• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

itaya amicorum

Scott Cohen

I have another batch of Itaya seedlings, 2 leaf and looking great! When mature they develope large spoke leaves over 5 ft accross  with silver undersides. It's also worth noting this palm has no spines or anything sharp to stab those that pass. 

10$ea

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

image.png

• Upvote 1

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

1 hour ago, Scott Cohen said:

I have another batch of Itaya seedlings, 2 leaf and looking great! When mature they develope large spoke leaves over 5 ft accross  with silver undersides. It's also worth noting this palm has no spines or anything sharp to stab those that pass. 

10$ea

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

image.png

Any chance I could grow that here?  Like any chance at all.

To the best of my knowledge they like warm tropical, so in the ground would probably be difficult. However I don't know anyone who has tried.... 

Scott, I have two that have been in the ground for many years. You have seen them.

Dale

Dale F. Holton

7 hours ago, Scott Cohen said:

To the best of my knowledge they like warm tropical, so in the ground would probably be difficult. However I don't know anyone who has tried.... 

Well perhaps we should try........

They are cold hardy to lower 30's. I'm just not too sure how they'll do with consistent low humidity and even less amounts of rain through the year.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 1 month later...

I have more Itaya ready! 20 available and all pushing a second leaf. $10ea or $8ea for orders of 10 or more. 

I think they would grow in SoCal, but need water and will most likely be slow. They are related to Thrinax and Coccothrinax, just a shady, wetter habitat. Scott, will you be around this weekend? I will be in Miami for poker and might take few off your hands. :)

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

On 3/23/2016, 3:23:31, Scott Cohen said:

the one in the ground at George Zamis' is spectacular...in Davie Fla

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Thanks Mike, I was actually referring to Sabal Steve's question on if they would grow in Cali :D