• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia X Parajubaea sunkha

freakypalmguy

Finally getting some germination from crossing my Butia with pollen from Gary's P. sunkha. 10 have popped so far and 3 are pushing their first strap leaves. I'm excited about this one.

post-1261-002463300 1331300005_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Wow.... I am insanely jealous of you making that cross !!!

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Nice work Freak! This one sounds like a knockout hybrid! :)

• Like 1

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Keep us apprized as the babies grow . . .

and grow

and grow, etc.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Finally getting some germination from crossing my Butia with pollen from Gary's P. sunkha. 10 have popped so far and 3 are pushing their first strap leaves. I'm excited about this one.

Congrats. How long have you had them germinating?

I'm presuming an 'adoption' list has already been started.... :mrlooney: Should the list exist, please do put my name on it as an interested party! Thanks in advance and a big congrats on your success here! JV

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

I can predict the future. You will soon have a massive amount of PMs. "Can I have one". "Save me one". :mrlooney:

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

CONGRATULATIONS !

Last I posted a pic of the first spathe growing on my P.sunkha. Last week i saw there are two more little spathes emerging between the fibers of the trunk. In a few months I´m hoping to cross my butia eriospathas with P. sunkha also!

• Like 2

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Great stuff.

The Butia x p cocoides is a great palm. An interesting note is that p Sunkha is a silver leaf palm as is Butia, so this should make an interesting silver hybrid whereas the cocoides hybrid is a shiny green. I'm excited about planting one of those.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Holy mackeral Batman!!!Oops, i meant SpideyMatt!! You did it!! Congratulations is in order. You have done well and i am jealous as heck!

Cheers to the proud papa!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Congratulations Matt! This should be a terrific hybrid. I have Butia x P. cocoides from Patricks 1st cross. It is fast, grows even in winter, recovers from heavy cold damage very well, and is beautiful. I have tried Parajubaea tor tor, P. cocoides, and P. sunka here in the southeast U.S.. P. sunka does well, here in coastal N.C. and as far south as northern Florida. The others wilt and eventually die, in summer heat. Butia takes anything you throw at it and then says "is that all you have"? In other words your hybrid should be the best of the best for most of the palm growing areas of the U.S. and beyond. I WANT ONE! Did I say one? I'm sorry my tongue is awash in drool right now.

• Like 1

We are in Europe we can only dream about, since there in europe not there are large parajubaea That produces pollen :(

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

Thanks everyone, I'll update as they grow.

Eric, they took about 3 months from falling off my Butia, to first germination using supplemental heat.

Gary, it will be really interesting to see if this palm comes out blue, as I'm sure you remember the mother tree is a very blue Butia.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Here's a picture of mama at the end of last summer with the Butia X P. sunkha seeds maturing in the mesh bag.

post-1261-018870700 1331686835_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Matt in Temecula, CA

Here's a picture of mama at the end of last summer with the Butia X P. sunkha seeds maturing in the mesh bag.

post-1261-018870700 1331686835_thumb.jpg

Man Matt, that is one of the prettiest Butia capitata I have ever seen.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

That's one great looking mama!!! Should produce gorgeous babies!!! It would be cool if you had a picture of the daddy too.... that way you could see what traits the hybrids have from each!

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

That's one great looking mama!!! Should produce gorgeous babies!!! It would be cool if you had a picture of the daddy too.... that way you could see what traits the hybrids have from each!

There are plenty of pictures of my Sunkha on this site to see the beautiful daddy. Going to be some great babies coming.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Thanks Gary for confessing to your parental responsibility here.... :lol: With your Sunkha being the daddy, then indeed these should be gorgeous babies!!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Here's a link to the original thread that got this started. It's dated May 2010, almost two years from first sign of flowering to first seedling germination. I didn't realize it had been that long ago, but highlights how long this process can take sometimes.

Grary's Parajubaea sunkha

Matt in Temecula, CA

Matt, I am sure happy to see photos of your success. Those are going to be some nice hybrids. Congratulations. Tim

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

• 11 months later...

Very strangely I´m not having succes crossing my B.eriospatha with P. sunkha.

This week I tried again. Lets hope some seeds will form!

I´m also tryimg P.sunkha pollen on my BxP

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 3 weeks later...

eager to hear some news on these babies.... maybe even see some photos???? :)

• 3 months later...

Bump......

since Tom Hopper has his mix also available for sale....

Any updated pics on this 1?

Cheers.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Yes...updates?

Not to butt in on the thread ...... but here is my new P. sunkha from Patric.....it was busting out of its tall pot so it was upsized to a taller pot. Should this be put into the ground? Its the hottest part of summer. In a couple of months it should be prime Fall weather for it (cooler nights) ... right now nights are in the 75-80 degree range .....?

I'm going to plant it in partial sun and add some clay and organics to the hydroponic sand we call soil here.post-97-0-20733700-1435064857_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-98337300-1435064905_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 7 months later...
On 9/3/2012, 14:34:22, freakypalmguy said:

surely they is only butia  odorata.......

GIUSEPPE

1 hour ago, gyuseppe said:

surely they is only butia  odorata.......

Why?  I have Butia x Parajubaea sunkha.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Ben I do not see any updates

you have Butia x Parajubaea sunkha, but you bought by Patric

someone in Europe after buying  of butia x parajubaea,He said it is not a hybrid but only butia,I'm not sure, and I  not have seen with my own eyes,I repeat,  not  bad publicity,

GIUSEPPE

1 hour ago, gyuseppe said:

someone in Europe after buying  of butia x parajubaea,He said it is not a hybrid but only butia,I'm not sure, and I  not have seen with my own eyes,I repeat,  not  bad publicity,

That's correct - Patric has been doing B x P. sunkha for a little while now, he says.  He has a flowering sunkha in his own yard, which is the pollen donor.  

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

3 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

That's correct - Patric has been doing B x P. sunkha for a little while now, he says.  He has a flowering sunkha in his own yard, which is the pollen donor.  

Ben, would you happen to know of any cold hardiness difference between the B x PJC and the B x P. sunkha? At the time I bought my B x PJC I don't think he had the P. sunkha hybrid on the list. Makes me wonder what would have fared better in my climate? So far, for whatever it's worth, my B x PJC is the most impressive and healthy looking out of the 4 hybrids that I have.

10 hours ago, gyuseppe said:

I don't know why PT is forcing me to quote this again.

I'd think the PJS hybrid would be more cold hardy - but I think it is too early for much of a definitive nature.

Ben Rogers

14 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I don't know why PT is forcing me to quote this again.

I'd think the PJS hybrid would be more cold hardy - but I think it is too early for much of a definitive nature.

That's interesting... Thanks, Ben. I may have another palm order in the works... Lol

I can't wait for the day till I put all of my hybrids in ground to see the extent of their hardiness. It's still a few years out till I feel comfortable doing that; this of course doesn't include my butia and jubaea hybrids which would probably be solid around here.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...