• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Holy grail Tree, Gigasiphon macrosiphon

Gtlevine

Gigasiphon macrosiphon from Tanzania is almost extinct. Only flowering tree outside Africa is Fosters Botanical Garden where seed usually is eaten by bugs or rots quickly, thus no new plants. I was fortunate to get one and it is blooming now. Flowers are a whopping 9" across and plant has big beautiful leaves that flush red.

post-151-0-81589300-1407514764_thumb.jpg

post-151-0-70059500-1407514783_thumb.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 9

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Thanks Rob.

Most people don't know this but I actually like tropical flowering much more than palms, so having such a rare tree actually flowering in my yard is epic for me. I will update with another photo when the other buds open on the tree. It is crazy to see these massive flowers on this small tree of mine which is only about 6 feet tall right now.

• Like 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Great going!!! Be sure to try and get some seeds from it! Never even heard of this one before. Purty!

Awesome flower. Congrats & thanks for sharing.

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I'm not a big flowering tree kind of person but I got to admit that one is most impressive. :greenthumb: Is it conducive to thriving with your rain fall or does it need supplemental irrigation ?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

That certainly is impressive.

How about picture of a person next to the tree for scale?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Have seen flowers off this species once, and have been looking for it since. Great pictures Gary.. Curious, How is your Hand Basin Oak looking this year??

-Nathan-

A little history about this plant for those interested. I bought this plant from Leon at XOTX in Hollywood in 2008. He only got a few to germinate and wanted a fortune for the few he sold. I was buying a few hundred dollars of plants so he agreed to sell me his last. I paid around $200 for a 4 in small band!! I grew it up in my greenhouse for a few years and planted it in 2010. For two years it just would not grow no matter what I did. Since no one I know had this plant in the ground I couldn't figure out if it was me or perhaps it is one of those trees like a Delonix that is just outside its comfort zone. So in 2012 I gave it to a guy that I know would have success. When Gary dug it up it had hardly any roots. So I doubt that particular planting would have lived here. Of course once at Gary's the thing grew. It is so awesome seeing rare plants end up in the right place for them to succeed and potentially distribute.

For a flowering tree collector, this really is one of the Holy Grails. It flushes beautiful new red growth, has a monster flower (related to Bauhinia as you can see in flower) and makes a beautiful tree when mature.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

A little history about this plant for those interested. I bought this plant from Leon at XOTX in Hollywood in 2008. He only got a few to germinate and wanted a fortune for the few he sold. I was buying a few hundred dollars of plants so he agreed to sell me his last. I paid around $200 for a 4 in small band!! I grew it up in my greenhouse for a few years and planted it in 2010. For two years it just would not grow no matter what I did. Since no one I know had this plant in the ground I couldn't figure out if it was me or perhaps it is one of those trees like a Delonix that is just outside its comfort zone. So in 2012 I gave it to a guy that I know would have success. When Gary dug it up it had hardly any roots. So I doubt that particular planting would have lived here. Of course once at Gary's the thing grew. It is so awesome seeing rare plants end up in the right place for them to succeed and potentially distribute.

For a flowering tree collector, this really is one of the Holy Grails. It flushes beautiful new red growth, has a monster flower (related to Bauhinia as you can see in flower) and makes a beautiful tree when mature.

Cool plant, cooler story.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I would like to add to what Len said. Len is a great friend so i of course appreciate him passing this plant off to me to give it a try. When i got it from Len i kept it in a pot for six months to re root it, then i planted it and it never looked back. After observing this plants growth habit and reading about it over the web, i believe this should be a hardy plant well suited to most of Southern California. It comes from Tanzania and Kenya at some elevation. I studied the weather maps and it appears to be climate only slightly warmer than so cal. It does not drop its leaves in the winter and begins growing early spring. Flowering is not delayed, matching the cycle in habitat. I believe it just did not like that particular spot Len had it planted. I will post a picture of the complete plant when more flowers open. I hope i can produce seed, it is unlikely we will be able to get any more of this species into cultivation. One more thing, i noticed the flowers have a nice scent as well.

Thanks again Len, and glad other enthusiast liked this tree as much as I do.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Have seen flowers off this species once, and have been looking for it since. Great pictures Gary.. Curious, How is your Hand Basin Oak looking this year??

-Nathan-

Yes, my Quercus tarahumara is awesome! Its about 20' now, but still no Acorns.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

I'm not a big flowering tree kind of person but I got to admit that one is most impressive. :greenthumb: Is it conducive to thriving with your rain fall or does it need supplemental irrigation ?

Moose it does need supplemental irrigation in the summer, but by no means a guzzler.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Hahaha What a small world... I believe I was WITH Len when he bought those back then...and I saw the struggle... fast forward to Wednesday I happened to be near enough Gary to stop for an impromptu visit... as we walked around I glanced over I saw that and thought to myself "that looks like a Gigasaphon".. never knowing the rarity or what had transpired since Len got it!

Good on you Gary and Len :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hahaha What a small world... I believe I was WITH Len when he bought those back then...and I saw the struggle... fast forward to Wednesday I happened to be near enough Gary to stop for an impromptu visit... as we walked around I glanced over I saw that and thought to myself "that looks like a Gigasaphon".. never knowing the rarity or what had transpired since Len got it!

Good on you Gary and Len :D

Yeah. You were on that trip to XOXT. I think you stated a thread about your Ficus soon after we got back.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Very cool, Gary. I got some cool stuff from Xotx, but nothing quite that impressive, or rare.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Is XOTX still around? Anyone buy anything from them lately?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Is XOTX still around? Anyone buy anything from them lately?

XOTX is still kicking, but I haven't been in there for some time. Leon recently returned from a trip to the Colombian highlands; made it out with plants and without bullet holes...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Very nice, glad to see yours flowering! I'm waiting for ours to flower. It is a slow grower. It was planted in spring of 2005. It survived the winter of 2009-10 with no damage. It is about 7ft tall now. I love the color on the new growth.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I have seen and admired that tree many times at Foster Gardens in HNL, but had no idea just how rare it is. Nice going!

• 7 months later...

Gary-

I FINALLY was able to get one seed from the tree at Foster's, introduced parakeets LOVE the seed and eat them all before they can mature. I was wondering how long it took the tree to get to blooming size. It is a beautiful tree in itself, the red emerging leaves are great.

David

• Like 1

david

• 2 years later...
On 8/8/2014, 9:22:30, Gtlevine said:

Gigasiphon macrosiphon from Tanzania is almost extinct. Only flowering tree outside Africa is Fosters Botanical Garden where seed usually is eaten by bugs or rots quickly, thus no new plants. I was fortunate to get one and it is blooming now. Flowers are a whopping 9" across and plant has big beautiful leaves that flush red.

post-151-0-81589300-1407514764_thumb.jpg

post-151-0-70059500-1407514783_thumb.jpg

Gtlevine: Do you have more recent pictures of your Gigasiphon? Would love to know how it's doing. 

I missed this topic before, so glad to see it now. I don't recall ever seeing even the word Gigasiphon! Beautiful flower and interesting story, thanks!

I was on the Miami Rare Flowering Tree Society website last night contemplating joining.

Just this morning I was also thinking that instead of a future PR palm tree society, I could start a PR tree club, to include those of us who embrace (sometimes literally for photos) all trees.  

Maybe topics and field trips here and afar and give aways to interest lovers of ornamental and fruit trees, as well as palms, could have a large enough membership to stay alive in small PR.

And maybe some of you would come and join in on a field trip? Sorry for the diversion caused by afternoon rain and free wi fi.

I too would enjoy an update about the Gigasiphon!

• Upvote 4

Cindy Adair

Maybe its the relation to such a common plant as Bauhinia, but it doesn't really do a whole lot for me. The flower looks like a plumeria and those don't do anything for me either... :hmm: 

2 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

I missed this topic before, so glad to see it now. I don't recall ever seeing even the word Gigasiphon! Beautiful flower and interesting story, thanks!

I was on the Miami Rare Flowering Tree Society website last night contemplating joining.

Just this morning I was also thinking that instead of a future PR palm tree society, I could start a PR tree club, to include those of us who embrace (sometimes literally for photos) all trees.  

Maybe topics and field trips here and afar and give aways to interest lovers of ornamental and fruit trees, as well as palms, could have a large enough membership to stay alive in small PR.

And maybe some of you would come and join in on a field trip? Sorry for the diversion caused by afternoon rain and free wi fi.

I too would enjoy an update about the Gigasiphon!

Cindy: IMHO there're never enough tree photos of high quality online, whether of tropical or temperate species. Just like some endangered palms, Gigasiphon is avoiding extinction where it grows naturally, due to deforestation and the consumption of seedlings by livestock. In the near future it may only survive in botanical gardens, perhaps someday at one in PR too? http://globaltrees.org/threatened-trees/trees/gigasiphon-macrosiphon/

On June 28, 2017 at 5:06:50 PM, Mandrew968 said:

Maybe its the relation to such a common plant as Bauhinia, but it doesn't really do a whole lot for me. The flower looks like a plumeria and those don't do anything for me either... :hmm: 

Growing up in cold Virginia both the many different Bauhinias and Plumerias are not boring to me. Now perhaps I have grown enough hollies and dogwoods.

I would be most happy to try to grow this rare endangered gigasiphon if one were to come my way. 

What a name, that sounds more like a dinosaur to me.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

10 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Growing up in cold Virginia both the many different Bauhinias and Plumerias are not boring to me. Now perhaps I have grown enough hollies and dogwoods.

I would be most happy to try to grow this rare endangered gigasiphon if one were to come my way. 

What a name, that sounds more like a dinosaur to me.

I hear you Cindy. Sounds like you understand Bauhinia is my kinda dogwood...

Here are my 3 Gigasiphon growing (Amherstia underneath)

Gigasiphon.thumb.jpg.824e1606d7bac5d9099

• Upvote 5

21 hours ago, Loxahatchee Adam said:

Here are my 3 Gigasiphon growing (Amherstia underneath)

Gigasiphon.thumb.jpg.824e1606d7bac5d9099

Awesome! Where did you get the seeds and/or plants of Gigasiphon? I understand they're next to impossible to find. 

• 2 years later...

Hello guys! Gigasiphon is one of my most wanted plants to see and grow.  Anyone knows where I can find mature trees of gigasiphon in east coast USA, probably Florida, so I can collect some seeds of it?  Or do you know any nursery which sells its seeds worldwide?  Plus the same about chiranthodendron and kokia drynarioides. Thank you. 

Edited by Plantsman05
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I first became aware of this species while visiting Foster Gardens in 2004 where I met a retired 86 y. o. Belgian monk that was looking for the tree.  He said that he'd spent most of his career in Africa collecting plant specimens for the University of Leiden and had come to Hawaii just to see this tree.  He believed it to be the last one in to exist but I've since learned that there are others in botanical gardens around the world as well as a few remaining in the wild.

We usually visit HI in early summer and I could never find any seeds as the seed pods were always decimated by birds but we went in mid November of last year and was rewarded with four seeds.  Three germinated and I'm anxiously waiting for them to get big enough to move them from starter pots to something more long-term.  The first one popped out of the soil about a month ago but it's been slow.  I've never had a sprout take so long to just stand up.

This photo was taken this morning.

DDD2644C-ED5F-4E9B-AD63-4692E5849339_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, 300LW said:

I first became aware of this species while visiting Foster Gardens in 2004 where I met a retired 86 y. o. Belgian monk that was looking for the tree.  He said that he'd spent most of his career in Africa collecting plant specimens for the University of Leiden and had come to Hawaii just to see this tree.  He believed it to be the last one in to exist but I've since learned that there are others in botanical gardens around the world as well as a few remaining in the wild.

We usually visit HI in early summer and I could never find any seeds as the seed pods were always decimated by birds but we went in mid November of last year and was rewarded with four seeds.  Three germinated and I'm anxiously waiting for them to get big enough to move them from starter pots to something more long-term.  The first one popped out of the soil about a month ago but it's been slow.  I've never had a sprout take so long to just stand up.

This photo was taken this morning.

Thats pretty amazing you were able to find seeds. Its notoriously difficult to propagate that tree because of the stupid indian ring necked parakeets that eat all the seeds in Honolulu. Thats why they aren't more common here even though the tree flowers heavily. A few years ago they tried putting wire cages around it but not sure what happened with that.

• Like 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 3 months later...

9EC9163D-1F17-44E3-BC1B-3191F35FC676_1_105_c.jpeg.6bac03a7d0bf3300397c485f37210707.jpeg

Two saplings still alive but no new growth for the past month or so.  Any care recommendations such as light and moisture requirements or preferred pH?

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

increible 😳 enhorabuena a todos los que tenéis la suerte de tener esa joya ,yo seguiré esperando a que hayan semillas a la venta .para cuando las tenga que temperaturas mínimas os ha soportado?

• Like 1

From one online source about the temperature minimum requirements for growing Gigasiphon macrosiphon: USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F) and USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

De una fuente en línea sobre los requisitos mínimos de temperatura para el cultivo de macrosifón Gigasifón: USDA Zona 10b: a 1.7 ° C (35 ° F) y USDA Zona 11: por encima de 4.5 ° C (40 ° F)

• Like 2