• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

issues w Mediterranean Fan Palm

tstex

Hello to All,

My first post on this forum.  Thank you in advance for your help.

We have a total of 4 Med Fan Palms: 2 in the front yard, both doing great, and 2 in the back yard, one doing great and the other is why I'm posting here.

The two in the back are planted in the same soil and receive the same amts of water [irrigation or rain] sun & fertilizer. However, one of them has brown tips on almost all of the leaves except the brand new fronds. The healthy one also has other fronds growing out of the ground right next to the trunk, The one w the brown tips does not. Neither of the ones in the front have any brown tips either.  The one in question has healthy new fronds growing from the center.  Then, the farther you go down. the more issues are visible.  All of the fronds except the new growth have brown tips. about 1.5" - 2", then the middle growth has some dark marks while the lowest growth has some dark marks, but also yellowing from the middle of the leaves to the brown tips.  The healthy one 15 ft away has none of the issues and is all green.  The Sylvester Date Palm in between both of these had some lower dying fronds, but that was due to lack of water.  Since watered appropriately, lots of new fresh green fronds emerging w no issues.  All of the palms in the back were planted in May 2015.  We live in West Houston.  All of the palms in the front [queen palms, Mediterranean fan palms and Sago Palms are all doing great [been there from 7-10 yrs]

Can someone pls tell me what is going on  w the Med- Fan Palm in the back and what I can do to treat the palm? If you have any questions, pls let me know.

Thank you very much and Merry Christmas to all,

tstex

Some photos might help. I would imagine the brown tips would either be some cold damage or maybe root rot? Some Med fan palms produce suckers at the base and some don't so that is not a cause for concern. Don't water into the crown of the palm, just at the base and grubs in the soil might also cause the brown tips. Just some possible ideas.

Regards Neil

Thanks Neil...

Here's a pic.

Since the palms have been planted, no freezing temps yet, and this was a problem when it was hot.  Temp's do not seem to have an influence, as of yet.

They are always watered from the base, except a few times misted at the top when low humidity.  But, what was done to one was done to the other, but diff physical appearances. 

My wife's dad was born and raised in Sidney, she lived there till 10 yrs old.  Looking forward to my first visit to the "Land down under".

Thanks again, tstex

med-fan-palm.jpeg

Edited by tstex

I would cut right back on the watering especially if the soil is cold. Your palm should be established by now and these palms are very drought tolerant. They like it dry and hot so no need to worry about low humidity and misting. Give the trunk a wobble to check it is firmly rooted in the ground and not loose due to root damage.

Regards Neil

I tested the stability of both palm trunks,,,the healthier one is more stable, but this one when pushed does not wobble or is it near wobbiing..it moves some but is still stabilized.

Should I aerate it w a pitch fork to help alleviate any moisture and also spray [in a pump-up sprayer, not the hose] it w a systemic fungicide both on the leaves and the ground? 

Thanks again, tstex 

If it appears to have issues where new fronds emerge from the growing point, pour hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) into that center area. You can buy it at any drug or grocery store. H2O2 attacks dead/diseased tissue, disinfects but leaves healthy tissue alone.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks.

So far, all the new tissue of the emerging fronds are all green, healthy & show no signs of being diseased or problematic.  

For human tissue, H2O2 used to be recommended as a good dosenfectant.  But, it has now been classified as more caustic to new or newly forming cells.  However, have no clue on plant cells

Thank you, tstex 

I don't see something lethally wrong going on, which is good. They are all pretty fresh in the ground, so they are all adapting. The only thing I would do is check the planting height. Dig around the trunk with your fingers and find the root initiation zone. When you find the uppermost roots, that about where the soil level should be. If any of them is buried deeper, remove the soil above that area. I am suspecting the one with the brown edges is buried deeper than it would like.

i would also make sure to leave the upper soil layer to dry up a bit now and then, just as a precaution against rot. But for the most part, keep them moist, especially since you are in a very dry area and they are recent transplants. Fertilize with a complete, slow release organic fertilizer to make sure they are not missing any nutrient

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Thanks Kostas.

Is the root iniation zone where any roots appear (short hair like) or are we looking for the longer lateral roots?  

Next, since we are in an El Niño, we are receiving some good rains.   Last week we had 2-2.5".  At one point in the Summer, we had an 8-10" rain.  The palms, hibiscus, foxtail ferns & ginger plants are all a bit elevated (4-8") than normal grd level, so the water tends to leach from these areas to the normal level, which where the drainage systems carry all excess water to the front street.  My irrigation system has been off the last 2+ months.

When I get back hm, I'll ck those root systems per your reply.

Thanks again, tstex

The root initiation zone starts where the thick, cord-like roots emerge from the trunk. Aim for it to be right below the soil surface but not buried more than a couple cm. 

Happy growing!

-Konstantinos 

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Kostas,

Been away for awhile.  I dug around the top of the palm and it was surely w/in 1" or less of [wet] soil I started to see off-white roots that came off the trunk, went about an inch, then turned downward.  Also, about a foot or so, there were other really thin-dark roots that seemed to be real close to the surface.  Didn't see any vitality to them like I did the roots close and coming off the trunk.  These thinner roots were perpendicular to truck or moving away from truck.

Let me know if this provides you any additional insight or if I need to take anymore pics?  We are cooler here now and expecting pretty low temps [33-36] next week, and maybe 1 - 1.5" of rain tonight.

Again, thanks and I appreciate everyone's follow-up.  This is a great site w a lot of insightful inquiries.

Regards, tstex