• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wild Corypha in Cape York.

FNQ Marcus

We went on a little 4x4 trip up to Cape York (That's the Northern tropical tip of Queensland - Australia) and I thought I'd share a couple of pics of the Corypha we encountered. For the first time ever, even my girlfriend was impressed by a palm.

Both these photos were taken near Horseshoe Lagoon in the Lakefield National Park.

Once I've sorted through our 600+ photos, I'll put some Palmy pics in the "Travel Logs"

A forest of Corypha - all sizes

post-6760-0-80750600-1406112483_thumb.jp

This shows how much seed these palms can carry as the end draws near.

post-6760-0-54536900-1406112658_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

www.sheoakridge.com
Our private nature reserve in Far North Queensland, Australia.
Too much rain in the Wet season and not enough in the Dry. At least we never get frost.

Good shots Marcus, I have fond memories of these palms when I was a Police Officer stationed at Aurukun and Kowanyama back in the 1990's..............I am on acreage now and would love to get hold of one.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

I didn't see a single seed on the ground while I was there and I've never seen one for sale. So it might be a tough one to get hold of. The only one in my garden is from a seed found by a friend several years ago. Funny thing is there are heaps of seedlings in the wild even growing in the wheel marks on dirt tracks.

www.sheoakridge.com
Too much rain in the Wet season and not enough in the Dry. At least we never get frost.

Nice shots Marcus. That is a great part of the world. Those Corypha really do make a statement. Did you find the Livistona concinna in Lakefield NP as well?

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

:interesting:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

:bemused::yay::drool:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wow! Can't believe all that seed! Incredible!

Are there any Wodyetia habitats near by?

Edited by Mike in Nelson

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Impressive palms and pictures. I wish I could grow Corypha.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Corypha seeds turn up on Australian Ebay sometimes.

In Arnhem Land there are big stands of them not far from where I lived. Trouble is I didn't know they were there and never saw them. Only found out about them more recently.

And if you see the film 10 Canoes there's some fantastic footage of forests of them in the Arafura Swamps.

Loved the photos, especially of the seeds (which I thought was a tropical tree at first glance). Thanks Marcus.

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Daryl, I might have seen a L. concinna, but they all look the same to me, so to be honest I didn't pay much attention to the Livistonas - sorry.

Mike, Sorry we didn't go to Cape Melville to see the Wodyetia. It's about as common as the Golden Cane palm in gardens around here so I had no desire to see even more of them.

Did see and Yellow-billed Kingfisher though :yay:

www.sheoakridge.com