• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rain Falling on Palms

Kim

Rain falling on palms in the Moku Garden.

L-R Satakentia liukiuensis, Clinostigma samoense, Bentinckia condapanna.  Clinostigma were planted as 2-3 ft. tall entire-leaf babies May, 2011.  Others planted March 2012, all fairly small pots.

DSC_0189.thumb.jpg.8e90cf51b68194c269253

Metroxylon amicarum planted July 7, 2011 from a 1-gal pot

DSC_0192.thumb.jpg.243083e5daed318aa70f5DSC_0193.thumb.jpg.fa51ac4e0004032b93376

Dypsis hovomantsina, one of 3 planted July 10, 2014

DSC_0196.thumb.jpg.958765438a373cec4fa7eDSC_0198.thumb.jpg.e747240d3763fbcf8487f

Dypsis lastelliana, planted May 28, 2011

DSC_0200.jpg

• Upvote 9

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Rain!

What a lovely idea . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Bentinckia condapanna love

DSC_0203.thumb.jpg.dd3c14e1eaf176af913f1DSC_0205.thumb.jpg.c846ae07e19ec8dd546a8

the back path

DSC_0217.thumb.jpg.427479f07ad1e8d346c2a

One of five Pelagodoxa henryana

DSC_0229.thumb.jpg.43f6d3674b9860bc97daa

• Upvote 7

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Pinanga curranii and the mottled leaf

DSC_0234.thumb.jpg.7ecf2c8f091b9cfe5dc4bDSC_0236.thumb.jpg.c1a0e267240d3a8e54e7b

Calyptrocalyx pachystachys with a new red leaf

DSC_0243.thumb.jpg.bb5beb3092273ca815e2c

Verschaffeltia splendida and her spines

DSC_0244.thumb.jpg.5d0a79a10ed5a27a865d0DSC_0245.thumb.jpg.4c3455b1ea1cec56eee10

Ptychococcus paradoxus shooting the moon

DSC_0246.thumb.jpg.31b612944652c1c09cea2

• Upvote 8

Kim Cyr

Largest of five Phoenicophorium borsigianum, most wickedly spiny of my palms

DSC_0250.thumb.jpg.166bb470f8037b1db8143

The Cyrtostachys renda hedge intended to someday hide the fencing

DSC_0255.thumb.jpg.390d5cae36d213e009089

Yes, Areca vestiaria 'maroon' and an abundance of readily germinating seed

DSC_0264.thumb.jpg.3a3f206536cfd4ae7b394DSC_0271.thumb.jpg.47b02c4117155d1c056ac

Frond of Welfia regia in front of Marojejya darianii; Areca catechu dwarf

DSC_0284.thumb.jpg.1796e21c3aedaf0147ed5DSC_0289.thumb.jpg.5bfed135fec87175c5bf6

• Upvote 9

Kim Cyr

Wow that's a nice umbrella.

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Queen Tahina spectabilis holding court

DSC_0295.thumb.jpg.bbeab8ff953b48bea6204

On the smaller end of the spectrum, two views of Licuala mattanensis 'mapu' dug out of the weeds

DSC_0310.thumb.jpg.39c5d0827a917e8805833

DSC_0314.thumb.jpg.0090905e05d4484dc99c5

Wide view of 3 Lemurophoenix halleuxii, mere tots compared to what I saw in Masoala NP in their home in Madagascar

DSC_0318.thumb.jpg.68030295465cbb7713488

Unaltered photo of the largest with the vivid red spike, and standing back, umbrella for scale (yes, again)

DSC_0328.thumb.jpg.67c30fa66d0279381221b

DSC_0325.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 10

Kim Cyr

Ornamental ginger has exploded over the last 4 months

DSC_0329.thumb.jpg.9d5f4bb5c90dcfa3d36a0

Licuala peltata var. sumawongii have finally recovered from past storms, no longer so tattered and worn

DSC_0336.thumb.jpg.c353ac49e320612bb9c67

Loxococcus rupicola (one of three) surprised me with inflorescence

DSC_0342.thumb.jpg.f68daa6ebbf17fb7e3b4aDSC_0343.thumb.jpg.f1b19d1fabff233a88d34

Driveway lined with five Neoveitchia storckii, the street view of the Moku Garden

DSC_0344.thumb.jpg.064ced75143441258eab1

Licuala ramsayi and Dypsis carlsmithii snuggled along the property line

DSC_0350.thumb.jpg.1a26fa75aa502703cc804

...and the sun came out! :)

*Note:  I have been unable to do any weeding at all -- what you see is how it looks after 4 months of neglect, save for digging out the Licuala mattanensis 'mapu' from the maile pilau, and with some last-minute mowing and weedwhacking done by neighbors Dave & Greg before my arrival.  1.75" of rain over the last 24 hours.

• Upvote 10

Kim Cyr

I'm very envious of your growth.  Everything is growing much faster at your place than mine.  You'll have to teach me your secrets!

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Lovely scenes Kim...Gives me inspiration for my next garden!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

The Queen and her subjects seem quite content and happy.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

11 hours ago, Kim said:

the back path

This is just about perfect. The garden, the palms, the image.

Thanks Kim, this made my morning for today. :)

• Upvote 1

Kim, i would not mind to have a few months of neglect if my yard looked like yours. I'll have years if thats the result.

It took me several minutes to recover after that series. Absolutely stunning!!

Agreed with Pando - that particular one stands out; its picture perfect.

18 hours ago, Kim said:

Kim, this photo stirs something deep inside me. Incredible shot, congrats on creating such a beautiful setting.

23 hours ago, Kim said:

the back path

As everybody can see, Kim has had some spectacular growth on just about all her palms, a result of the environment here (=plenty of rain) in combination with skillful placement of all the palms so that they can enjoy the maximum benefits of sun and rain, which is different for different species. Something that's not so obvious is the amazing transformation from untamed, close to impregnable jungle to the artfully designed landscape today. My photo below tells a very small part of the story. It was taken in very close to the same spot that the photo above was taken. My photo was taken 4.5 years ago - on May 31, 2011, to be exact. And yes, the pathetic scrawny little palms are the same Clinostigma samoense that now look so beautiful and majestic above. :)

2011-05-31 010.JPG

• Upvote 3

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Kim your garden has really taken off. So lush and green,just beautiful!

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Absolutely beautiful!

Since I have started my little garden over here - those minutes, right after the rain has stopped, are always the best!

Thank you for the pictures!

Kim, your garden is looking very nice.......growing up. That photo of the path is wonderful.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

DREAMSCAPE!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Dreamscape, yes.  Funny how quickly time passes.  This property made my dreams real almost exactly six years ago, and there has been plenty of palm dreaming in those six years.  In fact, it never ends.  Made a recent visit to Floribunda, and it was really tough to keep myself from loading up the truck again. (Next time, next time!)  In many ways, it has grown to be as I imagined it, other aspects were a complete surprise, and some ideas morphed into other ideas over time.  It is an ever-changing canvas.  Yeah, rustic lava rock walls would be nice!  Maybe someday.

Some things that worked out well -- spacing palms much farther apart than I was used to seeing in California.  Things grow so fast here, it could quickly become a solid canopy overhead, and obscure all sight lines.  I know some people like the dense jungle look, but I like some patches of sky overhead, and open areas with a view, too.  Mistakes -- leaving certain areas natural and very rough.  Yes, it looks good when the weeds are under control, but keeping it neat in an area with ankle-twisting holes and very uneven terrain is difficult, even dangerous.  I have some smoothing-over to do.

Happy that you all enjoyed the photos!

Kim Cyr

Kim!

Great garden, and don't be afraid to load up the truck!

On 12/29/2015, 7:37:39, bgl said:

As everybody can see, Kim has had some spectacular growth on just about all her palms, a result of the environment here (=plenty of rain) in combination with skillful placement of all the palms so that they can enjoy the maximum benefits of sun and rain, which is different for different species. Something that's not so obvious is the amazing transformation from untamed, close to impregnable jungle to the artfully designed landscape today. My photo below tells a very small part of the story. It was taken in very close to the same spot that the photo above was taken. My photo was taken 4.5 years ago - on May 31, 2011, to be exact. And yes, the pathetic scrawny little palms are the same Clinostigma samoense that now look so beautiful and majestic above. :)

2011-05-31 010.JPG

Bo!

That is one of the most spectacular "before and afters" I've ever seen, almost like a zygote followed by winning the Nobel Prize! :o

all I have to say is wow!!!

nicely done KIM:greenthumb::greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 3 months later...

Thanks for sharing the pictures Kim.  I really enjoy looking at what can be done with proper planning and placement of plants.  I really love the look of the Clinostigma samoense  I think I'm going to have to put them on the list of palms I would like to get.  When you clear that area of trees did they also Rip the soil?  Or did they just scrape the top?

Hi Kevin, I have never wanted the land to be ripped.  I have always liked the natural undulations of the lava.  But pushing over big trees with a backhoe will do a certain amount of rearranging, no matter what.  The logs stacked along the property line are now turning to soil, the dead ohi'a trees being slowest to decompose.  Maybe I should have ripped the area -- I have stepped on lava bubbles that broke through underfoot, and it makes for a bloody mess, especially if wearing slippahs.

And Clinostigma, yes, a really wonderful palm, but harder to find these days, and mine have not produced seed yet.  I wouldn't mind growing a few more -- they are fast, and just about perfect in every way.

Just thought I'd mention here -- any of you going to the Sarawak-Singapore Biennial in June, the IPS will hold its first ever Silent Auction at the Welcome Banquet, and this private home will be up for bid for 5 nights of exclusive use, along with a gift card to Kaleo's restaurant in Pahoa, a welcome basket of goodies, and possibly a tour of some excellent private garden (TBA).  I have never rented out my house, nor do I plan to, but the lucky buyer will get five nights and days of wandering the garden and the rest of the island.

Kim Cyr

OMG!

I missed this post while I was in the jungle mountain last december, so far from internet.

Gladly I saw it today.

Many thanks to Kim and to Palmtalk Forum, I am sure we'll find other jewels with the search engine.

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Wait, wait, wait! Are you telling me that it has RAINED (!) in Leailani Estates!!??

The Palms look beautiful. We will be there the first week in May. Perhaps we will see you or Bo then. Take care, I hope I don't have many Albizias to pull up!

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.