• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal flower show

aztropic

Tree is only 12 years old from seed and has always put on a spectacular flower show for the last 5 years or so.Whole yard smells like honey.M'mm

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-035288200 1337901142_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

good looking sabal,there. they do have a nice fragrance,i look forward to the one in my front yard blooming every year.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Nice, I see a lot of cool stuff in the back ground there as well! My sabal is about 2 feet tall. Yours is impressive.

Nice, I see a lot of cool stuff in the back ground there

Lots of caribbean palms will thrive under the conditions we have in Phoenix such as extreme heat and alkaline soil!Coccothrinax,Gaussia,Roystonea,and Pseudophoenix species have done exceptionally well for me.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Nice, I see a lot of cool stuff in the back ground there as well! My sabal is about 2 feet tall. Yours is impressive.

I got to see Scott's garden about a month ago and he does have alot of cool stuff!!!! He is very friendly, easy to talk too and knows alot about palms and what will grow in Arizona... :) He has palms in his garden that I been trying to grow for years and have not had any SUCCESS with growing them.... :mrlooney:

He really likes Pseudophoenix species and I would go as far to say, he most likely has the largest Pseudophoenix vinifera on the west coast USA !!!! California included :rolleyes:

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

Massive, full flowering. Which species is this?

Sabal bermudana

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Very nice bermudana. Looks sturdy and stocky. Almost guessed 'Riverside'. Do you have uresana or any other sabals? If future falling seed becomes a nuisance I'd love to trade or buy a thousand or so from ya. :)

12 years from seed? Good growth man, any special tips? Beautifull plant.

:greenthumb:

Extreme heat makes these grow like rockets.It's been a fast and trouble free grower for me.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Very nice bermudana. Looks sturdy and stocky. Almost guessed 'Riverside'. Do you have uresana or any other sabals? If future falling seed becomes a nuisance I'd love to trade or buy a thousand or so from ya. :)

Will 1400 do?

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-076533600 1338220794_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Come on Scott, that looks like a box of old marbles you had when you were a little kid. :D

Seriously, the Sabal looks great. And 12 years sounds almost unbelievable too.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hi Scott

This is my largest sabal palm... I don't know which one.... I got it years ago as a 15 gal... it like yours and grows fast and produce alot of seeds. Its getting ready to flower but is not as far along as yours but that could be because of all the shade mine gets.... do you think we got the same kind of sabal??

post-111-088884300 1338228932_thumb.jpg

Edited by chris78

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Parks.gif

The sabal and this bizzie were both bought as 1 gallon plants in Florida and put in the ground,same time,in 2002.I agree,it is amazing growth out of both of them.They are the 2 fattest trees in my yard.Bismark hasn't flowered yet but it's getting close. :D

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-009067500 1338230649_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Hi Scott

This is my largest sabal palm... I don't know which one.... I got it years ago as a 15 gal... it like yours and grows fast and produce alot of seeds. Its getting ready to flower but is not as far along as yours but that could be because of all the shade mine gets.... do you think we got the same kind of sabal??

Hard to tell from a picture if they're the same species.Also,the shade can make 2 identical species look completely different.I'll have to get out there someday and see it in person. :) Looks like you have a great canopy to try out alot of the more tender palms...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

chris-how bout some more pix?

• Upvote 1

"I'm not crazy. It's not knowing what I don't know that drives me insane"

Patrick

pfancy01@gmail.com

Hard to tell from a picture if they're the same species.Also,the shade can make 2 identical species look completely different.I'll have to get out there someday and see it in person. :) Looks like you have a great canopy to try out alot of the more tender palms...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Parks.gif

chris-how bout some more pix?

I will ad more pictures in another post... I don't want to hijack aztropic post....

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Parks.gif