• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bauhnia grevei & Bauhinia madagascariensis, 2 similar red flowering specimens from Madagascar

Eric in Orlando

Bauhinia grevei and Bauhinia madagascariensis are 2 large shrubs/small trees from the drier regions of western Madagascar. They look very similar and both are flowering right now. Bauhinia madagascariensis has slightly larger flowers and leaves.

This is Bauhinia grevei. The seed was sown in Nov. 2011 and this specimen was planted in summer 2013.

2014-08-11004_zps58b498c1.jpg

2014-08-11003_zps56dcc032.jpg

2014-08-11006_zps10ce4709.jpg

2014-08-11009_zpse8e5430f.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

This is Bauhinia madagascariensis. It has been a super fast grower. Seed was sown in Feb. 2013 and this specimen was planted this May, 2014.

2014-08-11012_zps432ef2c9.jpg

2014-08-11010_zpsa8bb0268.jpg

2014-08-11013_zps48bad3d4.jpg

2014-08-11017_zps060f613a.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here they are side by side, B. grevei on the left and B. madagascariensis on the right

2014-08-11019_zpscee61e8c.jpg

Another side by side comparision with the common Bauhinia galpinii (punctata)

2014-08-11020_zps31501c52.jpg

Bauhinia galpinii

2014-08-11022_zps008c4355.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Nice. Decidedly closely-related. I'd expect one to be listed as variety or subspecies of the other before long...

Are either of them Red Listed?

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

That is a really pretty galpinii! Most are this shade of orange, which is nice enough but that one just glows.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Very nice! Me likee.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Nice. Decidedly closely-related. I'd expect one to be listed as variety or subspecies of the other before long...

Are either of them Red Listed?

I don't think either is.

Seed came from RPS.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Really nice Eric; I just saw photos of a salmon coloured Bauhinia with similar flowers from Madagascar.

San Fernando Valley, California

• 6 years later...

Eric, I'm quite happy you posted this topic. I had picked up a few of these in South Florida within the last year or so, and realized that one of the plants had an innately different, and smaller leaf, while the flower was seemingly identical. Have these continued to perform well for you?