• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Copernicia curtissii- what a great looking palm

Eric in Orlando

Copernicia curtissii is a Cuban palm I don't see much talk about. I saw these at Fairchild yesterday way out in the lowlands. What a great smaller palm, it almost has the look of a Pritchardia. Are these ever available ?

2015-04-23%20059.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I want one !!

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

I've had a clumping form growing in my garden since 2000. It had some leaf burn in 2010 but has otherwise been unaffected by our cold snaps. It is very slow growing and still only about 5 feet tall.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I am waiting for the revision on Copernicia, by Mr. Craft, to see if it holds up as a species. But yes, I have them...

Fairchild should sell some seed from the looks of it....do they ever sell seed? to individuals? or brokers?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I have them for sale at my nursery in Loxahatchee. The don't look like the ones in the foto, Paul Craft says thats what they are.

I have one plant in the ground that is clumping and is very blue.It has been seeding for several years and currently has nothing to hybridize with,

so the seedlings are pure! The mother plant came from the Isle of Pines.I collected six seeds and one grew.

Dale F. Holton

Mapu, can you post a pic?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

This species could be found many years ago at palm sales. The C. baileyana, fallensis, macroglossa, hospita and rigida were the ones everyone were after. So this is an uncommon palm to be found, a collector's palm. With the proliferation of Copernicia at Fairchild,i would be suspect of all their seed has been cross pollinated.

Mr. Holton would have self pollinated seed due it being isolated. The Copernicia curtissii at his nursery may be some of but a very few available anywhere.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Its gorgeous as are all Copernicias, but they take a million years to grow. :crying:

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Next time I come down there I will try to seek one out.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

According to Riffle, Craft and Zona's "Encyclopedia of Cultivated Palms", it sounds like it is a variable palm. They say it grows as a solitary or clustering palm and that there is a silver form (from inland savannah areas) and a green form (coastal regions). It is native in the western part of Pinar del Rio, Cuba and the Isle of Youth.

Looking at Kew's entry for it, a synonym is Copernicia hospita var. clarensis.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here is a picture of my Copernicia curtissii.

Dale

Dale, that is an awesome form of it !!!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I have grown this palm before too but sold it long ago. I see some in a garden down here near Homestead that have flowered profusely this year. I was "sure" they were not what the owner called them... "green hospita"... but I could not get a name to match it. Now I think I might call them curtissii. They have relatively fat trunks but the owner fertilizes heavily so that explains that. I have seen seasons where a species (all of them in town) blooms profusely. The ones I'm speaking of have so many flowers they look alien! :rage:

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Now I want a single green form and a silver suckering form!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here is a picture of my Copernicia curtissii.

Dale

Dale, killer palm with great color :drool:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24