• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Acrocomia totai- dwarf form ???

Eric in Orlando

Here is a local Acrocomia totai, Grugru Palm. These seem to have 2 forms. One grows very fast from seed until it gets to about 15-20ft tall then slows down. The other stays small for many years before it grows and develops a trunk.

The one in the photo is around 15 years old. There used to be an old, 25 ft specimen where it is growing and it doed from Ganoderma. This is a seedling that sprouted and has remained around 6ft. tall.

img_0999.jpg

img_1000.jpg

img_1001.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric, I have NEVER seen a slow-growing Acrocomia. I'm wondering if this volunteer might be expending a lot of energy "battling" the Ganoderma fungus?

Jody

Does ganoderma infect juvenile palms? It always seems like palms killed by it are mature with trunks.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Ganoderma zombatum only affects mature palms, and the palm would usually die in 6-12 months. New leaves would show nutrient deficiency.

Edited by blake_tx

Blake

We have a similar one at Leu Gardens. It was dug out of a local collectors yard around 10 years ago. It was about 5ft tall. Today it is around 7ft tall. It has a full crown of leaves and has shed leaf bases to reveal some trunk. It just doesn't grow vertically.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

There was one at UCF but it is now gone. I had seen it in the old abouretum but they unfortunatly destroyed it i guess.

I have one at my home that is slow growing as well. It is about the same size as the one pictured.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

I wonder if these are the hardier strain of A. totai? Like those found in the Dade City area.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

It looks to be a healthy specimen.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Is this a gru gru palm?

I used to live over by there. It's pretty young though, he planted it there from a small plant when his coconuts died in the two bad winters there so it's only 2 or so years old (and probably around 4 or 5 years old from seed)

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

• 7 months later...

We need more information about these cold hardy Acrocomia. Has anybody figured out if A. hasslerii is legitimate? Seed source?

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Isn't totai the cool growing form (now a species again) from South America? I don't think it grows naturally in Florida but could be wrong. I'm having mixed results but only have one plant.

No species of Acrocomia is native to Florida. A. totai is native from Bolivia to southern Brazil and northern Argentina. There are some naturalized populations of A. totai in Florida.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

It seems a shame that the hardy form isn't very available.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Why you think it's Acrocomia totai?
I think in Acrocomia aculeata

Visit my site

www.palmasenresistencia.blogspot.com

And comment me

Why you think it's Acrocomia totai?

I think in Acrocomia aculeata

Hola Pindo, how do you tell apart an aculeata from a totai?

Had one that grew very well in a pot despite a lot of neglect. finally planted it and it grew fine for 6 months or so, then died.. never was sure what killed it off. :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 2 years later...
On 7/2/2012, 3:30:38, Eric in Orlando said:

Here is a local Acrocomia totai, Grugru Palm. These seem to have 2 forms. One grows very fast from seed until it gets to about 15-20ft tall then slows down. The other stays small for many years before it grows and develops a trunk.

The one in the photo is around 15 years old. There used to be an old, 25 ft specimen where it is growing and it doed from Ganoderma. This is a seedling that sprouted and has remained around 6ft. tall.

img_0999.jpg

img_1000.jpg

img_1001.jpg

This palm was moved to Leu Gardens last week. It still hasn't grown very tall, it is about 7-8ft tall.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

very interesting indeed. Not much growth since the last pic's were posted.

Why did the palm get relocated?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

It is growing in a public park but near a road. I think the road is being rerouted and the Parks Dept. asked if we wanted it it. I said YESSSS and they dug it and transported it to us.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

There was a guy in Orlando that had Totai plants and seeds for sale but will never return calls or emails. I drove all around dade county looking for seeds last year but came up empty. Anyone know where can I get seed or plants? 

I'd like to know where these Dade county Acrocomia Totai's are as well. I even contacted Phil Bergman to see if he had any for sale. He doesn't sell any A. Totai's but he confirmed there are some in Dade County, but never gave specific directions. Anyone in Florida know exactly where?

TexasColdHardyPalms- Here's one website I found- Although, it specifies that it's the Aculeata AND Totai. No telling what exactly this guy sells, as I can't tell the two apart.

https://mygardenofdelights.com/acrocomia-aculeata-gru-gru-grugru-palm.html

Those hardy Acrocomia totai are in Dade CITY, (SW of Orlando and NE of Tampa). I've never been over there yet so don't know where they are growing.

Dade COUNTY is way down in SE FL, it is the county where Miami is located.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Ah yes, duly noted. And yeah, what would have been so cold hardy about A. Totai's in Miami, Florida? Lol :lol:

I'm still looking for some seeds to try.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

29 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Not A. totai:

56845d75b1b85_AcrocomiaRPS.thumb.jpg.a56

Thanks Pal Meir. If rarepalmseeds.com doesn't have them, then they're extremely rare!