• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dean / Dorian Ouer Garden PRA " unbelievable "

Tassie_Troy1971

After departing Dennis "the Maestro " Willoughby's garden Matty B and i headed up the Encinitas a nice Coastal town in San Diego County . Our destination was our PALM Moderator Dypsis Dean's old garden that has been lovingly thinned out and restored by Dean's Son Dorian whom lives in this man made paradise ! :drool:

He started his rather large garden over 25 years ago and was particularly interested in many of the newly avaliable Madagascar species. The palms and canopy trees that survived are now mature and established. Featured are rare species of
Ravenea, Dypsis, and New Caledonia species, as well as unusual New World palms.
Dean moved to Hawaii ten years ago, and until recently the constant care and new planting became a thing of the past . Dorian has done an outstanding job of bringing back this garden to it's former glory . the garden was completely
renovated since Dean left and it looked beautiful. A lot of the canopy was opened up and the extra sunlight is what some of the palms really needed . :greenthumb: :greenthumb: :greenthumb:

Upon arrival i was greeted by this Trithrinax acanthocoma

IMG_4897.jpg

Dean's security guard had gathered some moss over the yrs

IMG_4907.jpg

Birds nest fern perched on a rock

IMG_4948.jpg

Matty was impressed by Brahea nitida

IMG_4947.jpg

IMG_4946.jpg

• Upvote 3

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

BS man turns up in Chauffeur driven by his girlfriend in this Muscle car !

IMG_4940.jpg

Uh oh it's time for another Dypsis diagnostic by BS Man

IMG_4944.jpg

He is getting serious now as the glasses are put on ! :bemused:

IMG_4945.jpg

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Dorian planted this Chambeyronia houailou and its doing great - no wonder after 25 yrs of mulching and leaf litter

IMG_4943.jpg

Another dypsis diagnostic by Bill

IMG_4939.jpg

Bamboo and plenty of it

IMG_4938.jpg

Nice Cyathea think its a New Caledonia one ,maybe Dean can answer ? Mod Edit: (Cyathea spinosa - I think)

IMG_4937.jpg

Love these things as they add so much character to the garden

IMG_4936.jpg

• Like 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

IMG_4935.jpg

Nice Howea belmoreana - perfect climate for Lord Howe Island palms

IMG_4934.jpg

Foxy lady

IMG_4933.jpg

BS Man surveys the scene for any rare dypsis !

IMG_4932.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Cyphosperma balansae - and a very nice one at that ! :drool:

IMG_4931.jpg

IMG_4921.jpg

What a spectacular homemade jungle environment !

IMG_4930.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Looks like I'm molesting that poor Brahea. I was gentle I swear.

• Upvote 2

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Did you say Giant Ceroxylon ! :greenthumb:

There were 2 with at least 6 m of CT one was Ceroxylon alpinum and rthe other was Ceroxylon echinulatum i can't remember which one this was but -- "WOW "

IMG_4928.jpg

IMG_4929.jpg

• Upvote 3

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Very nice garden! It must be wonderful to have a child grow up and become interested in maintaining and adding to Dean's California garden.

It doesn't seem likely for me at this point, but you never know...

Cindy Adair

I remember i a thread about Hedyscepe a few yes ago Dean said i planted 2 the same size many years ago and one was a rocket and one was a runt "

This one was the rocket Hedyscepe for sure ! :yay:

IMG_4927.jpg

IMG_4926.jpg

This one Er is the runt ! :floor:

post-1252-0-92411100-1378597981_thumb.jp

• Upvote 3

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Burretiokentia

IMG_4925.jpg

IMG_4924.jpg

IMG_4923.jpg

• Upvote 2

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Cyphophoenix elegans -- Visiting here is like a cheap trip to New Caledonia

IMG_4920.jpg

IMG_4919.jpg

Chameadorea woodsoniana

IMG_4918.jpg

• Upvote 3

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

IMG_4917.jpg

IMG_4916.jpg

IMG_4915.jpg

Another palm ,manhandled by Matty B

IMG_4912.jpg

• Upvote 2

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

IMG_4911.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

Huge Rhopalostylis

IMG_4909.jpg

• Upvote 3

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Dypsis decipiens

IMG_4906.jpg

Dorian was very proud of the pond area ! and rightly so

IMG_4905.jpg

• Upvote 2

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Leaning livistona

IMG_4904.jpg

IMG_4903.jpg

IMG_4902.jpg

• Upvote 3

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

ceroxylon again

IMG_4901.jpg

IMG_4900.jpg

IMG_4899.jpg

IMG_4898.jpg

• Upvote 3

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

The other Ceroxylon - Will the real alpinum please stand up !

IMG_4890.jpg

IMG_4889.jpg

IMG_4891.jpg

• Upvote 2

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Unfortunately i couldn't take any video's here as my camera batteries were running on vapors after the epic Willoughby tour !

I really enjoyed this garden and seeing all the mature specimens and the best part is that the torch has been passed to the next generation being Dorian whom has done an amazing job with the garden !

Cheers Troy

Stay tuned next week for the Darold Petty "My cloudforest palm collection @ sea level tour " :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Wow - whoever planted those must be getting really old by now. :)

Very nice garden! It must be wonderful to have a child grow up and become interested in maintaining and adding to Dean's California garden.

That's for sure Cindy. I would have said the same thing 10 years ago.

Norm - you are correct about the Ceroxylon.

And Troy - you didn't show the species I am most proud of - the one that was the most difficult to raise to maturity. :)

Thanks for the photos. It's been a few years since I've been back.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Wow - whoever planted those must be getting really old by now. :)

You never know Cindy. I would have said the same thing 10 years ago.

Norm - you are correct about the Ceroxylon.

And Troy - you didn't show the species I am most proud of - the one that was almost impossible to raise to maturity. :)

Dean, great to see your gardens and slice of history is being "carried on" and added to by your son Dorian. Palms and gardens are looking :greenthumb: Dorian, keep it up, thanks for yet "another Cali thread" Troy, you must have been "stuffed" when you arrived back home? :) You better post a pic of "what sp" Dean is "most proud of" Pete :)

I am not sure which one it was Dean ! is there a washingtonia hidden in the back somewhere ??

Yes Dean Dorian has done a fabulous job restoring your California palm legacy !

"" Troy, you must have been "stuffed" when you arrived back home? " Not when i got back home but by the time i arrived in SFO and did the rounds with Darold i was for sure .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Great garden! What everyone doesn't know though is that Matty does a bunch of push-ups right before he poses with a palm so his arms look huge. I know, I've been there when he's getting his picture taken.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Great pics of a great garden, no need to go to Singapore BG!

Gladly I discovered Palmtalk last year!

Many Thanks

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Fantastic garden! Dean was very kind in allowing me to visit unsupervised a few years ago. Dorian was not at home. I stood behind the house; with the gentle sound of bamboo in the wind it hardly seemed that I was in California. Mega-kudos for a two generation garden.

I don't think either Ceroxylon shown could be C. echinulatum. According to Henderson, (and my observation) the leaflets of a mature C. echinulatum are completely pendulous, as much so as a Euterpe precatoria. This is a most beautiful detail, and one that I hope my small plant will someday express.

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Fantastic garden! Dean was very kind in allowing me to visit unsupervised a few years ago. Dorian was not at home. I stood behind the house; with the gentle sound of bamboo in the wind it hardly seemed that I was in California. Mega-kudos for a two generation garden.

I don't think either Ceroxylon shown could be C. echinulatum. According to Henderson, (and my observation) the leaflets of a mature C. echinulatum are completely pendulous, as much so as a Euterpe precatoria. This is a most beautiful detail, and one that I hope my small plant will someday express.

I know what you mean Darold, that's what one thinks of for echinulatum but read this from the recent monograph on Ceroxylon. "Ceroxylon echinulatum is diagnosed by its very long petiole, leaves arched with pinnae regularly arranged, slightly to completely pendulous........" Let me know if you want an electronic copy though suspect you have one already. Could well get more pendulous with age like the quindiense here which are still morphing even with quite a few metres of trunk and after flowering has begun.

Note that there are three Ceroxylon in this garden. One C. alpinum and the other two were C. sp. collected many many years ago by Phil Bergman. Not sure who came up with C. echinulatum, but it is the first I ever heard of it.

Kona, on The Big Island

It Would be great if someone could ;ld positively identify the mystery Ceroxylon :rolleyes:

Yes Darold it's hard to believe that you are in dry Southern California when you stand in the backyard .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Troy brought it up. If your alpinum came from Ecuador then it is now known as echinulatum (formerly known as alpinum subsp ecuadoreanse). True alpinum is only found in Colombia and Venezuala.

It Would be great if someone could ;ld positively identify the mystery Ceroxylon :rolleyes:

Yes Darold it's hard to believe that you are in dry Southern California when you stand in the backyard .

Country of origin is a huge clue with Ceroxylon.

Thanks for the kind words. =)

The echinulatum ID came from talking with Phil Bergman, who collected them originally. The two that were previously unidentified (the back yard, and by the pond -- not the alpinum) were both collected in Ecuador on a trip that Phil took with his son around 1990. One was named sp. '6000 feet' and the other sp. 'big silver'. Now that they've matured some, they look like the same plant, with the one in the back yard being only about half the size from being in heavy shade.

The leaves do sometimes get slightly pendulous, although I think it had just dropped a couple before the pictures were taken here.

The third ceroxylon in the yard seems to match alpinum, and hasn't been a source of any contention from folks who have seen it in person before, but who knows? =) There were some really good pictures of the trunk and crown that were put up back at the Palm Society tour. It's a much more cream-colored, thick and waxy trunk than the two others, which are more of a silvery-white paper texture. Definitely a different palm, and not collected by Phil.

(Multiple edits because apparently I can't spell tonight.)

Edited by Dorian
  • Upvote 1

YOW

i'M composting . . .

wabbly babbly icky acky ucky ucky . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

If they came from Ecuador at 2000m and have regularly arranged pinnae then they can only be echinulatum or parvifrons if collected in nature. And they certainly are not parvifrons!

thanks Troy for posting, like seeing the guys study the palms up close Professor Bill and Doctor Matty..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Beautiful! Question: In a garden like this.... in between the palms.... where are the weeds? How do you keep the "forest floor" so clean? Is it just that dry there? Does the shade do it?

Are you sure this is California? That garden looks amazing, so tropical. Well done, I love the ceroxylons and the giant hedycepe. It's amazing what is possible right along the coast.

Beautiful! Question: In a garden like this.... in between the palms.... where are the weeds? How do you keep the "forest floor" so clean? Is it just that dry there? Does the shade do it?

The best kept secret of gardening - that I will share with just you. :)

A thick layer of mulch not only keeps weeds away, it retains moisture, moderated root temperature, promotes micro-organisms, and adds nutrients. With a thick layer of mulch new weeds are very few - only those that blow in or birds drop. So with a very very small amount of Round Up, a brief trip around the garden once a month, and it stays like that.

I understand the aversion some have to chemicals. I do too. But my philosophy is to use as few as you can. Use them to your advantage, in very small amounts, only when you have to. And by using mulch and spraying a very small amount regularly, weed free is easy. For me it is a beneficial trade off to letting things get out of hand and having to use more chemicals later, or spending time on weeding for something more beneficial to the garden - like bringing in more mulch.

You would be amazed at how little you use and how diluted you can make Round Up if you only have a very few young small weeds to attend to every month. And of course you could always use just your fingers. :)

Kona, on The Big Island

Great advice there Dean and since i have been using a thick layer of Peastraw as mulch i have notice my soil stays moist and relatively weed free !

It's interesting to note that Deans old Garden in Encinitas and Aaron Bagley's "Bags " appear to have virtually the same Micro climate and i bet Aaron's will look even more amazing in years to come .

Dean did you ever grow Lepidorrachis in the old garden ?

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Dean did you ever grow Lepidorrachis in the old garden ?

Yes - but it was one of the casualties when I left - got slowly covered with bamboo growth. It stayed alive and looked good for about 5 years.
  • Like 1

Kona, on The Big Island