• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Your 5 rarest, or "coolest" fruit trees?

rprimbs

1 hour ago, amh said:

My 5 rarest for Texas would be pitangatuba, ginberry(Glycosmis pentaphylla), red jaboticaba, Garcinia Brasiliensis(which unfortunately looks to be dying) and Bunchosia argentea. 

Technically my various Asimina species are rare too for my area, but they are native to Florida, the gulf states and eastern US..

How are your pawpaws doing? Fruiting yet? 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

1 hour ago, Xenon said:

How are your pawpaws doing? Fruiting yet? 

The pawpaws are doing okay, I lost all but one of my grafted trees to pawpaw sphinx moths. All of the other trees are about 5 ft tall. I have one tree that blooms, but no pollinators yet. 

The 3 year drought has kept everything from thriving, so hopefully the conditions improve this year.

For the record, pawpaws are not deer or caterpillar resistant.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, amh said:

The pawpaws are doing okay, I lost all but one of my grafted trees to pawpaw sphinx moths. All of the other trees are about 5 ft tall. I have one tree that blooms, but no pollinators yet. 

The 3 year drought has kept everything from thriving, so hopefully the conditions improve this year.

I forgot to mention that the 3 asimina species I am currently growing are;  Asimina obovataAsimina parviflora and Asimina triloba.

I intend to acquire more species, but viable seed is hard to come by.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Jdash said:

wonderful pawpaw collection! where did you find pawpaws for sale?

Paw paws are pretty easy to find online.  It's the best way to get name varieties

One Green World in Portland probably has the most varieties for sale.  I will caution if you buy from them they will be pretty small.

• Like 1

I'm growing Pringles Sapote (Casimiroa pringlei).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jdash said:

thanks for the heads up, really on the hunt for endemic species of florida

Best bet for endemics would be contacting various native nurseries to see who might grow them ..Sweetbay Nursery, in Palmetto is one of the best if you're ever out that way.   Possible there are folks on the Rare Fruit Forum growing them as well..

That or obtaining seed from the wild..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jdash said:

wonderful pawpaw collection! where did you find pawpaws for sale?

2 hours ago, Jdash said:

thanks for the heads up, really on the hunt for endemic species of florida

I purchased a few A. triloba from a nursery, but the other species were obtained by ordering seed online.

I will warn you against buying seeds from seed stores since Annonaceae seeds are recalcitrant, so only order from sellers who have mother plants and fresh seed.

Native plant nurseries and some palmtalk members may have what you are searching for.

• Like 1

I currently have two red Annona squamosa trees producing fruit.

I will take pictures when the weather permits.

For everyone's  information, deer do not browse my Annona squamosa trees, but they will eat the Asimina genus.

• Like 2

Here are two shots of the sugar apples taken in between the rain today. I am hoping that the fruit ripens before winter.

rsa1.thumb.jpg.0e540324bfd6dc867f48fb0693210c59.jpg

rsa2.thumb.jpg.dc4e5969a9411ebb8aa0240203537535.jpg

On 4/6/2023 at 6:02 PM, amh said:

Interesting. I had five small pawpaw's when I lived in NE Oklahoma. I also lived in the woods and had to constantly contend with deer. The deer would strip every leaf they could reach on apple, peach, mulberry, chestnut, or pear trees. They may have nibbled on my jujube or pawpaw's once in five years. (During a drought) They never touched my figs at all.

I knew people only ten miles way from my house who claimed that deer were always eating on their figs. 

Who knows why deer have different tastes in different locations? 🤔

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ben G. said:

Interesting. I had five small pawpaw's when I lived in NE Oklahoma. I also lived in the woods and had to constantly contend with deer. The deer would strip every leaf they could reach on apple, peach, mulberry, chestnut, or pear trees. They may have nibbled on my jujube or pawpaw's once in five years. (During a drought) They never touched my figs at all.

I knew people only ten miles way from my house who claimed that deer were always eating on their figs. 

Who knows why deer have different tastes in different locations? 🤔

The deer leave my figs alone, but they will occasionally eat my pawpaws. Right now the biggest killers are caterpillars and grasshoppers, I'll take some pictures tomorrow of the damage.

As I mentioned earlier, the sugar apples are not browsed by deer or eaten by insects, but the leaves produce a very strong odor when touched.