• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Whose growing Coccothrinax Miraguama?

Cocoa Beach Jason

22 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

A very easy grow.

What kind of growth rate have people experienced in Florida with these guys?

I've got one in the ground here in Key Largo, about 3' tall now, just starting to trunk and show the burlap like fiber wrap.In my experience they like alkaline rock but will adapt to neutral conditions and are virtually indestructible albeit very slow. I'll try to get a pic for you tomorrow, dark now. I know Ken Johnson has some nice ones growing also, that's where I got mine about 3 yrs. ago.

Here are a few pics of my miraguama. It was a bit bigger than yours when I got it three years ago but suffered from the transplant. Put out about one leaf the first year. It's settled in and is picking up speed now. Still a very slow species. My Coccothrinax crinita outpaces this one 3 to 1 in speed.

IMG_20161110_172503_077[1].jpg

IMG_20161110_172438_604[1].jpg

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

What kind of growth rate have people experienced in Florida with these guys?

I would say when happy and before flowering age, you can expect a good foot of growth per year. These like a good amount of water, not though in a low lying area with poor drainage and fed 2-3 times a year. And of course the more sun the better.

• Upvote 2

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On 11/10/2016, 6:43:11, Mandrew968 said:

<-----  This guy

miraguama.jpg

Don't be fooled, those leaves are very thick gauge. Hard leafer for sure and all miraguama have a hard leaf--if it's soft, it's off.

• Upvote 2

I also have one growing in my garden. It has experienced light frost and a whole month with max temp at 5 C (fortunately though with almost no freeze). True however that in a slope it needs a lot of water during summer to promote decent growth.

On 11/11/2016, 2:03:35, Mandrew968 said:

miraguama.jpg

Don't be fooled, those leaves are very thick gauge. Hard leafer for sure and all miraguama have a hard leaf--if it's soft, it's off.

Hmm, i fear 'hard' has a realtive meaning depending on particular climate and individual growing conditions. In my climate with xerothermic summer I would call mine growing in shade and competing with two lAllagoptera rather soft. But up to now it does ok... 

If the leaf is soft or floppy, it is not a pure miraguama. The counterfeit coccos are all over south Florida and when i first got into this business I bought 3 fake miraguama. It happens! Just not anymore...

1 hour ago, Mandrew968 said:

If the leaf is soft or floppy, it is not a pure miraguama. The counterfeit coccos are all over south Florida and when i first got into this business I bought 3 fake miraguama. It happens! Just not anymore...

The leaf of my plant is super hard almost like plastic.

This past year I have germinated one from seed.  Do you guys think that it would do OK in zone 9b?  From its initial growth rate I don't think it would be ready to plant out for another year or two.

Jon Sunder

Here is what some consider to be miraguama, but I call it cupularis. Very stiff cupped leaves and this is the first ever flower it has had for me.

cup1.jpg

cup2.jpg

cup3.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/11/2016, 2:20:40, Mandrew968 said:

Here is one of the fake miraguama I was duped on, in my early palm days...

fake.jpg

So fake miraguama also my palm. Strangely enough it began with typicak stiff leaves, later leaves were softer, now again newest leaves are stiff and a second head emerges above ground with stiff leaves. If not miraguama, then what can it be?

IMG_20161128_183733.thumb.jpg.58d6356762IMG_20161128_183800.thumb.jpg.beace9c78dIMG_20161128_183718.thumb.jpg.a118bc6150IMG_20161128_183800.thumb.jpg.beace9c78dIMG_20161128_183733.thumb.jpg.58d6356762IMG_20161128_183718.thumb.jpg.a118bc6150

IMG_20161128_184044.jpg