• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal question

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

I used to not be interested in fan palms, I think the reason is that washingtonias and trachycarpus growing in Northern California just look like crap. They usually look ratty and there is nothing tropical looking about them. I love the look of washingtonias grown in Riverside or Palm Springs, and t. fortunei look nice in the Pacific Northwest But here, they all look like crap.

Now I know I've neglected fan palms in favor of pinnate palms, and I am trying to change this.

For some odd reason, sabals have really caught my attention. Can someone point to a sabal that has very large leaves and can provide overhead protection for more tender palms like rhopalostylis and prichardia. The faster the better!

Thanks.

Sabal bermudana, S. domingensis

agreed! mines been fast growing too.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Sabal Domingensis is my fastest sabal, its not even that close. they get huge leaves, went from a strap leaf seedling to 6' overall in 20 months. I think you may have an issue that sabals like heat, and lots of it, to grow fast... My second fastest is uresana, at about 20% slower.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Here's 18 months growth.

96FCD646-7892-44A1-AD14-67BBD9B0315F-696

6A80AF6E-6A99-41FF-A808-2F14D1424616-696

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

My sabal domingensis is in posts 3,4 18 months apart

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/35095-fast-growing-sabals/

It was grown till post 3 in a 10 gallon pail, then put in the ground. I think this year it is ready to turn on the speed as the underground structure required for sabals to speed up a bit is more developed, we shall see. I have had bermudana, causiarum, maritiformis, and uresana. this one was easily fastest from a seedling to juvenile...

Tom Blank

Wow, impressive. Hey, how old is your son? makes the palm look so much bigger!

There are healthy Sabals in Seattle that grow well in their much cooler climate, so I am not too concerned about any lack of heat.

hes 18 months. i planted the sabal for him when he was born. the palm is well over 8 feet tall now

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

How cool!!! What a great idea to plant a palm for your son. My son is 13 months old. He is the heir of my entire palm and rare fruit "empire". He will inherit over 50 species of palms and over 1000 varieties of fruits. It makes it so much more fun to garden when you do it for your son.

How cool!!! What a great idea to plant a palm for your son. My son is 13 months old. He is the heir of my entire palm and rare fruit "empire". He will inherit over 50 species of palms and over 1000 varieties of fruits. It makes it so much more fun to garden when you do it for your son.

plus when they get old we can say " you need to weed YOUR garden"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Worldsight-out of curiosity, why do Trachy's look so ratty where you are? That surprises me.... Sabals are good choices.

No idea, they often look yellow, and they do this all over the milder parts of California. My theory is that this palm actually prefers growing in places where they experience more serious cold in the Winter.

I have great luck with t. martiani and t. latisectus, those look fabulous. My neighbor has a t. fortunei, and it has the yellowing as well.

huh. I see yellowing on the oldest leaves, but not the middle to newer leaves. Maybe they do need colder weather, but then to some degree, if that's true, I would think it would apply to all Trachys.

Anyway-what about the Livistonas? There are some really cool ones (no pun intended...) If I can grow L. chinensis, then you should be able to grow quite a few of them, and their leaves have quite a different look than the Sabals.

Worldsight-out of curiosity, why do Trachy's look so ratty where you are? That surprises me.... Sabals are good choices.

No idea, they often look yellow, and they do this all over the milder parts of California. My theory is that this palm actually prefers growing in places where they experience more serious cold in the Winter.

I have great luck with t. martiani and t. latisectus, those look fabulous. My neighbor has a t. fortunei, and it has the yellowing as well.

I dont think trachys need cold to look good, I had a very green one in arizona in deep shade, saw very little cold. It looked great, deepest green of my palms there.

Tom Blank

Magnesium deficiency is common in Trachycarpus in coastal California, as much or more so than potasium.

San Francisco, California

So a couple of handfuls of Epsom salts a few times a year topdressed around the palm would help? I may try it here as well. We suffer from mag def. here in the water.

Great! Thanks for the info! I have another thought-I just looked at all of my Trachys and there is really only one that shows yellowish older leaves. Its my oldest one (abt 23 yrs old) and its in the shade most of the day and I am wondering if it isn't a reaction to the cold of our winter-i.e. because its in the shade so long in the day, it never warms up as much as the others that are not yellow.

Still going to apply the mag

Here's 18 months growth.

Steve - Sabal domingensis develops a fairly robust base, it will eventually push your wall over. Mine is nearly 4 ft in diameter at 15 years of age. Yours is working on developing its subterranean trunk right now.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Here's 18 months growth.

Steve - Sabal domingensis develops a fairly robust base, it will eventually push your wall over. Mine is nearly 4 ft in diameter at 15 years of age. Yours is working on developing its subterranean trunk right now.

LOL! I remember that scene in JAWS when Roy Scheider says "were gonna need a bigger boat". Steve, your going to need a bigger yard...

Tom Blank

I'm figuring I'm going to bump the wall out. It's drystack block and is easy to take down. It has moved 18 inches from where I planted it now and still has a lean that says "Ill move where I want". I won't plant anything that can be moved easily in front of that part of the wall for that reason alone.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean