• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bactris sp. ? Can anyone help with a species ID?

FNQ Marcus

Just purchased a Bactris from Jan at TNQ Palms, but she couldn't provide me with a species ID for it. I'm Thinking Bactris major, but with 70 species to choose from I'm just taking a stab in the dark.

post-6760-0-58044000-1387105918_thumb.jp

post-6760-0-18635100-1387105998_thumb.jp

I just couldn't resist another spiky palm.

post-6760-0-36014100-1387106068_thumb.jp

www.sheoakridge.com
Our private nature reserve in Far North Queensland, Australia.
Too much rain in the Wet season and not enough in the Dry. At least we never get frost.

Ah,my poor Bactris......... because you're not a Dypsis no one cares. :crying:

www.sheoakridge.com
Too much rain in the Wet season and not enough in the Dry. At least we never get frost.

In the forests here one comes across Bactris all the time, and getting stung by the spines if not careful.

Determining is difficult as there are so many species, I rely on the maps of the distribution to have an idea what they might be.

Once yours are flowering we could have a try at determining.

And then there are the cultivated Bactris gassipaes , also known as pejibaye here.These come in several sizes, colours, tastes, with or without spines, etc...

Thanks Jose. I'll bump this thread and add a few new pics in a couple of years when there is more to work with. I thought this one was a bit of a tricky one as it's not a popular genus.

So it will go in the ground as Bactris sp? today.

www.sheoakridge.com

Not a popular genus,you said, yes...Marcus , they all have spines!

Imagine your kids playing in a garden with Bactris....

Also the case with Aiphanes, a very beautiful palm,has even more spines. I brought one home, like 2 meters already, but my wife did not let me plant it in the garden, so I planted it outside.

Bactris,they are mostly left alone, nobody tries to cultivate the small ones.

The large ones, Bactris gassipaes is another story (pejibaye) , planted on farms,good to eat: palm-heart and fruits. Marcus,you could try some in North Queensland.

Robert Wilson, from the Wilson botanical garden, once told me he had introduced pejibaye to New Guinea, a similar climate.

I have a collection of spiky palms just to add a little trunk variety. Though I have to admit I did suffer a little blood-loss when I planted this Bactris. Those spines are like little syringes and you can hardly feel it when they go in.

Pitty it's so hard to find and Bactris for sale in Australia. This is my first.

www.sheoakridge.com

Marcus, I've seen a lot of Bactris major in habitat and yours does look like a small one.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica