• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zamia Skinneri and Neurophyllida

Gary -

I have a few tropical Zamia, and really like the large leaf plants. Pretty rare around here so please feel free to post yours.

First up is Z. Neurophyllida

post-6684-0-98765300-1423563591_thumb.jp post-6684-0-36669400-1423563605_thumb.jp

post-6684-0-35077200-1423563646_thumb.jp post-6684-0-83873000-1423563663_thumb.jp

Choice looking cycads there Gary :greenthumb:

I will weed this part of the gardens 2morrow n get better pics but till then heres a small coning female Skinnerii, glad to see you have a male to "donate" some pollen :)

post-5709-0-30377400-1423566292_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-41788300-1423566337_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-49207700-1423566503_thumb.jp

Wow - very nice Gary, seeing your recent posts it looks like you have a interesting group of Zamia. They are my favorite of all the cycads mostly due to their smaller size which suites the limited space I can provide in Moose Land. Have a few Ceratozamia they on average can get larger then the Zamia. When looking at Whitelock's book, I really fell in love with the Macrozamia of the parazamia section (smaller cycads like the Zamia). Alas, Jody Haynes told me the parazamia do not appreciate our climatic conditions here in South Florida.

You are fortunate as you can probably grow parazamia along with the Zamia.

:greenthumb:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I love these! This is my favorite group of cycads. I have a female cone on my Zamia skinneri that I hand pollinated this past summer, it's swelled up so I'm hoping there will be a few good seeds inside.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I got myself 3 skinneri and am gambling on getting one pair at least, or jackpot 2 females and one male. :)

Thanks Pete, nice to see they can survive in the ground in these parts of the world. I will get mine in the ground once i can provide adequate shade and shelter from the wind.

I have one known male and two female plants, so i will have to see if i can get some seed going. They are supposed to be pretty easy to pollinate?

Thanks Moose, the Zamia family do make good fillers, and not bad looking too!!

Nice Jeff and Tropic, post a pic if you can, i have not seen a ripe cone yet...

Planted this neuro 3 months ago ..

post-354-0-79326200-1423899969_thumb.jpg

slight bleaching from recent heatwaves and still settling in , but should look great with a bit more landscaping

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

• 2 weeks later...

Zamia imperialis has the broadest leaflets, but Z. hamannii has some very large leaflets as well. As far as overall size of plant, it is a tossup between Z. hamannii and Z. skinneri (the mainland, green-emergent form). Zamia imperialis doesn't tend to have a large trunking caudex, but the leaves will get very long, especially in shade.

Moose, I think the Parazamia issue here in south Florida is more soil pH related than anything. Since you have a regular pH-reducing fertilization regimen, you might try a couple and see what happens.

• 1 month later...

Good show Pedro

I am about ready to try the Z standelyi out here in Jax --- other is too tropical for this

• 8 months later...

This is the one I have. It seems they want to grow longer than their fronds can handle, torque-wise, but I have little experience. This is one of my two "Jody" cycads(have a couple nasophilla). Very cool plants.

20151207_160539.jpg

20151207_160528.jpg