• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Your 5 rarest, or "coolest" fruit trees?

rprimbs

I'm stealing the idea from Axel's forum. What are your 5 rarest, or "coolest", fruit trees?

My rarest (For California): Both grown without protection.

Rollinia deliciosa

achachairu

Not so rare -- but still less common:

Manilkara zapota (Sapadilla, xa po che, chico sapote) "Alano"

A little rare -- but pretty cool:

Artocarpus heterophyllus (jackfruit, mit)

Myrciaria cauliflora (Jaboticaba)

Pitaya, and Pitahaya (Dragon fruit, hao long guo, thanh long)

PS The dragon fruit isn't really a fruit tree. But it can be trellised and grown almost like a fruit tree.

Edited by rprimbs
  • Like 1

I'm stealing the idea from Axel's forum. What are your 5 rarest, or "coolest", fruit trees?

My rarest (For California): Both grown without protection.

Rollinia deliciosa

achachairu

Not so rare -- but still less common:

Manilkara zapota (Sapadilla, xa po che, chico sapote) "Alano"

A little rare -- but pretty cool:

Artocarpus heterophyllus (jackfruit, mit)

Myrciaria cauliflora (Jaboticaba)

Pitaya, and Pitahaya (Dragon fruit, hao long guo, thanh long)

PS The dragon fruit isn't really a fruit tree. But it can be trellised and grown almost like a fruit tree.

I've seen a few nice Jack fruit trees in my neighborhood. Dragon fruit is very common here in the urban areas of San Diego.

Jackfruit in SoCAL....REALLY?

How long have you had them?

Have they experienced winter yet?

Id like2grow them as well if they will survive the winter and produce decent fruit.

I have Manila mango purchased from Home Depot as a 5 gallon almost a year ago.

Planted in half day sun. I get faster growth rate on the Parajubea.

I have a dragon fruit also on a trellis.

Cheers

Biggest jackfruit I've seen in CA is in a backyard in Cerritos, maybe 17-18' tall. I'm guessing there are probably larger ones in San Diego Co. Young trees are available at Mimosa Nursery in Anaheim.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

My rare fruit/spice/nut tree collection includes:

Cherry of the rio grande

3 varieties of surinam cherry ( Chumba, Lolita, and Florida black.. or purple, ive heard it called both)

2 macadamea seedlings. Had 3 but gave one to a co worker.

2 Allspice trees ive had since 2008. 1 stayed here when id moved to Florida.

2 Ice cream bean seedlings. Both stayed outside this past winter.

1 Jaboticaba going into its second year outside

A Tamarind which also survived outside last winter in an unheated greenhouse.

And my Longan seedling. The co worker I shared a mac seedling with has a larger longan that has produced/ is currently producing flowers up in Sunnyvale.

Awhile back, I also had a Carrie mango seedling which stayed with a relative when id moved. When I returned back here, it was flowering and had at least 6 tiny fruit starting to develop. Unfortunately I ended up loosing it shortly afterwards due to some sort of

disease which had completely girdled the trunk by the time I was back in calif. Was a bit depressed to have lost it.

• Like 1

Durio graveolens , red fleshed fruit .

Durio oblongus

Artocarpus rigidus , Monkey Jak

Artocarpus lacoocha

Lecythis zabucajo Paradise Nut

not rAREST ones , but first to mind

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

My fruit trees that are least commonly seen around here are:

Garcinia sp. (forgot the species name) related to mangosteen

Carambola (starfruit)

Lychee

Cherimoya

Eugenia sp. (forgot the species name) related to surinam cherry

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Durio oblongus

Artocarpus lacoocha

Those are some rare Durio!

I just want to succeed with regular durian, and regular mangosteen, and pulasan. I'm so determined that I am working on the design for a greenhouse with a retractable roof -- that would connect to the end of a regular greenhouse.

I fell in love with our Puerto Rican farm in part because of the existing rare fruit collection. As to the rarest, I'm not sure. Amazon grape (Pourouma cecropiaefolia) is fruiting and delicious. I like the Herranias and Theobromas so I have several species of each. Nutmeg and Cloves were on my "must plant" list and I was able to get some in the ground several years ago. No fruit yet from these two.

Lots of Garcinias from tiny ones to huge producing Mangosteens. I guess Stelechocarpus burahol is still pretty uncommon too.

I'm actually kind of behind in growing the newest fruit as I see from the Fruitlover's seed list online. I think my palm obsession has interfered. So many really interesting plants and so little time...

Cindy Adair

Durio oblongus

Artocarpus lacoocha

Those are some rare Durio!

I just want to succeed with regular durian, and regular mangosteen, and pulasan. I'm so determined that I am working on the design for a greenhouse with a retractable roof -- that would connect to the end of a regular greenhouse.

Robert,

You brave man. Did you know that one of the very few fruit trees that the legendary rare fruit pioneer, Bill Whitman, was not able to fruit was Durian? Fairchild's rare fruit pavilion has a couple of real tall durians ( maybe more ) but no fruit. Every time I go there, I head straight to the Durians.....trees.

BTW, Whitman is credited for fruiting the first Mangosteen in the continental US. But if your a rare fruit person, you probably knew all of this already and more !!!

GOOD LUCK !!!

Manny

Manny,

I do know about Bill Whitman. His success with mangosteens makes me want to try them. I think that it can be done. I think that I have a better chance of succeeding with mangosteens than durian but I want to try both. I am not going to keep them exclusively inside a greenhouse so I think that might help them fruit.

I didn't know that Fairchild had durian trees. It is curious that some trees don't fruit. Weirdly sapadilla were grown in California for years and years before anybody finally got a fruiting tree. Now it seems that every rare fruit grower has a fruiting tree. I even do ("Alano"). I know that durian trees are rarely self pollinating, so to get fruit you probably need at least two. Two different varieties might even increase the odds.

It will be at least a year until I get my greenhouse built and perhaps another year before get the trees going -- even longer if I start them from seed. So it will take a while for me to really see the results of my experiment. And I get slowed down because my interest wavers between my competing gardening passions -- rare fruit, palms, cycads, plumeria, orchids, and even vegetable gardening.

Thanks for wishing me luck! Manny you ought to try them. I would think that you would have a shot in your part of Florida.

Richard

Carambola (starfruit)

Lychee

Cherimoya

Is it Garcinia xanthochymus? I've been looking for this tree.

Here's a photo of Garcinia xanthochymus at Fullerton Arboretum. I know it survived the cold weather of 2007...as this photo was taken in August of 2008. It appeared to have had some frost damage.

post-1786-0-85924900-1374091803_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Carambola (starfruit)

Lychee

Cherimoya

Here's a photo of Garcinia xanthochymus at Fullerton Arboretum. I know it survived the cold weather of 2007...as this photo was taken in August of 2008. It appeared to have had some frost damage.

Yes that is Garcinia xanthochymus. JD Andersen (In Fallbrook) used to sell those. Maybe he still does. If not you might try Bonita Creek Nursery (Bonita).

Jackfruit in SoCAL....REALLY?

How long have you had them?

Have they experienced winter yet?

Id like2grow them as well if they will survive the winter and produce decent fruit.

I have Manila mango purchased from Home Depot as a 5 gallon almost a year ago.

Planted in half day sun. I get faster growth rate on the Parajubea.

I have a dragon fruit also on a trellis.

Cheers

Yes, I've seen several Jack fruit trees here in Southern California; however, they don't produce fruit with out being well-cared for, with fertilizer and lots of water.

The largest I've ever seen is about 16ft tall and it's only about 1 1/2 miles from my house here in the College Area. I have photos which I need to find in my millions of plant pics. When I find them I will post it.

Carambola (starfruit)

Lychee

Cherimoya

Yes that is Garcinia xanthochymus. JD Andersen (In Fallbrook) used to sell those. Maybe he still does. If not you might try Bonita Creek Nursery (Bonita).

Thanks for the information! I think this tree is more beautiful than Garcinia mangostana. Do you know if G. xanthochymus produces fruit here in California?

Lychee starting to ripen. I can't wait! :yay:

post-126-0-78032300-1374093192_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Carambola (starfruit)

Lychee

Cherimoya

Thanks for the information! I think this tree is more beautiful than Garcinia mangostana. Do you know if G. xanthochymus produces fruit here in California?

I think that the tree in Fullerton is producing fruit. I've heard rumors around about a Garcinia mangostana -- in Vista -- that is always in fruit. But I would have to check that out to believe it. I suspect that it is really a Garcinia xanthochymus.

Carambola (starfruit)

Lychee

Cherimoya

I think that the tree in Fullerton is producing fruit. I've heard rumors around about a Garcinia mangostana -- in Vista -- that is always in fruit. But I would have to check that out to believe it. I suspect that it is really a Garcinia xanthochymus.

Thanks again for the information! I must go to Fullerton Arboretum; I haven't been there in a long time.

If some in Vista is growing G. mongostana that would be quite a success story here in California. I definitely would have to see photos. The only reason why I don't think it would grow in Vista is because of the dry Santa Ana conditions. I know the tree needs very high heat and humidity (all year) to grow well and produce fruit.

Most likely you're correct, it's G. xanthochymus.

Hey guys,

My Garcinia's label is hard to read, but it looks like Garcinia ganoderma or something like that. I know it's not ganoderma, but it starts with a G. What species could this be?

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's Garcinia gardneriana

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Hey guys,

My Garcinia's label is hard to read, but it looks like Garcinia ganoderma or something like that. I know it's not ganoderma, but it starts with a G. What species could this be?

How does it do here? How big is your tree? Is it fruiting yet?

Hey guys,

Where did you buy your Garcinia gardneriana? ...or did you grow it from seed? I've never seen any Garcinia species for sale here in California.

It's just a small tree, a few feet tall, just planted out this year. I got it from Matt Patricelli a few years ago and grew it up to a nice 5 gallon before planting it out.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

post-1729-0-47886400-1374416804_thumb.jppost-1729-0-38626200-1374416825_thumb.jp

Unsure as to how cool or rare - here is some shots of my Jaboticaba. Its over 7 ft and has yet to fruit. Just read up that it could take up to 15 years to fruit if propogated from seed. A little disappointing hearing that. I'm only half way there. Perhaps some iron supplements will encourage it.

Here is a link - directed more towards California grown Jaboticaba. http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/jaboticaba.html

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

post-1729-0-91919000-1374419786_thumb.jppost-1729-0-10250900-1374419808_thumb.jp

Its this tree's first year to fruit. I want to try these fruits ripe. Its suppose to have an unpleasant odor when ripe.

post-1729-0-80773900-1374419963_thumb.jp

Here is a shot with a lid of a HD 5 gallon bucket lid for scale.

This link would be more helpful to those wishing to cultivate Jak Fruit in Florida: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg370

It's just a small tree, a few feet tall, just planted out this year. I got it from Matt Patricelli a few years ago and grew it up to a nice 5 gallon before planting it out.

Is Matt Patricelli an owner of a nursery or a friend?

I'm sure your Garcinia will grow very well for you. I've seen many photos of your garden and everything looks so beautifully grown. One day I'd love to see your garden in person.

You're welcome anytime. Matt P. is a friend, he's Matt in SD here on the forum.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

You're welcome anytime. Matt P. is a friend, he's Matt in SD here on the forum.

Thanks for the information!

Thanks! :) I'll PM you soon to see what your schedule is like in the next couple of weeks.

attachicon.gifJak Fruit 3.JPGattachicon.gifJak Fruit 4.JPG

Its this tree's first year to fruit. I want to try these fruits ripe. Its suppose to have an unpleasant odor when ripe.

attachicon.gifJak Fruit 5.JPG

This link would be more helpful to those wishing to cultivate Jak Fruit in Florida: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg370

Jak fruit are cool!

You say that it's supposed to have a bad odor when ripe?? Are you perhaps thinking of durian instead? I've always thought that jak fruit tasted a bit like sweet bubblegum.

My 5 rarest and tastiest:

1) Selma pink fleshed cherimoya

2) Lucuma

3) Ice cream bean, not rare but when it's 25 feet tall and in Central California, it's rare.

4) Red Rover Passion Fruit (Rare only because red rover is pretty obscure)

5) White Pakistan Himalayan mulberry

The rest of the stuff I have is relatively common, guavas, white sapote, eugenias and so on is all run of the mill and growing all over Central California.

2) Lucuma

3) Ice cream bean, not rare but when it's 25 feet tall and in Central California, it's rare.

The rest of the stuff I have is relatively common, guavas, white sapote, eugenias and so on is all run of the mill and growing all over Central California.

See, now I feel weird, because I've been trying to kill this thing for years, but it give me some privacy from the neighbors to the north. Still dumps pounds and kilos of berries on my deck every day for months over the summer....

FREE if you want to come to Nebraska and uproot a 30' tall/wide tree!

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

2) Lucuma

See, now I feel weird, because I've been trying to kill this thing for years, but it give me some privacy from the neighbors to the north. Still dumps pounds and kilos of berries on my deck every day for months over the summer....

But they're so tasty and you can make such good jelly with fruit. Reminds me of being a kid.

2) Lucuma

But they're so tasty and you can make such good jelly with fruit. Reminds me of being a kid.

Yeah, but between this tree and the black mulberry in the neighbors yard all my deck cushions are stained to oblivion...

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

attachicon.gifJak Fruit 3.JPGattachicon.gifJak Fruit 4.JPG

attachicon.gifJak Fruit 5.JPG

Jak fruit are cool!

You say that it's supposed to have a bad odor when ripe?? Are you perhaps thinking of durian instead? I've always thought that jak fruit tasted a bit like sweet bubblegum.

The fruit inside don't smell, its the latex laden "rind". At least this is information I gleened from the links I posted above. These are my first fruit - so I am new at this fruiting happening. :)

Well - its not a tree but this is rarest fruiting plant in my garden

post-1729-0-83407000-1375610959_thumb.jp

A little pup that was the remnants of the momma that got blown over

post-1729-0-38343000-1375611172_thumb.jppost-1729-0-35104700-1375611197_thumb.jp

Another location of more mature plants. The middle stem has already fruited and needs to be removed. The others are suckers that are starting to crank.

• Like 3

Moose,

That banana is cool. I want to get one of those AeAe banana's! I could work that into my palm garden. I have a Gold Nugget jakfruit. What is yours?

I love my Garcinia livingstonei, Black Sapote, Nam Doc Mai Mango, Jujubee and Loquat. I have others (Attemoya, Longan, Wax Jambu, Malay Apple, Cainito & Pitomba, some of which have not given any yield yet.

• 9 years later...

We have added more fruit tree's -- Brewster Lychee, Kohala longon, Pitangatuba, Black Sapote, Seedless Thai Guava, Garcinia humilis ("Achacha"), Garcinia intermedia ("Lemon Drop Mangosteen"), Garcinia livingstonei,  Garcinia mangostana (Mangosteen), Miracle Fruit, and a variety of dragon fruit.  I did have a durian too, but it died last spring...

• Like 4

these are all quite new for me... garcinia sp pacuri, garcinia russell's sweet, garcinia luc's, garcinia madruno, garcinia intermedia, annona (rollinia) deliciosa, annona muricata, mammea americana, eugenia tinctoria, durian from store bought fruit seeds.

• Like 1

My 5 rarest for Texas would be pitangatuba, ginberry(Glycosmis pentaphylla), red jaboticaba, Garcinia Brasiliensis(which unfortunately looks to be dying) and Bunchosia argentea. 

Technically my various Asimina species are rare too for my area, but they are native to Florida, the gulf states and eastern US..