• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The power of poop

redant

I have had these lobster claw heliconia in the ground for several years and have never had any blooms. I loaded the area with horse poop/ stall litter over the winter and now bam, blooms all over the place! :rolleyes:

post-202-083723500 1337782631_thumb.jpg

post-202-078328400 1337782640_thumb.jpg

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Horse poop is a wonderful thing! I have a large supply since I have 2 horses. I have a guy who comes and gets it every 2 weeks. More than enough for both of us!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Hey Kitty, do you deliver?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Also adds fuel to my argument for fertilising Heliconias and Gingers (with slow acting organics) during the winter months. Some people say don't do it but like you have I get wonderful results from year round fertilising.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Jerry,

No deliveries! But if you want a few bags of buckets, let me know and you can come and get some. My manure pile is very convenient - you can back your truck right up to it. And all it has is manure and shavings.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

If you are really looking for some I can give you the name of a guy that delivers. Its great stuff for your plants, but the down side is that you have to smell it for a few weeks. Not sure you want that in a public garden.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

And flies, that for me is the worst part. The smell is just a couple of days.

Jupiter FL

If you spread it thinly, flies aren't a problem. I use fly predators that seem to work pretty well.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

If you spread it thinly, flies aren't a problem. I use fly predators that seem to work pretty well.

I read about them and was wondering if they are effective. You get monthy shipments of new ones?

Jupiter FL

I read about them and was wondering if they are effective. You get monthy shipments of new ones?

I get them every 3 weeks during the shot months and basically get them yearround. I also get a booster shipment every couple of months. Mine come from Arbico Organics. They have several other products you can use that are also safe around people and domesticated animals. Great company for all you organic growers. I buy several things from them as I won't use chemicals on my garden or in my house - at least not the manufactured kind.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

• 2 weeks later...

My lobsters are blooming like crazy this year too. I thought it was just because we had the first mild winter in 3 years. Heliconias generally need a couple years in the ground without a freeze to flower. I do use the poo too! Most of my tropicals, especially the bamboos, just love it.

Aloha, JungleGina

Zone 9b, Sunny Sarasota, Florida

Gina,

The local bamboo nursery uses it by the truck load. And Wellington has tons of it every day! Bananas love it. Gingers, heliconias, and roses love it.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL