge!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Hello Dundo

Where you take / buy that seed ?

Search pictures of Phytelephas sp. seeds in internet, also search for "Tagua"

Regards

Visit my site

www.palmasenresistencia.blogspot.com

And comment me

Whoa!

Maybe one of the neighbors lost one of his, er, cojones . . . :lol:

On a serious note, where did the seed come from? Did someone bring it back from a trip somewhere? If so, where? Any possible desription, however general, of the plant it came from, if anyone knows?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hello Dundo

Where you take / buy that seed ?

Search pictures of Phytelephas sp. seeds in internet, also search for "Tagua"

Regards

That looks like it!

437px-Lombards_Museum_1000.jpg

Here's a link . . . CLICK HERE FOR WIKIPEDIA LINK

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

My best friends father gave it to me as a gift cuz he knows i collect palms, he obtained it from a man who said that seeds come from Southern america. He didn't know which species it belongs and only clue was that palm is of tropical origin. I think that Pindo is right and that this seed belongs to Phytelephas genus. I did some research on internet and it really looks like seed from some of Phytelephas species. I am not sure which one but again i think Pindo got it right in first post and that this is Phytelephas macrocarpa after all. (i have fairly large hands so seed may look a little bit smaller than in reality)

If we are right this could be really rare find!

Anyone? :blink:

Phytelephas macrocarpa are very hard seed and difficult to germinate from what I understand: :bummed:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Socratea and Iriartea are possibilities and are more commonly available. Socratea is oblong, while Iriartea is rounder.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Thnaks everyone! I think its Phytelephas sp. after all, seed is almost indentical to online photos of Phytelephas seed.