• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Solo Papaya flower... help?

Tracy

So I have only one Solo Papaya that I grew last summer that survived some neglect.  It is flowering for the first time and I'm trying to identify the sex... female or hermaphrodite.  If it's female, I'm out of luck with no male or hermaphrodite near to pollinate it.  I know its not male, and male are extremely unusual according to research online I have done.  I'm hoping this appears to be hermaphrodite, so the fruit will stick.  I only worry that my perspective is a bit tainted, as I WANT it to be hermaphrodite so I will get fruit.  Hoping that some of you who live in tropics and see these things all the time will be able to easily identify the flowers and confirm my hopes.... or dash them if I won't get viable fruit without another male around.  Take a look and let me know.

Are the buds more cylindrical or conical?   I can't tell if that flower has both stamen and ovary or just ovary.

20160815-LI9A5720.jpg

20160815-LI9A5722.jpg

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I am like you.

I planted this year a small Papaya. It is growing fast and 4-6 weeks ago started to flowering. The first flowers was like yours, i think female flowers.

But now it is making different flowers, i think they are hermaphrodite flowers and may be, i have now two small papayas.

IMG-20160816-WA0009.thumb.jpg.edfe67ef7d

And i think this is the papaya

IMG-20160816-WA0008.thumb.jpg.dc88db91e9

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2016, 9:28:47, Monòver said:

I am like you.

I planted this year a small Papaya. It is growing fast and 4-6 weeks ago started to flowering. The first flowers was like yours, i think female flowers.

But now it is making different flowers, i think they are hermaphrodite flowers and may be, i have now two small papayas.

IMG-20160816-WA0009.thumb.jpg.edfe67ef7d

And i think this is the papaya

IMG-20160816-WA0008.thumb.jpg.dc88db91e9

I agree, how are yours doing?  As mine flowers now, it is much more distinct in showing the stamens.  The first few flowers fell off, but now they are staying on and producing small fruit which are continuing to grow.20160912-104A4205.thumb.jpg.c757b0e0d85a

Mine is growing fast and with 4 papaya fruits in this moment.

It is flowering a lot and the flowers are like yours.

A few pictures.IMG-20160913-WA0007.thumb.jpg.262a9462b1IMG-20160913-WA0006.thumb.jpg.ed676f3d40

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
On 12/15/2016, 8:41:00, Monòver said:

Mine Papaya is a beast!!! I think next year i will enjoy this big fruits.

IMG_20161215_173218397.thumb.jpg.8d06ef0

Either you have small hands or that is a big papaya.  Sorry for that bad joke.  Those are big papaya's!  Any idea what variety?  We are getting cold here so, I am betting I will be in the same boat as you, waiting until things warm up again in Spring/Summer before mine ripen.  This was a month ago, and mine has continued flowering over that time and putting out new fruit.  As mentioned in the opener, mine is a Solo Hawaiian variety of papaya.20161119-104A4670.thumb.jpg.251a63a2892c

• Upvote 2

I think i have a big hand :floor:

IMG_20161217_090845483.thumb.jpg.09fcecb

I don't know the variety. I bought one fruit last year and planted the seeds.

The only one information was the fruit is from Canary islands.

Now, we must wait to Spring-Summer and cross fingers to have a mild Winter.