• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

1 year of growth of Pritchardia pacifica

Zeeth

This palm is at Kopsick, but I'm not sure what year it went into the ground (definitely after 2010 though). These pictures are a little more than a year apart, which shows how fast this palm can be, even in Central Florida. 

IMG_3278.thumb.JPG.d3d331c105d9f71eb2098

IMG_4554.thumb.JPG.b6484a204fd0c513ca661

• Upvote 4

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

This may be the most cold tender of the Pritchardias. Of course a large robust specimen will be a bit hardier? The trick would be to get one big enough fast enough. Unless you have an exceptional micro clime, this may be a bit of a zone push for central Florida. Mine got pretty beaten up in the 2010 winter.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Keith,

Thank you for giving us an update on this exciting palm.  In St. Pete no less!  That will not be there forever, but we might have it around to enjoy for 5-10 more years.  I wonder if full-sized mature specimens are substantially more cold hardy?

Did you score any coconuts?  :D

21 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Keith,

Thank you for giving us an update on this exciting palm.  In St. Pete no less!  That will not be there forever, but we might have it around to enjoy for 5-10 more years.  I wonder if full-sized mature specimens are substantially more cold hardy?

Did you score any coconuts?  :D

I have seen a couple Pritchardia pacifica that are 20-25 years old in Coral Gables that have been seeding for years. They are close to the business district (down town) where there is lots of concrete that may hold some heat. I've harvested seed but none have germinated. My fortay is not germination so it is probably something that I'm doing wrong.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Thanks for the comments guys! I'd say this palm is definitely living between the freezes, so we'll see how long it stays! Kopsick is in one of the best spots in Central Florida though, so it may make it for quite some time. It grows so fast that it's not a big loss if it dies and has to be replanted. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

• 6 years later...
On 12/20/2015 at 8:42 PM, Zeeth said:

Thanks for the comments guys! I'd say this palm is definitely living between the freezes, so we'll see how long it stays! Kopsick is in one of the best spots in Central Florida though, so it may make it for quite some time. It grows so fast that it's not a big loss if it dies and has to be replanted. 

Any updates on this palm?

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

21 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

That looks great, and for St. Pete, and just after winter in March. It's presumably been there for about 7 years now....and this is a very cold tender palm. I assume it doesn't get cold protection....it should be planted more in warm parts of Florida.

I was discouraged when I wanted to plant one, but mine has survived two winters and many nights (perhaps around 10 nights in total each winter) in the low to mid 40s) and it is doing fine as well. I think some people just timed their plantings wrong with the nightmare of 2010...but even if these palms only last 20 years on the mainland of Florida, they are worth it IMO!

• Like 2