• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sylvester Palm Splitting

mleko

Hey gang, planted this tree about a year ago, has put on about 18" of trunks since then but I've noticed that its splitting at the bottom, is this normal? Am I giving too much water? Not enough?

IMG_0643 resize.jpg

Edited by mleko
Picture
  • Upvote 1

Thinking it could be the expanding girth of the trunk, Top growth is fine I assume?

Cheers, Barrie.

• Upvote 1

I remember reading that it happens from long periods of root saturation, but not sure if it was a scientific source.

My old canary palm had a giant split in it and was still trucking along with no care whatsoever, you should be okay with a smaller split. I was always worried about fungus/insects but I was either lucky or they are as tough as the legends have foretold...

It is most Likely expanding its base. If it's humid enough you will get roots busting out. some Phoenix seem to do this. I'd put more soil around the base.

• Upvote 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Yes its very healthy and its splitting to make way for roots to come out.Our palm has about 3 feet of roots..

if possible i will upload stills of it...

love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thanks for the responses. The growth is good, put up 18" in the last year, has a head full of frawns. There is a big root coming out of the side of it at the bottom as you can see in the picture... I wish there was a way to stop this, might have to plant some shrubs around it to hide it if it gets too high. 

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay here's stills of our Phoenix sylvestris ( silver date palm, sugar date palm or wild date palm )

20160428_163039.thumb.jpg.2b946eb693bc8d

20160428_163214.thumb.jpg.9fea86ef4a5aed

20160428_163201.thumb.jpg.c1a3a7c84bb169

20160428_163139.thumb.jpg.b07aee9246a4be

Btw most of the Phoenix Palms which grow tall and ones having big crown of fronds do exhibit this tendency. This is done to help the palm to handle the weight of the crown especially in areas where there are constant heavy breeze,So that its foot does not snap.And also its a sign of robust health of the palm.i.e its sucking lot of water and nutrients from the soil.

Love,

Kris.

Edited by Kris
  • Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif