• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Naturalization in North America

Jimbean

What species could be naturalized realistically in any given location (Texas, Florida, California, etc.).  Particularly species already native to North America (i.e. washingtonia robusta in south Texas).

• Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

I would go about it by looking at each limiting factor in isolation first, and then over lay all of them onto a map.  Next, I would look at each species individual requirements. 

Brevard County, Fl

What are the limiting factors? 

1.) daytime heating

2.) record lows

3.) water/humidity

4.) growth rate (faster growing species naturalize more easily)

5.) soil nutrition

Am I missing anything else?

Brevard County, Fl

AHS+Plant-Heat+Zone+Map.jpg

112210-004-CAA67432.jpg
now take a map and mark all known record lows.  Next, subtract any slow growing species.  The slower growing the species, the more likely that it requires a specific habitat.

Edited by Jimbean
  • Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

I think Sabal minor and Rhapidophyllum hystrix could be naturalized throughout much of zone 7/8 in the eastern U.S., they'll get the heat and moisture they require, maybe not as much they're accustomed to, but enough to keep them looking healthy in most cases.

I don't see why we don't see too many cold hardier strains of certain palms, yet other types of trees and plants can come with all sorts of adaptations. Southern magnolias in zone 5/6? Why no zone 7 Sabal palmettos, or moisture tolerant W. filiferas?

3 hours ago, cm05 said:

I don't see why we don't see too many cold hardier strains of certain palms, yet other types of trees and plants can come with all sorts of adaptations. Southern magnolias in zone 5/6? Why no zone 7 Sabal palmettos, or moisture tolerant W. filiferas?

That I think is a very good question. 

Brevard County, Fl

Well, there are cold hardier variations of Sabal minor, but Rhapidophyllum is I think too slow growing to develop cultivars, it is possible though.  Sabal palmettos should certainly be doable. 

Brevard County, Fl

Here, the big limiting factor is availability of water, and a long cool season.

That said, I'll bet things like Sabals could naturalize along streams in the desert.

Phoenix canariensis have naturalized here, as have Braheas. Syagrus romanzoffianum has semi-naturalized along creeks in RIverside, at least they had back in the 1980s.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, Jimbean said:

I would assume the two species of washingtonia should grow well there too.

They don't need to be naturalized in California though, as they are native to the California Floristic Province.  Technically, as well, at least some Brahea don't need to be naturalized in California as they are also native to the province.  Maybe there are others I'm not thinking of already native to the province as well?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Sabal Mexicana that anecdotally from early explorers used to be widely present as far north as river courses in central Texas appears to be reestablishing itself especially in the Austin Area. My hypothesis is that it froze out in central Texas down to the Rio Grande Valley at the tail end of the Little Ice Age but is now is coming back with warming temperatures.

Ed in Houston

3 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

They don't need to be naturalized in California though, as they are native to the California Floristic Province.  Technically, as well, at least some Brahea don't need to be naturalized in California as they are also native to the province.  Maybe there are others I'm not thinking of already native to the province as well?

This includes species already naturalized or that can be planted and not be taken care of.  In California, Washingtonia filifera makes a great candidate as it is already wild in a few locations.

Brevard County, Fl

3 hours ago, Ed in Houston said:

Sabal Mexicana that anecdotally from early explorers used to be widely present as far north as river courses in central Texas appears to be reestablishing itself especially in the Austin Area. My hypothesis is that it froze out in central Texas down to the Rio Grande Valley at the tail end of the Little Ice Age but is now is coming back with warming temperatures.

Ed in Houston

Record lows I suppose change over time.  Sabal Mexicana looks like an excellent candidate for naturalization. 

Brevard County, Fl

3 hours ago, Jimbean said:

Well, there are cold hardier variations of Sabal minor, but Rhapidophyllum is I think too slow growing to develop cultivars, it is possible though.  Sabal palmettos should certainly be doable. 

Rhapidophyllum is native from Hardee County, FL all the way north to Bibb County, AL (and several other counties at similar latitudes).  Those Central Alabama provenances should be more cold-hardy than those from any part of Florida.  Sure, they are slow, but S. minor isn't exactly a speed demon!  S. palmetto from Bald Head Island, NC have shown to be more cold-hardy than Florida natives, but are also slower growing.  There are plenty of suitable habitats further north of their native range (talking S. minor and Rhapidophyllum) that shouldn't make it a problem for them to naturalize there.

Always wondered why Washingtonia won't naturalize in Florida. 

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

3 hours ago, Jimbean said:

I'm surprised Rhapidophyllum does not grow naturally in Louisiana.  

I'd be willing to bet that it is somewhere in LA.  Rhapidophyllum is in Amite County, MS, just north of LA.  Bet you could find it somewhere along the border in LA.

For my area it would be butia. These are the most planted feather palm here on the Carolina coast & there are millions of them. The tree rats & other rodents take the dropped fruit & carry them off. I find them growing in the woods all the time...

I suppose palms from Patagonia do well in the Southeast.  I see queen palms naturalizing around my area.

Brevard County, Fl

Waiting for the Queens to become naturalized here. Seeds are everywhere and the landscapers are having more and more to discard every year. Waiting for a guerrilla planting somewhere around here soon.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

8 minutes ago, John Case said:

Waiting for the Queens to become naturalized here. Seeds are everywhere and the landscapers are having more and more to discard every year. Waiting for a guerrilla planting somewhere around here soon.....

I was thinking of guerrilla planting a Queen multiple in your yard, John. :D

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

That would be a trick.......I had a thought for your hole in the front yard, though...Trithrinax schizophylla.....perfect!

Or maybe T. acnthocoma......

• Upvote 1

John Case

Brentwood CA

haha, that's funny!  Guerrilla planting of queens, that's hilarious.

Edited by Jimbean

Brevard County, Fl

1 minute ago, Jimbean said:

haha, that's funny!  Guerrilla planting a queens, that's hilarious.

Either that or someone needs to come up with a recipe for S. romanozoffalalalalala pie.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

I have a number of queens in the neighbor's yard to the rear of my property....can't wait until these rat bastids start dropping seeds into my cycads (to be planted this year).

John Case

Brentwood CA

3 hours ago, John Case said:

Either that or someone needs to come up with a recipe for S. romanozoffalalalalala pie.....

I would give you a truckload if you are willing to pay for shipping.

Brevard County, Fl

Just now, Jimbean said:

I would give you a truckload if you are willing to pay for shipping.

I might pay more for you to keep them.....

John Case

Brentwood CA