• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hellacious Hail in Nebraska

DoomsDave

I recall that one of our Palm Talkers is located in Nebraska, and I hope such PTer didn't encounter the hail shown below.

Yike.

Mommy.

BpOvO_KIMAEih0s.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I wonder if this is Warren Buffet's car?

He's a frugal guy . . .

(Hope it isn't. Not a joke for whoever's car this is.)

BpPjQpOCEAA9ek8.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So far my family back there has escaped the worst of it Some of my sister's inlaws had all their skylights, north facing windows blown out and holes punched through the roof by some of the hail.

Quite a magnificent storm.

I recall that one of our Palm Talkers is located in Nebraska, and I hope such PTer didn't encounter the hail shown below.

Yike.

Mommy.

BpOvO_KIMAEih0s.jpg

eesh.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Funkthulhu, you okay?

Type a few syllables . . .

Ow, my head. . .

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Ow, my head. . .

Funkthulhu, had a coworker drive right into it yesterday. And by the way, I will be in your town on June 16th-18th. Land late and leave early, so really only there on 17th. Local university is one game away from College Baseball World Series. UL Lafayette is a real Cindarella story team, too. If they make it and play that night, I may even try to make that game.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

We mostly just got a lot of rain in town, 5.5" at the airport in a few hours.

Northeast of town, my significant other's parents had their farm pelted with baseballs. Lost windows, probably the roof, and all the crop.

Northeast of town, my significant other's parents had their farm pelted with baseballs. Lost windows, probably the roof, and all the crop.

Yike, that's awful. The damage from large hail can be horrific.

We've had hail here in Cali, but nothing anywhere close to baseballs from heaven(hell). Garbanzo-sized hail was plenty bad enough. Marked up the palms very badly, though they did recover eventually.

Yike, that's awful. The damage from large hail can be horrific.

We've had hail here in Cali, but nothing anywhere close to baseballs from heaven(hell). Garbanzo-sized hail was plenty bad enough. Marked up the palms very badly, though they did recover eventually.

I don't think we broke any size records yesterday, but I did hear reports of Softball-sized hail in North Central Nebraska in the late afternoon before it started rolling toward Omaha.

Generally, we'll get pea to nickel-sized hail couple times each spring/summer and usually at least a few storms where we're looking for overhangs or fighting for garage space. I've been pretty lucky/careful, but I still have some dimples in the car from seasons past.

I did find it a little interesting how our weather likes to celebrate anniversaries. Twenty-Four years since the Night of the Twisters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Grand_Island_tornado_outbreak, though we didn't see nearly as many funnel-clouds. Mostly just Thunder-rama and some straight line gusts over 80 mph here and there.

Yeah, that stuff about breaking no size records is what's really scary.

Here's one from SD, that's 8" (20 cm) across.

Diameter.jpg

And, here's a blurb about big hail. Apparently, the guy who collected the big one above wanted to make daiquiris out of it. (I didn't think they drank daiquiris in SD . . . :) )

I HOPE that stays the record.

Here's the link:

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/worlds-largest-hailstones

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Nebraskans and others, any postscript to this?

Any more hellacious hail raining down?

I hear the worst hail is in India. Cantaloupe size. (I hope a small cantaloupe . . . . :bemused: )

Had some 86mph straight line winds back at my folks' place on Saturday. Dad spend all day father's day cutting up half a tree that fell across the driveway. I think our spring storms are starting to peter out. Rest of the summer we're likely to just see isolated events from random thunderstorms (and tornados of course).

I flew into twin tornadoes in the area tonight. I guess spring has not worn itself out quite yet.

I flew into twin tornadoes in the area tonight. I guess spring has not worn itself out quite yet.

Kinda remind me of Michael and Joe Andalucci, aged 3, back in 1966