• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Have a Seat in the Garden

Kim

On 5/18/2016, 2:30:50, Kim said:

Dypsis sp. 'Jurassic Park' (formerly misidentified as Tokoravina) is living up to its epithet.

DSC_0167.thumb.jpg.ddffde2c9547345f14aa9

Neoveitchia storckii along the driveway, a couple of Loxococcus rupicola to the left.

DSC_0170.thumb.jpg.17aaddbfaf974c05adc62

Alien resident from Madagascar

DSC_0168.thumb.jpg.c8dd49fd4bfd38f59c776

Hm, what do we call D. sp. 'Mealybug' these days?

DSC_0172.thumb.jpg.3cde3e52886f03b02da41DSC_0173.thumb.jpg.52f029f0a3c0cc225c853

Hi Kim, 

Your garden is looking spectacular, I'm with Bill regarding your 'Jurassic Park' it certainly isn't that. Does the new leaf open copper or pink? 

All best, Pete :)

• Upvote 3

YAY! Kim's thread found our missing Pete! :wub:

But Pete touched on what I was alluding to and didn't really know it. I think "Jurrasic parks" of the last 8-10 years or so don't look the same as some prior to that. Somewhat like for a while when I first started that almost every "newly found Dypsis" looked just like a Carlsmithii... because it was. Somewhere in the chain it got misidentified.

Pete, could you post what you have as Jurassic Park... if you have one as such?

• Upvote 3

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

WOW,

In the same thread we can see both wonderful pics of Kim's garden and Pete's comeback.
That makes a good day for me! 

Pete, willl we be so lucky that we'll discover new pictures of your garden soon? new posts? Thanks.

• Upvote 2

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Pete!! Hey, nice to hear from you. B)  How about an update of your garden?  Your fans have missed you.

Copper or pink leaf?.......Honestly, I don't know.  As an absentee gardener, I don't always get to see the spears open. :(  But to Bill's original question, this Jurassic Park/Tokoravina/Jurassic Park/Pilulifera is definitely different from the D. prestoniana.  Similar in many ways, but clearly different when you look at one and then the other.  What do you think it is, Pete?  Bill?  Ya gotta love another Dypsis mystery question.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim I think I would like to a drink at each of those locations...no picture of a lemurophoenix?

• Upvote 1

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

3 hours ago, Kim said:

Pete!! Hey, nice to hear from you. B)  How about an update of your garden?  Your fans have missed you.

Copper or pink leaf?.......Honestly, I don't know.  As an absentee gardener, I don't always get to see the spears open. :(  But to Bill's original question, this Jurassic Park/Tokoravina/Jurassic Park/Pilulifera is definitely different from the D. prestoniana.  Similar in many ways, but clearly different when you look at one and then the other.  What do you think it is, Pete?  Bill?  Ya gotta love another Dypsis mystery question.

Thanks Kim, lovely too see a small section of of beautiful gardens..

Kim, I still like to call It Jurassic Park as the name suits and I really find it hard to believe its piluifera.

Anyway, the "Real" J Park is very dark green, has very long petioles and very uniform long neat leaves as pics show on on Palmpedia, its a rare palm in palms enthusiasts gardens.

Sorry sweetheart, but I think yours is a Presto hybrid and most of what folks are showing in Hawaii as J Park certainly isnt apart from Bo,s old garden and  no doubt Jerry A has 1.

The gardens here are growing well and I had a year off Palms and got  more into broms so not too long. but dont hold your breath, I will post some pics and Ive finally got into Vriesea,s, spectacular colour they add and I know you are a real fan of those. :)

Big Hi back to Bill and Philippe and everyone else.

Kim, every time a J Park opens its new spear its "always" Pink, Copper or Coffee coloured.

All Best  Pete  :)

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Pedro 65 said:

Thanks Kim, lovely too see a small section of of beautiful gardens..

Kim, I still like to call It Jurassic Park as the name suits and I really find it hard to believe its piluifera.

Anyway, the "Real" J Park is very dark green, has very long petioles and very uniform long neat leaves as pics show on on Palmpedia, its a rare palm in palms enthusiasts gardens.

Sorry sweetheart, but I think yours is a Presto hybrid and most of what folks are showing in Hawaii as J Park certainly isnt apart from Bo,s old garden and  no doubt Jerry A has 1.

The gardens here are growing well and I had a year off Palms and got  more into broms so not too long. but dont hold your breath, I will post some pics and Ive finally got into Vriesea,s, spectacular colour they add and I know you are a real fan of those. :)

Big Hi back to Bill and Philippe and everyone else.

Kim, every time a J Park opens its new spear its "always" Pink, Copper or Coffee coloured.

All Best  Pete  :)

Welcome back Pete. Good to see you here.

I agree with you on the JP. I have seen a few of these Presto looking things being called that. Clear different between the rare JP that not many have and this newer one that came about.

• Upvote 3

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

These are some great pictures....enjoy them on the big screen at work...thanks

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

good to here from you Pete.:greenthumb: This palm certainly has been a big mystery for me. The copper/coffee/pinkish color you are referring to when the new leaf opens up is a true trait of Jurassic park?

Have you seen this palm growing in habitat? If so can you post pictures of the real thing.

thanks,

Josh-O

• Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Kim,

keep those pictures coming :) 

sheer awesomeness!!!

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

19 hours ago, Josh-O said:

good to here from you Pete.:greenthumb: This palm certainly has been a big mystery for me. The copper/coffee/pinkish color you are referring to when the new leaf opens up is a true trait of Jurassic park?

:}Have you seen this palm growing in habitat? If so can you post pictures of the real thing.

thanks,

Josh-O

Thanks Len and Josh for the welcome back :)

Josh , the above mentioned new leaf colours mentioned are certainly a trait of J Park.

There are pics on Palmpedia under piluifera which of course shows Jeff Marcus's monsters and you will notice a new coloured leaf, there are mistakes on there with Deans and the 1 in Hawaii  with an orange bucket besides it,

Jeff M's JPs are obviously being accidentally X pollinated, Kims plant isnt young so no doubt Jeff now has seed/seedlings/young plants from his J Parks that havnt been Xd.

Kim, sorry Ive come back and interupted your thread , so please accept my appologies and keep posting more gorgeous pics from your garden.

all best Pete  :)

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Pedro 65 said:

Josh , the above mentioned new leaf colours mentioned are certainly a trait of J Park.

There are pics on Palmpedia under piluifera which of course shows Jeff Marcus's monsters and you will notice a new coloured leaf, there are mistakes on there with Deans and the 1 in Hawaii  with an orange bucket besides it,

Jeff M's JPs are obviously being accidentally X pollinated, Kims plant isnt young so no doubt Jeff now has seed/seedlings/young plants from his J Parks that havnt been Xd.

Kim, sorry Ive come back and interupted your thread , so please accept my appologies and keep posting more gorgeous pics from your garden.

Pete, I just looked on palmpedia. now I see what you mean. The palm next to the orange bucket looks like OCWS??

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

4 hours ago, Pedro 65 said:

Thanks Pete.. Glad to know my powers of observation still work some.. :blink: Sadly, I'm pretty sure I've HAD more than one of these... :crying: Especially since some of the pix there are mine..

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

No need to apologize, Pete, this has been very educational for me.  I went out and closely inspected the two palms again, and they are indeed, very, very similar.  I examined older photos of the D. prestoniana, and while some small differences exist, between D. prestoniana and the  palm that came labeled as tokoravina, the difference in ages won't let me feel 100% sure if they are twins, or brothers from another mother, or cousins. The palm is a fast grower, so it won't be long before trunking, and that will tell us more.  I referred back to the thread where Dean announced for Marcus and Dransfield the name change from Jurassic Park to pilulifera, and the Hawaiian JP's are discussed quite a bit, so I seem to have one of this group from a certain batch.  I bought this one from Bo, but I'll have to ask him the ultimate source of the palm.  He germinated lots of palms and also bought lots of palms from others, maybe we can track it down.

Whether I have 2 Dypsis prestoniana, which I like a lot, or some kind of hybrid, I can't complain.  They are spectacular palms and so satisfying to see them grow to massive proportions so quickly.  My only disappointment will be not to have a true Jurassic Park -- but maybe I can find one.  Not that I have much space left for these monster Dypsis....  In the way WAY back of my 1st acre I have planted 3 D. bejofo, and have 3 more from the same batch of seed waiting in pots, plus something like 5 more seedlings from seed collected at a friend's garden.  Wow, where will they all go?  The 3 in the ground are exploding (relatively speaking!) compared to their brothers still in pots.  My place is going to be on giant Dypsis overload. :o For the Velez crowd, that's not a problem.  If you're more in the Burle Marx school where mass plantings are balanced by open spaces, it can become a design problem.   :rolleyes:

• Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Beautiful garden! Especially like the Clinostigma's.

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

31 minutes ago, Kim said:

I bought this one from Bo, but I'll have to ask him the ultimate source of the palm.  He germinated lots of palms and also bought lots of palms from others, maybe we can track it down.

Whether I have 2 Dypsis prestoniana, which I like a lot, or some kind of hybrid, I can't complain.  They are spectacular palms and so satisfying to see them grow to massive proportions so quickly.  My only disappointment will be not to have a true Jurassic Park -- but maybe I can find one.  Not that I have much space left for these monster Dypsis....  In the way WAY back of my 1st acre I have planted 3 D. bejofo, and have 3 more from the same batch of seed waiting in pots, plus something like 5 more seedlings from seed collected at a friend's garden.  Wow, where will they all go?  The 3 in the ground are exploding (relatively speaking!) compared to their brothers still in pots.  My place is going to be on giant Dypsis overload. :o For the Velez crowd, that's not a problem.  If you're more in the Burle Marx school where mass plantings are balanced by open spaces, it can become a design problem.   :rolleyes:

"Giant Dypsis overload" - I fail to see the problem! :D And yes, I do have some background information. Not that it necessarily is going to solve anything, though! :mrlooney: When I was running my little palm nursery (started it in 2005 and liquidated in early 2011) I germinated lots of stuff from my own mature palms but in some cases where I knew it would take a long time for my palms to produce I also bought seedlings from Floribunda and then grew them up into larger sizes. Many of the big Dypsis palms that Kim now has growing in her garden fall in the second category. The questionable Jurassic Park (a spectacular palm, I might add) did indeed originate from Floribunda. I bought a total of 30 of these little guys (in a community pot) from Jeff on February 16, 2007. In other words, they were small. I moved them all up into 1G pots right away, and into 2G pots a year later and Kim acquired this palm (and a number of others) in Oct. 2010. I believe it was still in the 2G pot at that time.

Kim's now very impressive D. prestoniana has a similar history. I acquired it from Jeff on April 28, 2006 along with 24 others, and they were all in 4 inch pots. In other words, fairly small. Knowing Jeff, I am 100% certain that there was no connection between this batch of D. prestoniana seedlings and the so called JP palms. They were labelled with different names, and presumably had different backgrounds.

Bo-Göran

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2016‎ ‎1‎:‎17‎:‎31‎, sur4z said:

Kim I think I would like to a drink at each of those locations...no picture of a lemurophoenix?

Peter -- come to Hawaii and the beverages will flow freely for you.  But you missed the Lemur photos -- go back to page 1, last 2 photos I posted.  And the wind chime photo shows all 3 Lemurs in the background. :)

Oh my gosh, so many kind comments, I wish I had taken more photos to share.  I meant to get a shot of my Dictyocarium lamarckianum group after weeding, and the big Iriartea deltoidea, and the Marojejya darianii, and on and on.  It got pretty rainy.  Well, lots to share next time I get out with the camera, you all have encouraged my posting, watch out! :winkie:  Thank  you all very much for taking the time to express a thought or two.

Dear Mr. Bill Austin, a thumbs up from a plantsman such as yourself is quite rewarding, thank you!  Some of your babies are out there, too.  My A. hookeriana have suffered shamefully from the weeds and sun, but they are tenacious and will eventually grow out of it.

It's amazing that my garden is inspiring to others -- I always see what needs to be done, and must get out the camera to appreciate what has already been accomplished.  It was only a few years ago that I was in the group drooling over palms grown in the tropics and sub-tropics, and I would tell anyone, don't wait until you retire to begin your Hawaii garden.  Things grow fast, and the body ages.  I'll stop there. ;)

I see Bo has given his history on the palm in question.  I wonder what Jeff Marcus could tell us now about them?

Kim Cyr

OCWS (orange-crownshaft white stem)? I have literally never heard if this before. Anyhow, here is what it looks like today:

pilulifera_maybe_1_MLM_052116.thumb.JPG.

Here is a detail of the base. Note the bulging lower parts of the petioles:

pilulifera_maybe_1_base_MLM_052116.thumb

This plant was obtained from Bo's going-out-of-business sale labeled Dypsis tokoravina, originally from Jeff, who previously had the label "Jurassic Park" on it. So it is no doubt from the same population as the first ones Bo mentioned that he got from Jeff in 2007.

Later, in July 2007, I bought seeds labeled Dypsis prestoniana from RPS. Here is one that grew well and got planted out in April 2013:

pilulifera_maybe_3_MLM_052116.thumb.JPG.

And a shot of the base:

pilulifera_maybe_3_base_MLM_052116.thumb

I would be hard-pressed to define a difference other than size.

In October 2009, I bought more seeds labeled Dypsis prestoniana from RPS, but this time thru the CFPACS Seedbank. One of the larger ones got planted out in August 2014:

pilulifera_maybe_4_MLM_052116.thumb.JPG.

It sure looks just like the other ones except for size. And here is a shot of the containerized (2-gal) ones that I still have in my shadehouse:

piluliferas_maybe_containerized_MLM_0521

Evidently, for big Dypsis, there is an advantage to being in the ground. Others have been sold to friends or contributed to silent auctions, etc.

Now, to muddy the waters, I returned several weeks later to Bo's sale and I purchased another one of the palms labeled Dypsis tokoravina. It got planted out in February 2013 (the original, big, one was planted in April 2012), and here it is today:

pilulifera_maybe_2_MLM_052116.thumb.JPG.

Does this one look like the others? Not to me. Even the smaller containerized palms have more curl to the leaves. If any of you Dypsis experts have answers or comments, feel free to share.

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Mystery Dypsis = Dypstery!

• Upvote 1

KIM,

WoW, WoW, WoW!  Awesome garden over there in HI!  I hope to see it sometime!

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

Never, even if I lived a thousand years, could I imagine owning and managing such a wonderful garden.  Thank you for posting the pics, Kim.

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

On 5/22/2016, 3:47:05, Kim said:

My only disappointment will be not to have a true Jurassic Park -- but maybe I can find one.

Kim, There's one at our place....

20160523_162456.thumb.jpg.c3c25292f67fca

20160523_162335.thumb.jpg.0cb9f1d6dc19c7

20160523_162315.thumb.jpg.b0266d397bc2cf

20160523_162530.thumb.jpg.ef833d4662ef51

• Upvote 3

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

:lol::lol:  Love it!

Kim Cyr

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016‎ ‎2‎:‎00‎:‎39‎, mike in kurtistown said:

OCWS (orange-crownshaft white stem)? I have literally never heard if this before. Anyhow, here is what it looks like today:

pilulifera_maybe_1_MLM_052116.thumb.JPG.

Here is a detail of the base. Note the bulging lower parts of the petioles:

pilulifera_maybe_1_base_MLM_052116.thumb

This plant was obtained from Bo's going-out-of-business sale labeled Dypsis tokoravina, originally from Jeff, who previously had the label "Jurassic Park" on it. So it is no doubt from the same population as the first ones Bo mentioned that he got from Jeff in 2007.

Later, in July 2007, I bought seeds labeled Dypsis prestoniana from RPS. Here is one that grew well and got planted out in April 2013:

pilulifera_maybe_3_MLM_052116.thumb.JPG.

And a shot of the base:

pilulifera_maybe_3_base_MLM_052116.thumb

I would be hard-pressed to define a difference other than size.

In October 2009, I bought more seeds labeled Dypsis prestoniana from RPS, but this time thru the CFPACS Seedbank. One of the larger ones got planted out in August 2014:

pilulifera_maybe_4_MLM_052116.thumb.JPG.

It sure looks just like the other ones except for size. And here is a shot of the containerized (2-gal) ones that I still have in my shadehouse:

piluliferas_maybe_containerized_MLM_0521

Evidently, for big Dypsis, there is an advantage to being in the ground. Others have been sold to friends or contributed to silent auctions, etc.

Now, to muddy the waters, I returned several weeks later to Bo's sale and I purchased another one of the palms labeled Dypsis tokoravina. It got planted out in February 2013 (the original, big, one was planted in April 2012), and here it is today:

pilulifera_maybe_2_MLM_052116.thumb.JPG.

Does this one look like the others? Not to me. Even the smaller containerized palms have more curl to the leaves. If any of you Dypsis experts have answers or comments, feel free to share.

I would also like to know if Mike's last palm pictured is "the real JP" or something else.  I agree it looks different.  Mike --is it slower than the others pictured?

Kim Cyr

22 hours ago, el-blanco said:

KIM,

WoW, WoW, WoW!  Awesome garden over there in HI!  I hope to see it sometime!

Jeff

Anyone is welcome to visit!

22 hours ago, Keith in SoJax said:

Never, even if I lived a thousand years, could I imagine owning and managing such a wonderful garden.  Thank you for posting the pics, Kim.

Yes, you could.  You could.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016‎ ‎10‎:‎53‎:‎35‎, Palmaceae said:

Beautiful garden! Especially like the Clinostigma's.

Ah, Clinostigma, such a dreamy palm, right?

Seriously, everyone, sincere thanks for the compliments on the garden. Each and every comment kind of blew me away.

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Kim,

The answer to your question is yes. The last, different, palm was in the same group of pots on the floor of the shadehouse at Bo's as the big one, though I purchased it several weeks later. It was just a little smaller in the pot at the time. Since planting, the big one has erupted out of the ground like Jack's beanstalk, while the growth rate of the other, while not slow, has been much more gradual.

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

4 hours ago, Kim said:

I would also like to know if Mike's last palm pictured is "the real JP" or something else.  I agree it looks different.  Mike --is it slower than the others pictured?

Hi Kim, Mikes last pic is certainly not the "real" JP as they have grouped and fanned within the group leaflets like they do as adults even when young, sorry Mike .:(      Pete

I am only a couple of islands away, but wow, there is something about the Big Island that is magical. I have roughly the same temps and climate, but nothing growing like that.

your garden is stunning.

thank you for sharing 

much aloha

Colin

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
17 hours ago, Kevin S said:

Kim your garden is looking real good. Thank you for sharing some pictures.

Thanks Kevin!

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Awesome growth since we've visited Kim...everything looking perfect...gorgeous Lemuro, among others...

Where did all those vestiarias go? Hermínio's inspiration as I recall...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Kim I had missed all the recent posts until today.

I enjoyed them, but also enjoyed a replay of your original posts.

One of my all time favorite topics.

Thanks again.

Cindy Adair