• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Aiphanes Horrida Flowering

Gary -

Hi guys, I rescued two very neglected Aiphanes Horrida from the old Bali Gardens Nursery in Thornlands about 12 months ago. As the nursery was closing down, these and other plants had been left to survive on their own for a long time.

They were growing under a dense canopy and fighting for light and water, the trunks are quite thin and the crown and leaves shrunk to almost nothing.

So i dug them out and transplanted them into my garden. Not a fun palm to transplant, but they survived and are constantly growing new leaves. There is now about seven foot of trunk. One plant is also starting to flower. Maybe i will get some good seed?

post-6684-0-96469700-1422144938_thumb.jp

post-6684-0-13258600-1422144979_thumb.jp

Very beautiful palms, especially for ones left on their own devices for a while and transplanted afterwards!

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Very cool to hear you saved such a nice specimen. Not everyone would take the challenge of digging a palm like that.

Gary, hopefully they will fruit for you......they are beautiful. Bright red and look like cherries.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

that palm look very deadly.. I hope you wore gloves? Glad to hear it went to a good home

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Hi guys, I rescued two very neglected Aiphanes Horrida from the old Bali Gardens Nursery in Thornlands about 12 months ago. As the nursery was closing down, these and other plants had been left to survive on their own for a long time.

They were growing under a dense canopy and fighting for light and water, the trunks are quite thin and the crown and leaves shrunk to almost nothing.

So i dug them out and transplanted them into my garden. Not a fun palm to transplant, but they survived and are constantly growing new leaves. There is now about seven foot of trunk. One plant is also starting to flower. Maybe i will get some good seed?

attachicon.gifDSC01348 (719x1280).jpg

attachicon.gifDSC01350 (719x1280).jpg

Great score Gary , glad to see you saved them , many people would have left them being so spiny . I also have A . Horrida which have seeded for the first time .post-10505-0-19180900-1422248474_thumb.jpost-10505-0-35153100-1422248588_thumb.j

Thanks guys,

I am surprised how tough these are. I just popped them out of the loose ground with a heavy duty pitch fork and stuck them in the ground. I do keep them quite wet though.

As for the spines, well i got hit a few times during the process. But i have found them to be more lethal now than before.

About a month ago i was pulling off a stuck leaf base from a nearby palm and it came off easier than expected, the momentum impaled my hand on the trunk of the Aiphanes!! Not a good palm to back-hand! I got about six big spines in my hand... there was blood.... My wife just laughed and said " I told you not to plant them!" Where's the sympathy?!?!?

Cheers, Gary

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks guys,

About a month ago i was pulling off a stuck leaf base from a nearby palm and it came off easier than expected, the momentum impaled my hand on the trunk of the Aiphanes!! Not a good palm to back-hand! I got about six big spines in my hand... there was blood.... My wife just laughed and said " I told yo

not to plant them!" Where's the sympathy?!?!?

Cheers, Gary[/quote

Sounds like you like your palms like you like your women.....cruel .....lol

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil