• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cocos Nucifera IN DURBAN, ZA !!!

DeletedAccount14e83d09a24f

Cocos Nucifera in Durban, ZA !!! (South Africa)

It's full of Roystoneas, Archontophoenix, Syagrus... on Durban. If you take a Google Street View tour in Durban, you will be surprised like me to see al those tropical palm trees growing inside. Is like the south of Florida, it's very very tropical.

But I don't know why I am impressed because on the warmest month Durban get about 30-22 and in the coolest month Durban gets 23-11 so if even gets 11-12 at night (like in Palm Bay, FL) at days get 22-23 and it gets a lot of precipitations all of the year; (winter is the driest season but it's still warmer than the autumn for example in Valencia, Spain :floor: ) so it can be suitable for a Cocos Nucifera.

But this is the first coconut i've seen in Durban. And is big and old!!! Even in Palm Bay, FL I've seen a couple of healthy coconuts and a couple of dead coconuts. But none was that big that this one !

That's definitely an Cocos Nucifera.

lffut.jpg

look it even has some coconuts almost ripe!

Edited by pRoeZa*
  • Upvote 1

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

Lovely photos, thank you so much for posting these. Brought back many memories

Peachy

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Lovely photos, thank you so much for posting these. Brought back many memories

Peachy

:winkie:

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 

looks like its holding fruit too

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

• 1 month later...

But it's a coconut, right? Or it's any kind of howea or archontophoenix that seems a lot to a coconut?

From here it appears to be a coconut and that thing what is holding, appears to be coconuts. Anyone with more experience than me can say if it's a coconut or not ?

Because i'm reading this: http://www.mahala.co.za/reality/dying-in-paradise/

And all of the photos I can find are very old, older than this article. Are they really dead? Only a few survived?? Someone from Durban or from ZA can say if they're still alive?? Google Street View is old too, only 2009 and 2010 photos. A lot that were big and healthy from 2009 disappeared from 2010 images, meaning that they were dead or something and they removed them. The article is from 2011.

Durban-Beach-Front-2014-Kierran-Allen-Ph

This photo is from 2013 but look at the health:

sam_0181.jpg

Another photo from 2011:

beach-new.jpg

Quite decent too, at least they're surviving because they look to be adult ones. But, I was referring to that because seeing those ones from the article... :( :

Dying-in-Paradise.jpg

IMG_8587.jpg

For that i'm asking now if that's a coconut or not. Maybe being in a private garden, and looking at the other palms from that house I think that the owner is a palm lover; it got the necessary care and needings when the palm was young, and when it becomes as big as that we all know that they're a lot more hardy. But... what happened to all of those near the beach ? Almost all weren't very young nor small palms... Anyone from South Africa or a traveler can confirm their actual health status? :( It's a real pity!

Edited by pRoeZa*
  • Upvote 1

Durban would be at the Cocos growing limit?

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

The link which you posted above explains what happened to those Coconut palms...

They were transplanted as mature palms in 2010 to 'tart up' the area for the World Cup, over 400 were planted & the contractors were initially paid to look after them after transplant (watering etc..) but soon after the end of the World Cup the palms were left to their own devices & so were no longer watered/fed & because they were fairly recently transplanted many of them died...

What a waste & probably a very expensive waste too :bemused:

• Upvote 2

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

• 3 years later...

Coco palm (Cocos nucifera) grows quite readily here in Durban,South Africa.I would imagine this would be the southern limit of this palm on the african continent.With the high humidity experienced mainly in the summer months due to a warm subtropical climate they experience medium growth rates and fruit setting as opposed to coco palms found further north in Mozambique and neighbouring countries closer to the equator in africa which flourish.I think they dont appreciate the relative dry air experienced here (during winter mostly) which causes drying out of leaf tips almost seeming scorched.Ive also observed they grow better when partially shaded (by buildings,other trees) from the northern sun and closer to a source of water (like a few specimens within private property) ive sprouted a few nuts to plant soon although they do take their time it seems haha,the palms mentioned in the comments above have mostly died - as previously stated they were planted in a hurry and without proper maintenance.Along the Marine parade (near the Durban harbour) there are coco palms that could be at least 60 + years growing and dropping nuts that is,when the city council doesn’t remove them for safety reasons #Best wishes from South Africa 

Edited by Jarred
Added info
  • Upvote 7

16 hours ago, Jarred said:

Coco palm (Cocos nucifera) grows quite readily here in Durban,South Africa.I would imagine this would be the southern limit of this palm on the african continent.With the high humidity experienced mainly in the summer months due to a warm subtropical climate they experience medium growth rates and fruit setting as opposed to coco palms found further north in Mozambique and neighbouring countries closer to the equator in africa which flourish.I think they dont appreciate the relative dry air experienced here (during winter mostly) which causes drying out of leaf tips almost seeming scorched.Ive also observed they grow better when partially shaded (by buildings,other trees) from the northern sun and closer to a source of water (like a few specimens within private property) ive sprouted a few nuts to plant soon although they do take their time it seems haha,the palms mentioned in the comments above have mostly died - as previously stated they were planted in a hurry and without proper maintenance.Along the Marine parade (near the Durban harbour) there are coco palms that could be at least 60 + years growing and dropping nuts that is,when the city council doesn’t remove them for safety reasons #Best wishes from South Africa 

Welcome to Palmtalk.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Jarrad,

Port Elizabeth has been stated to be a location in South Africa where Cocos nucifera has been successfully cultivated. If this was true, Port Elizabeth would constitute the furthest southern point from the equator in the world capable of successfully growing the Coconut palm. Do you believe this to be possible or do you not believe it to be likely?

What you look for is what is looking

It might be possible. Port Elizabeth is in the Eastern Cape which is moderated by the warm Agulhas Current that comes from the Indian Ocean. In contrast, the current that runs off the coast of Cape Town is much colder and certainly prohibits Cocos.

Cocos grow in Port Elizabeth but need a sheltered spot, still they never look really happy. In contrast, East London at 1 degree further North, 33 S, has some very nice coconuts. 

Hello Ty!

• Upvote 1

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Hi Bubba

i havent noticed any remarkable coco palms in Port Elizabeth however i believe they would survive there evidently,i dont think they would thrive.Ive seen coco palms here in Durban growing very well and producing massive nuts hence my analysis is that at least here in South africa the closer to the north you get (with higher humidity provided) they do better.The people of south asian descent (south african indian) cherish the coco palm as well as mango and banana which also do very well here in Durban hence seemingly most of the coco palms you’ll find nurtured are in indian residences.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, PalmsZA said:

Cocos grow in Port Elizabeth but need a sheltered spot, still they never look really happy. In contrast, East London at 1 degree further North, 33 S, has some very nice coconuts. 

Hello Ty!

Great to hear from you again PalmsZA. I was wondering how you were going there in subtropical Durban. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

PalmsZA and Jarred,

A picture of a Coconut palm in Port Elizabeth would be evidence of the furthest cultivated Coconut palm from the Equator in the world. This would be true even if it were cultivated in a sheltered spot and even if it did not appear happy. If you ever travel to Port Elizabeth keep this in mind and provide a picture. Many on this Board would be grateful! Best!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, bubba said:

PalmsZA and Jarred,

A picture of a Coconut palm in Port Elizabeth would be evidence of the furthest cultivated Coconut palm from the Equator in the world. This would be true even if it were cultivated in a sheltered spot and even if it did not appear happy. If you ever travel to Port Elizabeth keep this in mind and provide a picture. Many on this Board would be grateful! Best!

I shall make this a quest indeed ^_^ 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jarred said:

I shall make this a quest indeed ^_^ 

Jarred,

Welcome to Palmtalk.  And yes, we would certainly be grateful for more pics and info on South African Coconut Palms, especially ones growing in Port Elizabeth!

John

Hi Everyone 

I just got accepted on this forum today. Here are more pics of Durban Cocos nucifera growing on Victoria Embankment in Dbn. 

F64F8E51-EDD1-4B7B-B5E7-8F90DFF3DF6E.jpeg

528D79A3-BF1F-47BA-B3D5-B7FF640695B4.jpeg

• Upvote 7

Durban also has a Lodoicea maldivica that is I n a hothouse that has been growing through the roof for years now. Top right of the picture the petioles are visible. The leaves are outside. 

F01D2E5B-FEBE-4809-940D-1139AD65DAB6.jpeg

Hello Ty!

Still going stong here Ty. Moved a few times and started another palm garden about 6 years ago. 600 odd m's above sea level but still growing nice palms haha. Or trying to. 

Bubba. I used to live in PE but i have no idea where pics I took of the Cocos there are now. Been too long. 

Hi Marius! You in Durbs?

• Upvote 1

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

PalmsZA,

Appreciate your information. I believe coconuts grow in PE. We just need the proof. Those in Durban look sensational!

• Upvote 1

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018‎ ‎8‎:‎09‎:‎58‎, Marius said:

Hi Everyone 

I just got accepted on this forum today. Here are more pics of Durban Cocos nucifera growing on Victoria Embankment in Dbn. 

Marius,

Welcome to the forum!  WOW!  Those are GORGEOUS AND HUGE Coconut Palms, especially for ones that far from the Equator!

John

• Upvote 1

On 9/4/2018, 6:09:58, Marius said:

Hi Everyone 

Welcome! And yes. These are the king of palms, to be sure!  Nothing comes truly close. 

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Port Elizabeth, SA

June 2018: High 88.1F Low 52.9F Avg 64.9F

July 2018: H 87.8F L 46.4F A 66.1F

Aug. 2018: H 85.7F L 48.9F A 63F

These are PE’s numbers for what constitutes December, January and February respectively. These numbers certainly compare well to our northern hemisphere climates growing Cocos nucifera (RGV, Orlando, La Quinta...). Why not PE?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 4:32:45, bubba said:

PalmsZA,

Appreciate your information. I believe coconuts grow in PE. We just need the proof. Those in Durban look sensational!

I'm happy to see this old threat went alive again. :D

I am also waiting for a Port Elizabeth coconut pic for more than a decade, for me it still remains a street legend. :lol: But Durban definetly has some giant, impressive coconuts. When I made this thread I didn't know about palms as much as I do now, but I was sure that was a giant coconut in Durban!