• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Our 'Nursery'

LilikoiLee

I’ve lost more seedlings, 2 inchers and 4 inchers than I’d like to admit (many were lost while I was at Nong Nooch) so my husband Mike (O’o Bar Master) built me a ‘nursery’ which has increased our palm survival rate by at least 75%.

He built the ‘nursery’ in a very shady and wind-free back corner of our property using trestle tables. We bought a couple dozen plastic boxes from one of the big box stores and organized the ‘babies’ alphabetically. For example, all of our young Licuala fill 4 boxes and each box contains one or two species of that genus (based on the first letter of the species). I only put a few palms in each box so they have plenty of ‘breathing room’. The holes in the boxes also help.

This system makes it very easy to find a palm that needs to be repotted or is ready to go in the ground; identify a palm that has lost its tag; keep the palms from being accidentally knocked off a table and to look for pests and other problems.

post-3412-0-91879100-1384125528_thumb.jp post-3412-0-37035300-1384125502_thumb.jp

We also have the same style of boxes in different colors. I use these to segregate sick palms so I can better monitor their progress and treat them. For example all the palms with scale go into the same box away from the healthy plants.

Two storage containers (not visible in the picture) make it easy to access the chemicals, sprayers, fertilizers, etc. that I use.

A hose to the area and a recently installed misting system make it easy to give them the amount of water the different palms need.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Lee, it looks great. Love the colors. Where did you find the cartons?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Very organized, I like it also. Can't tell you how many times I've lost tags.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Lee, it looks great. Love the colors. Where did you find the cartons?

Aloha Keith,

I know we are not supposed to mention nurseries here; not sure about other stores. However, they were in the back-to-school section of one of the three large national chains whose name doesn't start with a K or a T.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.