• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dave's JuNgLE oF DooM !

Tassie_Troy1971

I spent a few days hanging out during some intensive palm tours with Dooms Dave in la habra !

Dave has experienced some killer Growth (not Dave his palms ) since my last visit in 2010 !

Huge Rhopalostylis of Doom

IMG_3888.jpg

Doomy Ravena rivularis

IMG_3882.jpg

IMG_3880.jpg

Daves Archontophoenix tuckeri are huge ! and were a blade of grass 5 years ago :greenthumb:

IMG_3877.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Roystonea regia so fat that my foot was doomed to look smaller than last time !

IMG_3875.jpg

The impenetrable container ranch of Doom :o speads out so far it has 4 different microclimates !

IMG_3874.jpg

I almost tripped over the 30 spare Chambeyronia houailou that Dave had forgotten about over the back !

Beccariophoenix alfredii doomed to be a giant palm :bemused:

IMG_3871.jpg

IMG_3873.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

spiny palm of Doom !

IMG_3870.jpg

JUbaea chilensis

IMG_3868.jpg

This Chamearops is so doomed it has the blues ! :bemused:

IMG_3867.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Dypsis decipiens :yay: ohh the doom and horror of it all !!!!!!

IMG_3864.jpg

Mule palm doomed to become a big shadow maker of you guessed it DOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_3863.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Gasp, scream, yell, cuss!

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Last but not least on HD video ( click to watch folks ! ) the Giant Parajubaea torallyii of DooM ! Wider than a parked bicycle .

th_MVI_3862.jpg

If you are feeling doomed one day and want to see a great garden Dave has it all !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Great Growing Dave, Love the Decipiens and all Palms shown btw whats the Big Spiny? Keep haven fun in the good old U S of A Troy :) Pete

I need another tor tor

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

We are doomed up North, no way we can impress Troy after getting doomed at Dave's place. What a magnificent jungle!

Looks awesome! I will have to take up close pics of my palms like you did. That Rhopalostylis looks wicked awesome!

Looks awesome! I will have to take up close pics of my palms like you did. That Rhopalostylis looks wicked awesome!

WHOA! From you, mate, that's an accolade!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Awesome garden Dave!!! :drool: I am always amazed by the diversity you have there!

Thanks a lot Troy for the pictures and video once again! :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Nice work Dave,truly impressive with great examples of a broad range of species.Keep up the good work :greenthumb: ....Cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

Whooo! Looks good. Lets see some more!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Hi Troy and Dave!

What's the id on the Spiny Palm of DOOM?

Love the Roystonea! Need to see the rest of it!

Thanks

Peter

What's the palm in pic#3? The one with the waxy, green trunk. Sweet...

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Great palm viewing pleasure as always. The tor tor and royal rock!

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

"Four different microclimates". And probably different terrains, vary degrees of altitudes, a small creek of running water, rare and endemic species of native weeds, wildlife, a homeless person that's lost and can't find his way out and JUST MAYBE a gopher!!!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

That is my Witchcraft Dictyosperma album rubrum. I love it too! It's about 11 feet to the end of the spear, and has been in the ground since right before the freeze of 2007.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Great Growing Dave, Love the Decipiens and all Palms shown btw whats the Big Spiny? Keep haven fun in the good old U S of A Troy :) Pete

Big Spiny has many other names, including: Nudist Colony Palm, Skydiver's Palm, and, botanically, Acrocomia.

They're a bit tough to get and grow because the seeds take up to 5 years to sprout and they want a lot of water, much more than a queen palm.

But, when they grow, it's like Cape Canaveral . . .

Alas, seeing the D.decepiens made me realize I am Nachocarl, Killer of Dypsis....of doom! Wonderful garden...I wish I could stumble across 30 C. houailou somewhere lost in the yard. :mrlooney:

Carl

Vista, CA

That is my Witchcraft Dictyosperma album rubrum. I love it too! It's about 11 feet to the end of the spear, and has been in the ground since right before the freeze of 2007.

From a 5 gallon? how cold did it see?

Wow great garden, nice variety! Makes me want a bigger lot...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Wow! That DOOM Parajubaea tortor grew in 6 years from a 1 gallon plant!? Amazing!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I didn't even recognize it, since it was so big. But I've had one in ground for about 4 years, & they are without a doubt 2-3 degrees more cold hardy than the other forms. Several folks are growing them around SoCal. Mine sees near freezing almost every year (31f this year). It's the long cool season (for me) that wipes out certain species, but this one seems okay, surpisingly...

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Alas, seeing the D.decepiens made me realize I am Nachocarl, Killer of Dypsis....of doom! Wonderful garden...I wish I could stumble across 30 C. houailou somewhere lost in the yard. :mrlooney:

I've killed about 10 out of 12 D. decipiens and 12 out of 12 D. decaryi I've planted. BUT, other Dypsis rock like Cleveland. Baronii, Leptocheilos!!! and others. Scream. At the cops . . . at the robbers.

Wow! That DOOM Parajubaea tortor grew in 6 years from a 1 gallon plant!? Amazing!

Well, more like 7 years from a 5-gallon plant, but, still amazing.

Wait till it starts to trunk!

Crashed the swooning sofa

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Q: Did Doomsayer Dave remember to empty the Kitty-Litterbox of Death???

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Kept hearing Jethro Tull - "Bungle in the Jungle" in my head while viewing this thread :wub:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Candy treats

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Q: Did Doomsayer Dave remember to empty the Kitty-Litterbox of Death???

Yep, and save the Tootsie Rolls for you . . . .