• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Metroxylon sago

colin Peters

Nice new red leaf on Metroxylon sago, Lyon arboretum Oahu HI,  with poison green dart frog nearby. 

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2775 (2).jpg

• Upvote 4

I knew Hawaii had a problem with introduced species but didn't know this included poison dart frogs! Cool and bad at the same time. The plant is great too.

Regards Neil

Never have seen a frog  there before, but at the visitors center they have pictures of them. They are really cool looking. Not

sure if they are harmful to the environment, but like most invasive's here, they don't belong.

aloha

Colin, beautiful M. sagu, but very disturbing about the poison green dart frog. Lord knows what's lurking out there in our forests.

The list of invasive species just keeps growing.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

They were intentionally introduced into Manoa valley (I think in the 50s) and are harmless (no poison is made). All the ecological studies on them have not shown any negative consequence as far as Im aware. As a resident of Manoa valley I love them because they eat mosquitos as both larvae and adults.

Edited by krishnaraoji88
  • Upvote 3

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

5 hours ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

They were intentionally introduced into Manoa valley (I think in the 50s) and are harmless (no poison is made). All the ecological studies on them have not shown any negative consequence as far as Im aware. As a resident of Manoa valley I love them because they eat mosquitos as both larvae and adults.

Poison dart frog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I want a seedling of this palm please , any spare around Australa ?.

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Would make a great hedge or cover. Hasn't grown excessively over the years and has beautiful splashes of red leaves. Never

seen it available here in any size. good luck in finding it over there

aloha

• Upvote 1

On September 17, 2016 at 11:40:13 PM, Pedro 65 said:

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~yamaga/poisondart.html

we don't have the fire ants in Manoa that produce the alkaloids

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Metroxylon sago is a species that you don't see grown in cultivation very often. It's cool to know that it has a red new leaf!

It's also interesting about the poison dart frogs! 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

There is a ton of information and pictures in palmpedia about M. sago.  The marker on the palm has it spelled "sago", but I think

it is supposed to be "sagu"

And thanks for the frog info kishnarao, It seems they have an abundance of food with all the mosquitos in

the valley and at the arboretum. Lets hope the fire ants don't get established here, like on the big island.   aloha

4 hours ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~yamaga/poisondart.html

we don't have the fire ants in Manoa that produce the alkaloids

We dont have Fire ants either, :) I was "supporting" your comment above "if" you read Wikipedia about the so called poison frog, not very harmless at all by what Wiki writes   ;)