• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Roy Stone, namesake of Roystonea

Dave-Vero

I was at Arlington National Cemetery just south of Arlington House (the Custis-Lee family mansion that was seized during the Civil War) and noticed a couple of tall obelisks. The one closest to the path turned out to be Roy Stone's monument. He was a hero at Gettysburg, had problems later in the war, and, remarkably, was involved in the war on Spain in which its colonies were seized, in Puerto Rico.

In the tradition of Washingtonia, Bismarckia, and perhaps Copernicia, the current genus name for royal palms is a tribute to Stone.

post-275-0-30212600-1429631002_thumb.jpg

post-275-0-42469000-1429631007_thumb.jpg

post-275-0-84706600-1429631011_thumb.jpg

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I knew he was a civil engineer but did not know he was a part of the civil war, nor did I know about his obelisk-very interesting. I believe he was a palm lover too; if he did not take an interest in them it's not likely he would have been honored so... makes me want to research his legacy even more-thanks for the spark!

Here he is.

He was a part of the "Good Roads Movement" which advocated good roads paid for by the government for everyone's benefit. Which was a part of his legacy as a civil engineer. He also fought at Gettysburg.

Roy_Stone.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Reading up on him further, there really isn't much about his love of palms, however towards the end of his career (while working in Puerto Rico) he was noted for his affinity for the island and its agriculture. Later after his death, the palms were named after him-I believe partly as the trunks were architectural...

Cool story that I have never read. Thanks for posting.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The genus was named by O.F. Cook in 1900. It was a footnote in an article on botanical nomenclature.

"*A new genus Roystonea is proposed, differing from Oreodoxa in the solitary growth, the double spathe and other characters. The type is R. regia (HBK), Nov. Gen. et Sp. 1: 305, originally described from Cuba."

At last I know whose grave to vandalise the next time my damned royal drops one of its 3 tonne leaves in my driveway and I have to pay to get it dragged away. During my early days of PT I was appalled by how many locals around here were getting lovely big royals removed. Was I ever such an innocent ?

Peachy, pres., sec, and founding member of the I Hate Roystoneas Soc.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

cool story!! who would da thunk??

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Dave, Great information. After being forced to fight in all those stupid wars, great to know that he rounded it out in PR with an inspiring project. I am not certain how Peachy could dislike the Royal (I think she is pulling our leg!). I hope she does not dislike Copernicia fallensis.

What you look for is what is looking

Thanks for the info Dave. :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

post-275-0-15132900-1430178250_thumb.jpg

I have Archontophoenix and Carpentaria in the yard rather than royals. Their leaves are big enough.

Royals are everywhere. Here, National Taiwan University