• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hechtia glauca planting advice

Tracy

I have been growing my Hechtia glauca in a pot for several years now.  I was at the Huntington Gardens and saw a grouping planted in the ground in partial shade (getting at least late afternoon shade in summer).  It got me thinking about moving mine from a pot into the ground, as mine either needs to be planted up, or planted in the ground soon.  I know that the Huntington gets much warmer than I do in their cactus/succulent area.  So I'm wondering how much sun or shade to plant mine in.  Any other experience with them will be appreciated.  My potted plant has been on my Trex deck with gets quite hot, reflecting heat, with full sun to about 2pm, but I know that the ground here isn't nearly as hot as the deck can get.  The photo is one in the Huntington's collection.20160806-LI9A5614.thumb.jpg.10218f94ddc0

• Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Also have one of these. At the house, i keep it in half day filtered shade. Full sun really beat it up. While at Desert Botanical this past Tuesday, i noticed theirs are in in a bed that gets similar light.. Looking at it, you can see the damage on plants exposed to more sun/worst of the heat, while others further back remain greener and exhibit far less burn. Amazed to see this species filling an entire Planting bed. Flowers (on the stalk behind/above the sign) have a faint fragrance up close.

57af96a87754a_DSCN1734(581x775).thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

i keep it in half day filtered shade.

Based on what you have done, the example at the Desert Botanical, and what I saw at the Huntington, it sounds like I will do best keeping it in similar light.  Shucks, I have a great spot, but it would get more sun than that.  Will have to look for another spot with just the am sun.

16 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Amazed to see this species filling an entire Planting bed

I agree.  The ones at the Huntington didn't seem to be expanding territory.  I know how many bromeliads can form colonies which can get out of control... I need to do something about one of my Puya alpestris colonies in the front, as its doing exactly that, expanding where I don't want it to go.  I guess I will find out what Hechtia glauca will do once I get it into the ground.

8 hours ago, Gonzer said:

They'll handle full sun in Leucadia all day long.

Are you growing any up in Carlsbad?  I've had my plant for about 4 or 5 years now, but always kept it in spots with full am to maybe 2pm at the latest of full sun.  The tips started getting red with crispy tips if I ever moved it to a spot where it had more sun (Carlsbad before here), but maybe I was being a little too stingy with the water.  Thanks for the tip, as its still not planted yet, so I have time to reconsider its ultimate home in the ground.

Personally I don't grow Hechtias Tracy. One of the my pals who has a home off the 8 across from the college has one of the most extensive collections of Dyckias and Hechtias growing mainly in the full inland sun. Some exhibit the stress symptoms you refer to but all in all they handle the inland sun fine.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

I noticed that my Hechtia glauca has decided to try to flower.  It is hard to tell if the inflorescence is coming from the base of the larger plant or from the stunted pup which came from the base and has been stymied in growth from the adjacent rock. 

20200618-BH3I0323.jpg

20200618-BH3I0322.jpg

That fella's holding a lotta leaves! Looks great. Can't say I've seen a pup with so many and flowering to boot.

• 7 months later...

It seems to enjoy a little more shade as some things around it create more filtered light rather than full sun.

20210124-BH3I2386.jpg

I have a number of Hechtias and Dyckias in pots that get afternoon sun year round here in FL and little to no irrigation. They hate my alkaline, calcareous soil so I don't risk potting them.  I place many of my large potted Hechtias on blocks all around the Garden Lot.

Hechtia Explosion

2083200825_HechtiaExplosion0209-19-18.thumb.jpg.9552e776337549dddfe61b2c640d195a.jpg

Hechtia sp

948488407_Hechtiasp0109-19-18.thumb.jpg.ebd5a3a3080826691c9ce24eef5aed89.jpg

Dyckia blue-black sp

1267412282_DyckiaBlueBlack0109-19-18.thumb.jpg.661058ab7bd08b7d748e0abf88c5ecf1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 1/25/2021 at 9:17 AM, PalmatierMeg said:

Hechtia sp

948488407_Hechtiasp0109-19-18.thumb.jpg.ebd5a3a3080826691c9ce24eef5aed89.jpg

Resembles a Dyckia hybrid known as D "Naked Lady".  I believe that "Naked Lady" is thought to be a Dyckia brevifolia hybrid, but not sure with what.

20210129-BH3I2519.jpg

20210129-BH3I2520.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

This Hechtia glauca has produced some unusual looking pups.  One pup flowered and subsequently died, then it produced this other offset which has many fine narrow leaves.  Both pups had loads of leaves as can be seen of the current one.  The original main plant has not flowered and has been propelled upwards from the pups it produced. 

20230317_083833.jpg

20230317_083840.jpg

• Upvote 1