• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germinating Needle Palm Seeds! (Baggy Method)

PalmTreeDude

I collected these Needle Palm Seeds from Hilton Head island in August, today I cracked open the outer shells and soaked the small seeds for about 4 and a half hours. Not too long, but I think it is good enough. I took the seeds and put them in a plastic baggy with dirt and shook it around and now it is resting on my heat mat, I hope they germinate! 

IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2138.JPG

• Upvote 3

PalmTreeDude

Needle seeds should be light tan. Looks like you still have the "egg" shell on them. Take a pair of pliers & gently squeeze them until you hear a crack & then remove the shell. Easier if the seeds are dry.

1 minute ago, Laaz said:

Needle seeds should be light tan. Looks like you still have the "egg" shell on them. Take a pair of pliers & gently squeeze them until you hear a crack & then remove the shell. Easier if the seeds are dry.

I already did it, those are the insides of the 'egg' shells, they were a tan color, but you can't really see it in the picture. They are pretty small, about 5mm, does that sound right? 

PalmTreeDude

3 hours ago, Laaz said:

Sounds about right. The shell is very thin, but hard to crack. You need pliers.

Correction, the smallest seed is 7mm the largest is 2cm. 

PalmTreeDude

5 hours ago, Laaz said:

And be prepared to wait, they can take months to germinate.

How many months?

(Years?)

I have a bunch I'm still waiting on.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have seen them take up to a year and a half. Normally 3-6 months. Home depot sells them here for $22 for a 5 gal. Not really worth growing from seed for me. I can buy a 5 Gal & cut it up into 3-4 plants. The suckers root very easy.

• Like 1

Lowe's sells them in 5 gal. and 7 gal. here. I will probably end up buying one from there, but I am just trying! 

PalmTreeDude

Needles are relict palms with shrinking habitats. Many set seeds only infrequently and most of those don't germinate. I've tried a number of seeds over the years and have had a total of 3 germinate. In one lot the second seed germinated a year after the first, so they germinate sporadically at best. It's truly a lovely palm that struggles for me down here. I suspect my winters aren't cold enough to relieve the stress of our long, ferocious summers. My alkaline sand may also play a part. I read somewhere that some scientists believe that needle palm seeds germinated easier after passing through the gut of a giant sloth that lived during the Pleistocene. When it went extinct the palm faced a struggle to reproduce and has been in decline ever since. I don't know if that is true but I hope human intervention will keep this species extant long into the future.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Needles are relict palms with shrinking habitats. Many set seeds only infrequently and most of those don't germinate. I've tried a number of seeds over the years and have had a total of 3 germinate. In one lot the second seed germinated a year after the first, so they germinate sporadically at best. It's truly a lovely palm that struggles for me down here. I suspect my winters aren't cold enough to relieve the stress of our long, ferocious summers. My alkaline sand may also play a part. I read somewhere that some scientists believe that needle palm seeds germinated easier after passing through the gut of a giant sloth that lived during the Pleistocene. When it went extinct the palm faced a struggle to reproduce and has been in decline ever since. I don't know if that is true but I hope human intervention will keep this species extant long into the future.

They like to sucker, I guess that is how they really spread easily, but it is a slow process. I think wildlife reservations in their native range should plant a bunch to keep them going. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

• 7 years later...