• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Repotting germinated Tahina seed

Peter Pacific

Hi everybody,

I have just had amazing germination results with the latest seeds I got from rps. These Tahina seeds have been in dirt only one month and I already have two with two inch strap leaves. (The Carpoxylon macrospermum seeds have been in germination only one week, literally, and two have germinated! Thank you rps for very fresh seeds!)

I know that the Tahinas don't like their roots disturbed so I planted them in large pots so I don't have to touch them for a couple of years.

post-2997-0-63722100-1369157865_thumb.jp

First sighting

post-2997-0-16939300-1369158146_thumb.jp

Digging it out of the community pot

post-2997-0-52293000-1369158182_thumb.jp

pulling it out, suave...

post-2997-0-89095300-1369158220_thumb.jp

ten inch tap root, after only one month

post-2997-0-52624200-1369158255_thumb.jp

post-2997-0-73315300-1369158294_thumb.jp

post-2997-0-65727800-1369158330_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

The new pot was prepared with a very loose mix of dirt, mulch, sand and a seed starter. We covered the new pot with mulch and dated it.

I'm psyched!

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Nice job, Peter. I lost my only Tahina whilst re-potting it as a 2-leaf seedling, so I can attest to their root sensitivity.

Peter,

That's great news, and I'm sure it'll be a very robust grower for you. :) Interestingly, though, I did not have the experience that Tahina has sensitive roots. I received 100 seeds from RPS in early 2008 and 86 of them germinated quickly. I potted all of them straight up into deep 5G pots about two months later. Primarily because I knew that they have deep roots. I did not lose a single one when I moved them up into the larger pots, and my experience is that they can take quite a bit of (root) abuse without any problems. This is a tough palm!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo, did you break any roots off? The definition of "palm abuse" does vary. :lol:

Right, and maybe "root abuse" was a bit of an exaggeration on my part. I obviously tried to be as careful as possible for the simple reason that I had no idea exactly how sensitive the roots might be. Or not sensitive. With 86 plants being potted up, there's inevitably a few minor "mishaps" along the way. I don't believe I actually broke off any roots in the process, but there were certainly times when the roots inadvertently got "manhandled" a bit more than I had intended. I also moved a number of the Tahinas from 5G up into 10G pots, again without any problems, and I also never had any problems planting them. (I have planted a total of nine - two in my old garden, and seven in my new, current, garden). Most of the others were sold to palm enthusiasts here on the Big Island and I have yet to talk with someone who felt that they had difficulties due to sensitive roots. In other words, I believe all the ones that I sold are still living and thriving (and I have seen some of them recently).

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I was just unfortunate. The seedling I was given was in a deep pot and the soil was compacted at the bottom. In moving this last clump of earth, it suddenly shot out of the pot like a wrecking ball on the end of a long, thin sinker root. The clump divided, and took about a third of the feeder roots with it. Hence, "sensitive". :mrlooney:

It continued growing for several weeks, pushing a new leaf, but slowly ground to a halt after about 6 weeks and began to lose colour. It was a long, slow demise. Always sad to watch.

• Upvote 1

Here are a couple of my germinated tahinas. I got them from the latest RPS batch also. And had great advice from Bo.

Still waiting on the rest to germinate, hope they will Had 3 out of 12 make it, so far

Thank You. aloha Colin

post-4990-0-74340300-1369163675_thumb.jp

another shot. Peter hope all ours make it, from the location which these

are from, they should be pretty hardy.

aloha and good luck

post-4990-0-99229200-1369163976_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

I havn't had much luck with mine so far? I have germinated many many different species with good results but so far nothing on the Tahina. Most I apply heat too but the large containers I had these in were to big for my incubator, it has been cool here recently so is that my problem?? They will be put into a friends hothouse tomorrow for another chance, hopefully this will kick them along a bit?

I have had them for nearly 2 months now, am I still a chance and has my temps been my problem??

Thank you Bo Goran, maybe I don't have to be over protective!

Kenny, the average temps lately have been in the mid nineties, 35-36* C., here in Guatemala.

Good Luck,

Peter

Peter

Colin, great to see that you're getting results! :)

And Peter, I think it's been fairly well established with the 2008 Tahinas that they really like heat. The more heat, the faster they will grow. You may recall a very nice sized Tahina at Nong Nooch for instance. I'm sure yours will do really well! :)

Bo-Göran

Dear Peter,

Great to see your post and the visuals of the "blessed palm".I have no doubt that this palm will eventually grow up to give seeds to the next generation of palmtalk members.But be careful from rats and squirrel attacks.These creatures do try to destroy anything rare & valuable when its concerned with

plants.

Wish you all the best and keep us all updated.

Love,

kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Peter, as Bo said, this palm should do well for you. Same for you too Colin.

I love that first little leaf, looks like a little waving hand.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

As to sensitivity, this palm survived lots unintentional abuse and is still doing fine for me.

First, I received a tiny seedling shipped in the cold of December from Florida to Virginia. I knew nothing at all about palms, but read that it was special and thus gave it and a few other spp. to my husband as a Christmas present. Amazingly I we kept it alive and soon took it to our newly purchased farm in Puerto Rico. I planted it in the dry season so picked a relatively wet sheltered area which happened to be in full shade.

Months later after I realized the palm needed sun, I dug it up from the ground and moved it. By our next visit it was completely covered by grasses and vines. This was before I began putting PVC pipes and orange flagging tape to mark every plant. Anyway several more visits later, we rediscovered it and removed the vines. Later the old leaves show signs of sun damage from the sudden transition, but the new leaves are fine.

So I can attest that this is a tough little palm that deserves a place everywhere there's a reasonable climate. Now I just need several more....

Cindy Adair

The difference with the folks in the tropics is that you have that many more species which are so much more sensitive, and that would die elsewhere if you looked at them and went "boo", that it all becomes a bit academic. As far as I'm concerned, a Washingtonia is a "tough little palm".

I got a batch of seeds and so far not one has germinated. Looks like my house isn't warm enough to germinate these.

Cindy, your finca en Puerto Rico sounds more enticing with each post I read from you. Buying a farm from a collector and making discoveries as you go must be an awesome experience. That coupled with the incredible palms you buy and plant only make each visit that much more special. One day you will live there permanently and love it.

John, you are absolutely right about sensitive species in and out of the tropics. I have a few Washingtonias, they're tough no matter where you are!

Axel, Santa Cruz may be a little cool for the Tahinas...maybe you can buy a space heater...it all depends on your level of obsession! Good Luck.

Kris, it's always nice to hear from you, I will watch the animals in the garden. We don't have many squirrels but a mouse or two is common, rabbits, opossum, iguanas. I will keep you updated.

Peter

Peter

Cindy, your finca en Puerto Rico sounds more enticing with each post I read from you. Buying a farm from a collector and making discoveries as you go must be an awesome experience. That coupled with the incredible palms you buy and plant only make each visit that much more special. One day you will live there permanently and love it.

John, you are absolutely right about sensitive species in and out of the tropics. I have a few Washingtonias, they're tough no matter where you are!

Axel, Santa Cruz may be a little cool for the Tahinas...maybe you can buy a space heater...it all depends on your level of obsession! Good Luck.

Kris, it's always nice to hear from you, I will watch the animals in the garden. We don't have many squirrels but a mouse or two is common, rabbits, opossum, iguanas. I will keep you updated.

Peter

It's not for outside, I am trying to germinate them inside but it's too cold even inside.