• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

lodoicea maldivica collection

User00

Ahamed,

It seems there is a severe drought, I never saw Peradeniya lawn so dry and brown.
 I wish you good rains very soon.

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

• 1 month later...

Curious as to what they do with the seeds as they mature - any ever sold?

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

2 hours ago, Al in Kona said:

Curious as to what they do with the seeds as they mature - any ever sold?

they germinate seeds , plant more in their lodocia garden and various other garden around the country,and some in president palace garden,

but park staffs told me not all seeds germinate,

• Upvote 3

Ahamed, keep us apprized!

We're all crazy with envy.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

awesome pictures.

those are some very prized trees indeed.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 3 weeks later...

When will you see nuts falling on the floor? :)

Philippe

I have read about these palms growing to amazing heights... These seem to be relatively young for a Lodoicea. Are there any very tall ones around? How about a Champion? That would be incredible...

Right most tree of first pic and Male tree on 8th pic, 18th pic of thread  are nearly 40 feet tall , the fruiting tree supported by steel bars is 30+feet tall  

during british era 2 lodoicea seeds bought from Seychelles  in 1880s, luckily it grew  ad one male and  female tree, and their seeds germinated to establish this lodoicea avenue, this garden has nearly 40 trees and many other planted in other garden, presidential place and other  govement buildings. parent trees are now dead 

Edited by User00
  • Upvote 1

Fantastic!!  This is the only palm that I don't have that really gives me Palm envy (in a good way)!  Thanks for posting these beautiful pictures!

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

• 2 weeks later...
On 13 mai 2016 14:30:18, User00 said:

Right most tree of first pic and Male tree on 8th pic, 18th pic of thread  are nearly 40 feet tall , the fruiting tree supported by steel bars is 30+feet tall  

during british era 2 lodoicea seeds bought from Seychelles  in 1880s, luckily it grew  ad one male and  female tree, and their seeds germinated to establish this lodoicea avenue, this garden has nearly 40 trees and many other planted in other garden, presidential place and other  govement buildings. parent trees are now dead 

Ahamed,

If I remember well what I read in Macmillan's book, the male was planted in Peradeniya (in 1906, Macmillan writes it is 55 years old), the female in Henarathgoda (in 1925, Macmillan writes the male is 72 years old and the female is 34 years old), the avenue in Peradeniya started from seeds put directly the soil (sown in situ) in 1903. 
These two older plants disappeared but at the beginning of XXth century, the botanic garden people were already used to artificially pollinate the female plant.

I think that we see now belong to the 2nd or 3rd generation.

Anyway Peradeniya gardeners are so good in germinating these Lodoicea seeds they could fill all our IPS gardens with seedlings if only…...

Philippe

3 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Today I found this older photo in a German book on palms:

574450c9a488d_Lotschert1985-045IMG_8665.

i will update this tree's photo 

• 5 weeks later...
On Tue May 24 2016 18:33:06 GMT+0530 (Sri Lanka Standard, Pal Meir said:

Today I found this older photo in a German book on palms:

574450c9a488d_Lotschert1985-045IMG_8665.

31 year growth 

P1100043.jpg

• Upvote 3

Ahamed, do you  know the name of the giant of a tree behind the last pic, is it a Giant "Dun" ? I have 1 great looking tree from India/Sri Lanka  called Duabanga grandiflora. Awesome pics of Lodoicea's above.

Pete  :)

2 hours ago, Pedro 65 said:

Ahamed, do you  know the name of the giant of a tree behind the last pic, is it a Giant "Dun" ? I have 1 great looking tree from India/Sri Lanka  called Duabanga grandiflora. Awesome pics of Lodoicea's above.

Pete  :)

it's a baobab tree, 

11 hours ago, Pedro 65 said:

any chance of getting a pic of the "whole" tree ?

Pete :)

i will ,

Edited by User00

Male Granddaddy of all at the Singapore Botanical Garden..

20160618_095709.thumb.jpg.de17d89b828641

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!