• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus microphylla

caixeta

In my opinion, the most beautiful of all Syagrus  .After journey of almost 4000Km, finally found the Syagrus microphylla, in very sandy soils, about 1100maltitude,   5710e0323574b_Mucug062.thumb.JPG.c1544c55710dfde8127d_Mucug064.thumb.JPG.f8d7e165710e0a25dd68_Mucug065.thumb.JPG.a08c2745710e0f422932_Mucug067.thumb.JPG.d60a37e5710e15e678ff_Mucug068.thumb.JPG.11ac71dEndemic of Morro do Chapéu municipality .   Leaves silver-bluish.             "  SIMPLY MAGNIFICENT "

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

Caixeta

Great habitat pix! Does that area burn often or are the Syagrus small because of quick draining sand and low rainfall? Does the Allagoptera stay small as well?

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

Just saw the Allagoptera thread below.  Looks like they stay small too.  Thanks for all of the great habitat pix.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

Your dwarf Syagrus pictures are really nice. Thanks for posting.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Great pictures!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Just consider, in order to appreciate those posts, that the Field Guide misses pictures of almost all  the acaulescent Syagrus spp, not to mention inflorescences and fruits... Invaluable contribution

• Upvote 4

Nice little palm. I wish I hadn't been forced to give up on Syagrus genus because of fusiarum wilt.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thank you for all the great pictures Caixeta. Looks like a great species for anyone with limited space to try growing.

When are the seeds ready to be picked in the southern hemisphere? Here in North America, natives like Serenoa are blooming now, Sabals should soon, and seeds would be ready at the end of the growing season (I remember picking them in December last year). But in Brazil, you should be reaching the end of the growing season now, so the seeds would be very fresh.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

This is a gorgeous little palm that actually looks like it has a chance of living here in South Florida--that sand looks great! When you see those ones from the red sands, forget it. Actually looks like a dwarf blue Allagoptera caudescens... how long till Allagoptera is Syagrus? :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Based from these pictures, it might not be the most appealing of all palms, but it's unique in it's own right. I love the habitat pictures. And surviving through all the elements. Thanks so much for the pictures!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, beauty is unique to the person. They look cute to me and blue is the magic color in my landscape. Blue palms are better than green ones!

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Obrigado for the good photos of Syagrus microphylla in habitat.  I have some small seedlings growing now.  Mauricio, send me a message, I have some seeds for you now.  Abracos, Al B.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

• 1 month later...

looking good MC:greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

Também este bebê com seus rótulos obrigatórios: : D

57a396a2dcb32_Syagrusmicrophylla008.thum

Thanks Pal.

Caixeta

• 4 months later...
On 30/12/2016, 05:58:28, caixeta said:

58654e9e78cd8_Plantarum103.thumb.JPG.f6858654f10cad18_Plantarum104.thumb.JPG.1f158654f88da2a7_Plantarum105.thumb.JPG.2ba58654ff669dda_Plantarum106.thumb.JPG.8b3Syagrus microphylla on Institute Plantarum.58654d78d6c6b_Plantarum102.thumb.JPG.6bb

Mauricio.S microphylla is certain a very eye catching Dwarf Syagrus, Palm no matter what genus it belongs to.  

Happy New Year.

Pete

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
7 hours ago, caixeta said:

Flowers.5b6db944dcbc7_Corymbiacitriodora089.thum5b6db94c01ea4_Corymbiacitriodora090.thum5b6db95440966_Corymbiacitriodora091.thum

Hope you will get some seeds from this plant! 

We don't mind if you share them with us :D

• 6 months later...

In my region light frosts , it originates at 1100m altitude, so I think it is tolerant as Syagrus romanzoffiana.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Caixeta

@caixeta I know that habitat shots are very popular, and yours were good too,

but I am yet to see a plant that cannot be grown to look even better in a more protected/controlled environment,

like that one in your lawn.  

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

• 1 month later...

Two curiosities :    A)   553671975_GerminaoSyagrusmicrophylla009.thumb.JPG.9076c1d6eb2794e5b7a57e625fc7236c.JPG One seed with 2 sprouts , had never seen in Syagrus , very common in Butia.

• Like 1

Caixeta

B :    A root  releasing 2 sprouts ( very rare ) . Had anyone ever seen it ?390625508_Germinao_Syagrus_microphylla_010.thumb.JPG.b6e17891f77a0817386fd187b3a58902.JPG316401920_Germinao_Syagrus_microphylla_011.thumb.JPG.0212635a764ade0f01f0c057a5520b46.JPG241749512_Germinao_Syagrus_microphylla_012.thumb.JPG.0ba6896d37116b9c703c767281c1659a.JPG

• Like 2

Caixeta

Muito legal!  Gosto muito dessa Syagrus também!!  Parabéns!  Em breve pode colocar sementes de sua palmeira.  :) 

Jon

Jon Sunder