• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What are you planting this year?

Palm crazy

I spent this holiday weekend planting a lot of new exotics in the garden. Here’s a list on what I planted so far. 

Dichelostemma ida- maia… already starting to regrow.
Desfontainia spinosa… looks like a holly shrub but has bright candy corn flowers.
Tropaeolum tuberous var. lineamaculatum ‘Ken Aslet’….blooms in the fall with bright orange flowers, climber. 
Caultey cathcartii  …small shade loving ginger yellow flower with bright red stems
Caultey spicata ‘Robusra’ …another shade loving ginger like the one above but taller.
Hedycium densiflorum  …taller growing ginger with bright orange flowers.
Grevillea victoriae…. nice winter-spring blooming variety. Hardy to z7, wow! 
Alstroemeria isabellana… a hybrid that looks really cool, already starting to grow.

Also planted some common flowering plants like Erysimum ‘winter orchid’…wallflower, plus Alcea rosea ‘chatter’s double purple’ and some Geum ‘queen of orange’. 

Anyone else adding anything new this year. What are your plans for adding something new?

• Upvote 1

I'm getting into Schefflera.  Trying arbicola, taiwaniana, delavayi...and even threw an actinophylla in the ground for fun, which is doing well so far.  I just hope some of these guys do as well here as they do up your neck of the woods.  Citrus and evergreen fruit trees are another new obsession, as are Michelia (champaca and alba.)  

It's always something!  ;)

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I can't wait for March, I've got a lot of things I'm excited to plant. I've got a 7 gallon Mule Palm I'll be putting in my front yard, an African Rhino Horn banana tree that I'm hoping will fruit after a couple years even though it will die back each winter in my climate, an Alocasia Borneo Giant, and I might go ahead and plant a few of my small Windmills since they won't have any problem with our winters. But i'm really looking forward to seeing how my potted plants will do once they get some heat and humidity this spring and summer. I've got a bunch of Phoenix Sylvestris, a Wodyetia Bifurcata, a Roystonea Regia, a Brahea Armata, a few Phoenix Roebelinii, a Livistona Chilensis, and four Dypsis Decaryi. It's been a lot of work bringing them inside on freezing nights this winter but it will be well worth it in just a few weeks.

The photo is all of them besides the Phoenix Sylvestris.

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Hey Ben, I’ve got a few of those plants. You’ll have no problem growing the Schefflera, I have S. delavayi and it very hardy.  Love my Michelia too. 

Austin, you have some nice palms and plants to go out this year. Won’t be long till we’ll be out of the killing faze of winter.

You’re really going for it on some of those palms, LOL!

Austin - word of advice - be careful how much sun you put those palms in once it warms up.  You'll need to adjust them gradually to hot sun, though the fact you are putting them out now when it is warm will surely help.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

gonna plant my new black stem :greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

2 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Austin - word of advice - be careful how much sun you put those palms in once it warms up.  You'll need to adjust them gradually to hot sun, though the fact you are putting them out now when it is warm will surely help.

Yeah I'm going to be extra careful with the Chlorophytum Fireflash Lilies. They would roast in our full sun so I'm going to have to find somewhere that gets almost complete shade to plant them. However they're outside almost every day now, I just bring everything in when it's forecast to be in the 30's or lower(like tonight, we're going to be as low as 24F) and this is the perfect time of the year for them to gradually get used to the sun.

Palms- wise? i'm pretty much set. Potting up a ton of seedlings germinated in 2015 will fill alot of  time and space. There is always room however if Coperincia fallaensis or Hemithrinax seed somehow is available this year.( one can hope ) On the other hand......

Moving to Phoenix in March is going to open some interesting opportunities to acquire additional rare/ obscure stuff i have long desired to work with. While some of the smaller Agaves, additional Echinopsis hybrids, and other obvious "desert" stuff are a given, hoping to finally have access to Ipomoea arborescens seed/small plants, as well as other semi-tropicals from Baja and southern Sonora Mex. Some of that stuff includes:

Hintonia latifolia- looks alot like Portlandia from Cuba, same family.
Brongniartia alamosana and tenuifolia
Randia echinocarpa
Bauhinia pringlei
Pseudobombax palmeri
Bauhinia leaved Acacia
Lonchocarpus hermanii
More Bursera/ Mexican Ficus sp.
Senna atomaria and wislizenii
Jatropha cinerea
Merremia aurea

Also want to start a collection of Aril and Aril-bred Iris.. Crazy colored flowers and perfectly adapted to the desert.

Needless to say, some interesting acquisitions ahead.

3 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Palms- wise? i'm pretty much set. Potting up a ton of seedlings germinated in 2015 will fill alot of  time and space. There is always room however if Coperincia fallaensis or Hemithrinax seed somehow is available this year.( one can hope ) On the other hand......

Moving to Phoenix in March is going to open some interesting opportunities to acquire additional rare/ obscure stuff i have long desired to work with. While some of the smaller Agaves, additional Echinopsis hybrids, and other obvious "desert" stuff are a given, hoping to finally have access to Ipomoea arborescens seed/small plants, as well as other semi-tropicals from Baja and southern Sonora Mex. Some of that stuff includes:

Hintonia latifolia- looks alot like Portlandia from Cuba, same family.
Brongniartia alamosana and tenuifolia
Randia echinocarpa
Bauhinia pringlei
Pseudobombax palmeri
Bauhinia leaved Acacia
Lonchocarpus hermanii
More Bursera/ Mexican Ficus sp.
Senna atomaria and wislizenii
Jatropha cinerea
Merremia aurea

Also want to start a collection of Aril and Aril-bred Iris.. Crazy colored flowers and perfectly adapted to the desert.

Needless to say, some interesting acquisitions ahead.

Where in Phoenix? 

Just planted several flats of different Ice plant and Sedum rubrotinctum on some of the bare spots on the back hill.  Also hit the bargain plant shelf at big box and put in 3 ea. Cyathea cooperia at the bottom of the property in the growing vegetation barrier that includes established queens, newly planted 5 gal A. cunninghamia, and a giant bird of paradise that I split and moved last year.  This is to "hide" that ONE neighbor.....

If budget allows I should be planting many palms this year but for the next couple of weeks:

Hedycepes

Brahea Clara

Dypsis leptocheilos (2 ea.)

Phoenix sylvestris

Pritchardia remota(?)

Parajubea sunkja

I also have started seed trays with lettuce, cilantro, peppers (jalapenos, Serrano) and am thinking about tomatoes already.  I have a vine from last year that is still going.  Let's go spring!

Carl

Vista, CA

I just recently a couple of weeks ago planted a Jamaican Tall, a Maypan, and a Yellow Malayan Dwarf in this extremely mild winter we are having here in Corpus Christi (usually low end 10A winters at my place, but this winter, high end 10B).  I have plans in the next month or so of planting my Mexican Tall, Panama Tall, and a Maymex hybrid.  Later this year, if I can get big enough one, a Green variety of the Hawaiian Tall, also 2 Christmas Palms, a Ptychosperma elegans, a Lady Palm, some Chamaedoreas, a Caryota mitis, and a Pygmy Date Palm, and maybe a Med Fan Palm, if I can find room for it, and another Plumeria, if I can find room for it too.  I want to finish the front flower bed with a couple of Maui Red Ixoras and a couple of Crotons.  I need to plant my Aloes this year too, and a Pineapple I have, and some Dracaenas.

Haven't got too much going on (yet) just started a couple agave americana pups, that have already taken off during the winter.

I’m planting a chamaedorea plumosa this spring, it will have protection in winter with pop up greenhouse. This year I only want flowering plants, I already have enough palms. Got a few cactus…Old man cactus which is semi hardy and one of the blue column cacti, planted them last weekend. 

I recently moved so I'm planning to plant several palms in early March, but I live on a fairly small lot so I can't get too carried away unfortunately. 

1. 1-2 Royals. They aren't uncommon here and I'm pretty confident they'll make it long term.
  2. 1-2 Kings. It sounds like they should be fine here based on the feedback I've been getting.
  3. Possibly a coconut. I love coconuts, but I previously ruled them out because I know one wouldn't have survived in my area through the 2010 freezes. Walt's method of wrapping palms with EasyHeat has made me reconsider coconuts. 
  4. Possibly a hurricane based on the logic of #3.