• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Madagascar hike to see Satranala in habitat

Cindy Adair

There were only a few of us who ventured on this one day outing at Ile. Sainte Marie, Madagascar.

The day before there was a crowd for a multi hour adventure. It will surely be the subject for another thread from someone.

Thus understandably many decided to lay low at the resort the following day. 

My plan when traveling is "if in doubt say yes" to any hikes. 

We start with an uneventful boat ride landing on this lovely beach.DSCN9328.thumb.jpg.4408eaac187c6482aaaa4 Uneventful was OK since our transportation the previous day was memorable.

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

I loved these Ravenea sambiranensis! I was especially interested since I had planted three on my farm a few months earlier. DSCN9347.thumb.jpg.52088511f375ed836abd0DSCN9354.thumb.jpg.4aeeea9cdeb7292b60d70

• Upvote 5

Cindy Adair

Many interesting non palms made the walk even more interesting.

This was a well traveled path for residents daily lives.DSCN9378.thumb.jpg.a2e0896193829cfe8e94fDSCN9396.thumb.jpg.83ade183a7d19ad76a699 

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

I took these photos of a Dypsis lastelliana primarily to show the seedlings growing in the crownshaft.

DSCN9342.jpg

DSCN9343.jpg

• Upvote 6

Cindy Adair

Before we got to the reserve itself we passed villagers drying spices such as pepper, cloves and allspice) on homemade mats in front of their house. 

I wanted to bring one of these mats (for the same purpose) to Puerto Rico, but it would not have fit in the carry on only bag I chose for this trip. DSCN9400.thumb.jpg.8d9e1b00a312209d1cc11

• Upvote 3

Cindy Adair

I spotted this chamaeleon by accident when I couldn't resist playing with a sensitive plant and almost touched this creature next to it.

DSCN9444.thumb.jpg.da4c73f626b046246c1ba

I easily resisted touching this snake. I am told no poisonous snakes in Madagascar.

DSCN9477.thumb.jpg.45dc6b66f84bac7db7cde

• Upvote 3

Cindy Adair

Lunch was delicious and then we enjoyed a quick tour of the charming botanical garden there. More photos of that DSCN9488.thumb.jpg.21d4ab212d92b72b6474bfor later.DSCN9490.thumb.jpg.48f82360a88442b2884c3

DSCN9523.jpg

• Upvote 4

Cindy Adair

oh my gaaah id love to do that hike someday. very interesting pictures all around, and the way you framed the Satranala is fantastic.

I almost forgot this beautiful Dypsis (from the Satranala reserve) whose name I forgot. 

DSCN9422.thumb.jpg.305f28eef89d4a0883833

Too soon our boat awaited to return to the lodge. And this was just one day's adventure!

DSCN9524.jpg

• Upvote 3

Cindy Adair

12 minutes ago, Mandrew968 said:

So cool! The Attalea are Raphia I believe.

Yes! Thanks for the correction!

Cindy Adair

Great day trip - enjoyed it very much - thanks for taking us along!

Will probably come back and take the trip again - although I'll skip the slide where you had to ford the stream - don't want to get my feet wet.

gmp

5 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Many huge Attaleas lined the road. Oh, please chime in to correct any of my identifications! 

DSCN9371.jpg

Cindy,

I love your pictures, especially taking pictures of the wildlife and group shots of the attendees. And btw, the palm in question is Raphia farinifera. A widespread species up and down the eastern coast.

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Cindy,

Great pictures, and that environment where the Satranalas grow would seem to be quite different from Masoala National Park, where we saw them under fairly heavy canopy. And we saw lots of them (and I assume you did too when you visited?).

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Cindy, wow, keep posting for the love of sanity and humanity.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Fantastic photos, many thanks!  I am reliving experiences I didn't even have. :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Really good pictures, Cindy. I think the unknown palm is Dypsis sanctamariae. Dypsis paludosa is somewhat similar, but I think this one is sanctamariae.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Thank you so much for all your comments and help with identification! Worth all the 22 (yes, 22) flights I took that month to make the three week plus trip a reality!

Cindy Adair

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎28‎:‎07‎, Cindy Adair said:

I almost forgot this beautiful Dypsis (from the Satranala reserve) whose name I forgot. 

DSCN9422.thumb.jpg.305f28eef89d4a0883833

Too soon our boat awaited to return to the lodge. And this was just one day's adventure!

DSCN9524.jpg

Cindy and Mike,

I'm pretty certain that this palm is NOT Dypsis sanctaemariae. As far as it's ID, maybe John D. could come on and share his thoughts. If you own the Handbook, Field Guide to the Palms of Madagascar, go to page 100 and you'll see a good picture of the upright habit of growth with the leaves and the lack of a petiole. Taken on Sainte Marie.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

10 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Cindy and Mike,

I'm pretty certain that this palm is NOT Dypsis sanctaemariae. As far as it's ID, maybe John D. could come on and share his thoughts. If you own the Handbook, Field Guide to the Palms of Madagascar, go to page 100 and you'll see a good picture of the upright habit of growth with the leaves and the lack of a petiole. Taken on Sainte Marie.

Thanks Jeff, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif