• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Miamiensis

Briank

I picked up a couple of Rare Sabal Seedlings the other day.  After some research, there seems to be a possibility this could be Sabal Etonia or Hybrid of? Not sure, but the curved leafs got my attention.. If anyone has any info or experience with this type of Sabal, would love to hear.  I purchased as a 1GA, but when they sent to me, the roots were very healthy and  I had to put into a 5GA! Score! lol..  I now have Sabal Blackburniana, Sabal Bermudana, and Sabal Uresana to go with this. Cant wait to watch them grow.  Enjoy the pics.

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0223.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

Hey Brian, 

I like to think of S. miamiensis as a big S. etonia, but I do think that there may be different genetics between the two species.  Also, I'm not sure if S. miamensis is an officially recognized species.  S. miamiensis is reported to me much larger, and from what I remember, has different orders of branching.  There's a ton of confusion within the genus.

There is some information on this species, but not a lot. Looks like it is not a verified species, but looks like maybe it's a Palmetto that has originated from Miami and surrounding areas of Florida.  I'm exited to see if the Frawns and leafs become curved, or up right.  Only found 1-2 pics, and from what I have found its a Drawf species.  Interesting stuff.  If i find any interesting articles, will attach for a read.  

It was once considered a separate species but recently was lumped with Sabal etonia. But some people have problems with that move and I am one of them. I have both species and see many differences. S. e. comes from north central FL, which is a long way from the small population of S.m. on far southeastern FL. S.m. is supposedly extinct in the wild after its tiny habitat was developed. For me, S.m. is robust and healthy but my two S.e. are anemic and small, one poised on the brink of death no matter what I do to help it along. I've decided this species can't tolerate my awful alkaline, sandy soil. My S.m. has a bluish tint to its extremely costapalmate leaves; S.e. is green and its leaves flatter. Only DNA studies will settle the dispute but for now l'm still in the camp of two separate species.

Sabal etonia 6-16-15

Sabal_etonia_01_6-16-15.thumb.JPG.ff5172

Sabal miamiensis 7-10-15

Sabal_miamiensis_01_7-10-15.thumb.JPG.c2

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thank you very much for you input and experience.  Knew there had to be people out there, especially in Florida that has experience growing this species.  Looks quite a bit different.  I will keep others apprised of my growth of these 2 5ga Sabals I have.  The roots are quite large for such a 3ga approx seedlings lol. 

It was once considered a separate species but recently was lumped with Sabal etonia. But some people have problems with that move and I am one of them. I have both species and see many differences. S. e. comes from north central FL, which is a long way from the small population of S.m. on far southeastern FL. S.m. is supposedly extinct in the wild after its tiny habitat was developed. For me, S.m. is robust and healthy but my two S.e. are anemic and small, one poised on the brink of death no matter what I do to help it along. I've decided this species can't tolerate my awful alkaline, sandy soil. My S.m. has a bluish tint to its extremely costapalmate leaves; S.e. is green and its leaves flatter. Only DNA studies will settle the dispute but for now l'm still in the camp of two separate species.

Sabal etonia 6-16-15

Sabal miamiensis 7-10-15

Meg, I cant wait until mine look like yours How old is yours?

I agree they are more robust.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Sabal etonia 6-16-15

Sabal miamiensis 7-10-15

Josh, it was given to me in May 2008 by a generous local palm lover. It was in a cone and had 1-2 strap leaves. I potted it but over the winter languished and looked like it was dying. I was in despair because it was so rare and difficult to locate. In spring 2009, however, it sprouted a new growing point and grew like gangbusters - for a Sabal, that is. I can't remember exactly when I planted it but I'll guess 2010 in the corner of my Caribbean Garden. I guess it is about 8 years old from germination. Not sure how long you'll have to wait in your cooler, drier climate.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Sabal etonia 6-16-15

Sabal miamiensis 7-10-15

Josh, it was given to me in May 2008 by a generous local palm lover. It was in a cone and had 1-2 strap leaves. I potted it but over the winter languished and looked like it was dying. I was in despair because it was so rare and difficult to locate. In spring 2009, however, it sprouted a new growing point and grew like gangbusters - for a Sabal, that is. I can't remember exactly when I planted it but I'll guess 2010 in the corner of my Caribbean Garden. I guess it is about 8 years old from germination. Not sure how long you'll have to wait in your cooler, drier climate.

thanks for the info Meg. I cant wait for mine to look like yours. Nicely done :) 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my small one. I think it's 6 or 7 years old from seed, but it was in a 3 gallon pot until last spring. 

IMG_4442.jpg

• Upvote 2

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)