• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

To cut or not to cut?

Hammer

My little Dypsis psamophila has been hospitalized.  A few month ago I saw evidence of rot as leaves started to dry out.  In one to the two trunks I discovered a soft spot that encompassed the entire circumference. So cut it off I did.

The main trunk was still solid and appeared healthy. 

However,  today as I was putting the pot out in prep for the rain, I noticed a soft spot on it.  The rot is back.

See the photos attached. Any suggestions on whether or not to cut the spot out and if so, how aggressive should the surgeon (me) be?  Any suggested tips or tricks would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Pic 1 is the whole palm.

Pic 2 is the soft spot above the point where I cut the other trunk.

Pic 3 the opposite side of the trunk. Solid and healthy...for now.

20160104_090058.jpg

20160104_090120.jpg

20160104_090130.jpg

I think that guy is dead. Looks like rot is in the base. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

So in other words...cut away and if it by some miracle survives...it's a bonus?!

Len, (anyone else too) how in the world does rot get in the base like that.  I was religious about keeping water out of the crown, which is far away from the base anyway. It had no visible injuries nor access points for fungus or bacteria to get that deep into the plant. How in the heck does it happen? 

I'm wondering because this seems to be a reoccurring theme in my garden.  Lost way too many palms to this stupid base rot.

Maybe you are too eager to remove old leaf bases?  I have found out the hard way that it is much better to leave leaf bases until they drop off.  You can of course cut the petiole when it is dead no problem.

When you cut I think you will find the rot at least 1/3 the way in and close to reaching the growing point. Doubt you can save it. Too far along.

I would agree with Rich as that is the number 1 way to cause this problem. I learned my lesson years ago but still every once in a while make the mistake. "Well, just a little tug to get that last bit won't hurt". It does. I just lost a cool Dypsis malcomberi hybrid last week cause of this. And I know better. But my desire for overly-tidy palms gets the best of me at times. 

The other thing might be the mulch. I never use mulch in pots. I want the top layer to dry out quickly and not hold a lot of moisture. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Yup. I lost a rare Dypsis laffa to this sort of thing. All it took was one premature leaf pull - the copious white powder underneath was irresistible. 6 weeks later it just shriveled up within a week and gave in to the Doom.

Here's an autopsy of the cadaver. You can clearly see where the rot started eating its way through.

y5WvXMf.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback guys.  Mulch, yep.  Definitely a possible vector.  Pulling dead leaf bases...I don't specifically remember doing it but it is a real possibility as well.  Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot.

Thanks again.

I'd say pour copious amounts of hydrogen peroxide into the crown and around the base and hope for the best. Looks like the damage has already been done to the base of the trunk so even if it starts growing again, it would probably look crooked.

6 hours ago, Pando said:

I'd say pour copious amounts of hydrogen peroxide into the crown and around the base and hope for the best. Looks like the damage has already been done to the base of the trunk so even if it starts growing again, it would probably look crooked.

Yeah but if it makes it, think about the cool story! Plus ALL the money I will save not buying a new one.  Ha ha!

18 hours ago, Hammer said:

My little Dypsis psamophila has been hospitalized.  A few month ago I saw evidence of rot as leaves started to dry out.  In one to the two trunks I discovered a soft spot that encompassed the entire circumference. So cut it off I did.

The main trunk was still solid and appeared healthy. 

However,  today as I was putting the pot out in prep for the rain, I noticed a soft spot on it.  The rot is back.

See the photos attached. Any suggestions on whether or not to cut the spot out and if so, how aggressive should the surgeon (me) be?  Any suggested tips or tricks would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Pic 1 is the whole palm.

Pic 2 is the soft spot above the point where I cut the other trunk.

Pic 3 the opposite side of the trunk. Solid and healthy...for now.

20160104_090058.jpg

20160104_090120.jpg

20160104_090130.jpg

:( 

500full.jpg

Carl

Vista, CA

17 hours ago, Pando said:

Yup. I lost a rare Dypsis laffa to this sort of thing. All it took was one premature leaf pull - the copious white powder underneath was irresistible. 6 weeks later it just shriveled up within a week and gave in to the Doom.

Here's an autopsy of the cadaver. You can clearly see where the rot started eating its way through.

y5WvXMf.jpg

Did your  cadaver smell??

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

So I cut...

The wet look is from copper fungicide I sprayed.

The growth point is rotted. We'll see if it sprouts a new stem out the side.  But I doubt it.

20160106_143914.jpg

Fine example of why I tend to try to keep my palms on the dry side and not touch them much...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Yep.  This experience as well as how well some of my mound/bed planted palms are doing also speak strongly toward your philosophy on planting palms high and mounding dirt around them. You know what you are doing Bill.  

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Soooo...I'm thinking this puppy is looking better.  Might just make it!:badday:

20160113_170408.jpg

Well and truly on the way to recovery. 

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

2 hours ago, Hammer said:

Soooo...I'm thinking this puppy is looking better.  Might just make it!:badday:

20160113_170408.jpg

Get it in the ground. It will grow way faster. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

OUCH! :(

Sometimes it happens . . . .

I've killed some lovely palms!

And, some lovely palms have lived!

come see the garden and behold the living . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.