• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some of my heat loving palms!

Peter Pacific

We should start a Tropical subforum for us guys who live in the heat year round! Here are some of mine that love the heat!

Pigafetta elata

Arenga pinnata

Corypha macropoda

Latania lontaroides

C. warscewiczii

Syagrus x costae

Dypsis pembana

Acrocomia aculeata

post-2997-0-10003900-1392505461_thumb.jp

post-2997-0-87149200-1392505706_thumb.jp

post-2997-0-67762700-1392506027_thumb.jp

post-2997-0-26308200-1392506530_thumb.jp

post-2997-0-76062700-1392506885_thumb.jp

post-2997-0-95696800-1392507224_thumb.jp

post-2997-0-91538000-1392507765_thumb.jp

post-2997-0-16488000-1392508093_thumb.jp

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

• 7 months later...

Peter,

I agree with: …. a Tropical subforum for us palms who live in the heat year round! I hate Trachycarpus! (lol)

More seriously, I notice we grow many same species (of palms and other plants).

For me it's very interesting to see your pictures since it shows me what I can hope to get in several years .

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

My yard in Vero Beach is nowhere near tropical enough. We've merely been lucky with 3 years of warm winters. The more tropical palms in the yard have been booming in the August-September wet spell. Here's my young Latania, which has gone from wimp to thriving this summer.

post-275-0-53302700-1412299282_thumb.jpg

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Very nice Lantania Dave! Looking at your garden I would think a lot farther south than Vero Beach.

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

In our climate, Bismarckias are probably truly hardy, but they grow so fast, it doesn't really matter. The Latania will be less hardy and a local expert assures me it'll freeze. On the other hand, Crysophila warscewiczii went through two noxious winters and didn't even suffer leaf damage. Go figure.

Boy Peter, with the summer/fall we've had, it has felt like tropical Asia. Hot and humid! The palms are loving it, but then they're pretty happy here all of the time.

Your garden is looking great......I can feel the heat now.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Great selection of palms Peter, I like the idea for a tropical palm thread, would be a spectacular thread, just out of curiosity how much sun does your C. warscewiczii, I've got one potted up and am looking for a place to put it

Thanks Paul

Couldn't agree more with a tropical/sub tropical thread. If it's good enough for cold hardy, why not tropical species?

Hi Paul, NApalm, it would be a great forum wouldn't it? The C. warscewiczii gets full sun from about 10 to 3. I had to move a couple that were small and planted in too much shade. The one that's in full sun has grown a lot faster than the one that's shaded. If I were planting them again I would definitely give these palms as much sun as possible. They are great to watch mature and mine are just starting to develop stilt roots.

Peter

Peter

I agree with that idea. Although I am nowhere near a tropical area- Im sure there are other nuances associated with growing tropical palms. It would be interesting to read that forum also... and it will keep me from bitching about my winters!

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

I agree with that idea. Although I am nowhere near a tropical area- Im sure there are other nuances associated with growing tropical palms. It would be interesting to read that forum also... and it will keep me from bitching about my winters!

You're an ideas man sailorbold. I like the cut of your jib

I think you Queenslanders and Floridians just want another opportunity to gloat.... (and I am just very envious, and pathetic)

Climatic Zone: Vile..

The number of just 'tropical' posters on Palmtalk is relatively low and creating a separate forum would, in time, become a rather lonely place. Between tropical and subtropical palms, there is considerable crossover and keeping these topics together in the main forum makes for a more lively and interesting place to share information. That's how things look to me.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Yes, Sailorbold, no one wants to hear you bitch about your New Mexican winters!!

Tim, I really was talking in jest. I would never want to divide palmtalkers attention. When I look at a post it's usually because it's a palm species that I have in my garden, want in my garden or just look like a crazy zone pusher. I never look at Cold Hardy Palms because when I see the gorgeous posts of Jubaea's or Hedyscepe's or even Trachy's I just fall to pieces knowing I can never grow these a few degrees north of the equator. Unfortunately a Tropical forum would be a lonely place. When are you coming back to Guatemala?

gob1, I can't gloat. I'm a little farther south than Florida.

Peter

Peter

Even though I am in South Carolina, and my area is a zone 8, I have family in Ft. Myers and Dauphin Island, AL. I definitely would check out such a forum since I get to play a little in the dirt at both places. I wish I could grow Bismarks, Coconuts, etc. here in South Carolina. I have to settle for my Sabal Uresana instead of a Bizzy, and Butias and hybrids instead of coconuts. I like looking at elephants ears and bananas from there since you guys can grow them year round. Our first frost usually in mid November zaps ours. Sigh.

post-275-0-94536200-1412365329_thumb.jpg

Here's my rather cold-hardy Crysophila warscewiczii. The nearby airport has been down to 26 F, with no leaf damage. It's transitioning from a mound of leaves to trunk, which means having to figure out what to grow around its base. If my luck with this individual is a good indication, this palm could grow well at least to the barrier island of Brevard County, Florida.